[sci.military] U.S. Army Division T.O. and E.

military-request@att.att.com (10/24/90)

From: Eric Price <sagpd1!eprice>

	Dear Bill and Fellow sci.military Readers,

    Can any one provide the T.O. and E. ( Table of Organization and
    Equipment) for a U.S. Army Division. This would be down to the
    Batallion/Company level for an Armoured, Mechanized, Light and
    Airborne/Airmobile Division.

    Having only ever served in an Airborne Batallion Combat Team
    ( 1 Bn 509 Inf ABCT) and then in a Combat Engineer Platoon of
    a Combat Support Company (we pulled a lot of guard for B co's
    C.O. since we did have a 60) I semm to be a little confused
    when I read media reports of the 24 'th Divisions Aviation
    Brigade.

					Many Thanks,

					eric aka egp || eprice@sagpd1

    P.S. It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop,
	all the way

bze0307@dcrb.dla.mil (John Champlin) (10/26/90)

From: bze0307@dcrb.dla.mil (John Champlin)
librarian at your local public librarian can get via ILL of the Army FMs
titles by the type of unit you wish to study - my index of FMs etc (DA
PAM 360-10(?)) isn't handy.
	Furthermore the modern Army attaches so many units for added
suppport in an actual operational theater that the basic T/O is only the
bare minimum starting point.  Units traditionally get more Engineer and
transportation support.  A Corps and Army is basically a pool for support
units and Command and Control Center.

morgan@ms.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) (10/29/90)

From: Wes Morgan <morgan@ms.uky.edu>

>From: bze0307@dcrb.dla.mil (John Champlin)
>	Furthermore the modern Army attaches so many units for added
>suppport in an actual operational theater that the basic T/O is only the
>bare minimum starting point.  Units traditionally get more Engineer and
>transportation support.  A Corps and Army is basically a pool for support
>units and Command and Control Center.

You also have to consider the inactive units attached to each
battalion-or-higher unit.  For instance, the 8th Engr Bn (C),
1st Cav Div, FT Hood, TX, has no D Company in peacetime.  In
most battle scenarios, however, D Company would be reactivated
using Army Reserve troops.  In fact, if memory serves, something
like a Reserve BRIGADE would be assigned to D Co, 8th Engr Bn;
they would then be farmed out to the other companies of the
battalion.

One also has to remember that support units such as the Engineers
are not necessarily kept intact.  Most Combat Engineer units can
function at platoon level.  That's exactly what happens; this in-
fantry unit over here gets 1 Engineer platoon, that signal unit
get 1 Engineer platoon, et cetera.  There may be an Engineer pla-
toon listed on many units' TO&E; just keep in mind that they may
not be there until wartime......

--
    | Wes Morgan, not speaking for | {any major site}!ukma!ukecc!morgan |
    | the University of Kentucky's |        morgan@engr.uky.edu         |