[sci.military] Bundeswehr flying MIG-29

kirchner@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (Reinhard Kirchner) (10/17/90)

From: Reinhard Kirchner <kirchner@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de>

Hello,

last week we had in our local newspaper 'Die Rheinpfalz' a foto of a
MIG-29 with Bundeswehr-signs.

So they are really going to use them. The article said the MIG-29 may
even replace the not-yet-ready 'Jaeger 90'.

R. Kirchner
Univ. of Kaiserslautern
( the town between Ramstein Airbase and Sembach Airbase )
kirchner@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de

Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu> (10/19/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>last week we had in our local newspaper 'Die Rheinpfalz' a foto of a
>MIG-29 with Bundeswehr-signs.

Don't you mean the Luftwaffe?  The Bundeswehr is the Army, not the Air Force.

Allan

news@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (10/23/90)

From: news@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:

>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>>last week we had in our local newspaper 'Die Rheinpfalz' a foto of a
>>MIG-29 with Bundeswehr-signs.

>Don't you mean the Luftwaffe?  The Bundeswehr is the Army, not the Air Force.

Sorry, Bundeswehr means the whole armed forces of Germany.
The correct translation would be:

Army      <--> Heer
Navy      <--> Bundesmarine (or in short Marine. Has nothing to do with
	       "Marines" at all, the Bundeswehr has none)
Air Force <--> Bundesluftwaffe (or in short Luftwaffe)
Marines   <--> No pendant (as stated above)

So Bundeswehr means the whole things, including the civil adminstration.

But in detail, your'e right. An aircraft bears the signs
or the air force it belongs to.
On the other hand, forces in the former GDR are NOT under NATO command, so
there still no MIGs flying for NATO.
--
 /     Klaus Moeller, Leiteweg 2, 2940 Wilhelmshaven, West - Germany       \
<      Klaus.Moeller@uniol.uucp                078326@DOLUNI1.BITNET        >

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (10/24/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
> Actually I think what you _really_ mean is the Luftstreitkrafte. The
>German air force hasn't been called the Luftwaffe since the end of the
>Second World War.

Well, in the book about Erich Hartmann, the
modern-day West German airforce is referred to
as the "Bundesluftwaffe". I suppose this would
translate into "Air Force of the Federation".
The book has some interesting comments about
their adoption of the F-104 (Hartmann argued
against it, saying that, for a budding air force,
the F-104 was a little too hot to handle. Hart-
mann commanded the first all-jet Jagdgeschwader.
I belive it was called the Richtofen Geschwader,
carrying on a tradition.
Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

jimcat@rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) (10/24/90)

From: jimcat@rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak)
In article <1990Oct19.032427.12376@cbnews.att.com> ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:

>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>>last week we had in our local newspaper 'Die Rheinpfalz' a foto of a
>>MIG-29 with Bundeswehr-signs.
>
>Don't you mean the Luftwaffe?  The Bundeswehr is the Army, not the Air Force.

 Actually I think what you _really_ mean is the Luftstreitkrafte. The
German air force hasn't been called the Luftwaffe since the end of the
Second World War.

--
 Jim Kasprzak          kasprzak@mts.rpi.edu (internet)
 RPI, Troy, NY         userfe0u@rpitsmts.bitnet

cash@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Cash) (10/24/90)

From: convex!cash@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Cash)

In article <1990Oct19.032427.12376@cbnews.att.com> ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:

>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>>last week we had in our local newspaper 'Die Rheinpfalz' a foto of a
>>MIG-29 with Bundeswehr-signs.

>Don't you mean the Luftwaffe?  The Bundeswehr is the Army, not the Air Force.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, I don't think so. The Luftwaffe ignominiously shut down operations
about 50 years ago.I'm not  sure of the organizational details, but I
believe that the Bundeswehr includes the present German air force.
             |      Die Welt ist alles, was Zerfall ist.     |
Peter Cash   |       (apologies to Ludwig Wittgenstein)      |cash@convex.com

roland@geronimo.pcs.com (Roland Rambau) (10/29/90)

From: roland@geronimo.pcs.com (Roland Rambau)

convex!cash@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Cash) writes:

>In article <1990Oct19.032427.12376@cbnews.att.com> ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:

>>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>>>last week we had in our local newspaper 'Die Rheinpfalz' a foto of a
>>>MIG-29 with Bundeswehr-signs.

>>Don't you mean the Luftwaffe?  The Bundeswehr is the Army, not the Air Force.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>No, I don't think so. The Luftwaffe ignominiously shut down operations
>about 50 years ago.I'm not  sure of the organizational details, but I
>believe that the Bundeswehr includes the present German air force.

Sorry, You are both ( partially ) wrong:

  - "Luftwaffe" ( litterally: "air weapon" ) is still the current
    name of the german air force

  - "Bundeswehr" ( lit. "federal defense" ) is the current inclusive name for
    all german armed forces, which includes 'Heer', 'Marine' and 'Luftwaffe'

  - you probably confused Luftwaffe with the term
    "Wehrmacht" ( lit. "defense force" ) which was the name of the
    german army before 1945. This term is considered incorrect for
    todays military forces.

( and, no, sorry, I don't know ( and probably nobody knows yet ) what
to do with the left over soviet military equipment in the long run; the
Bundeswehr got it, but it seems they don't want it :-)
Roland Rambau

  rra@cochise.pcs.com,   {unido|pyramid}!pcsbst!rra,   2:507/414.2.fidonet