[sci.military] Where to see operationallancasters

davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown) (10/17/90)

From: davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown)

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>They reviewed last year's Geneseo air show
>in Flying Models magazine. Among the airplanes
>present was an Avro Lancaster that came down
>from Canada (if I recall correctly). One of
>the pictures was of the Lancaster and a B-17
>flying together. Must have been a sight. I ex-
>pect the four Merlins on the Lancaster sound
>very different from the radials on the B-17s.

  The Lanc flies out of the Hamilton airport, about 50 miles from Toronto
(and Niagra Falls), and indeed sounds very different from the B-17... A very
smooth whine at moderate power settings, a deep howl at takeoff power.

  Joyce and I sat out off the end of the Toronto International north runway
one day during athe annual airshow and heard the lancaster try to warm up...
and change plugs... and try to warm up... and change plugs... and howl off at
the **low** end of the legal altitudes to show itself to the airport staff
that were hosting it.

  It's well worth the drive over to Hamilton too see the museum there:  the
Lanc is just the biggest aircraft, not necessarily the most interesting.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave or just

phil@hpsmdca.corp.hp.com (Philip Walden) (10/24/90)

From: phil@hpsmdca.corp.hp.com (Philip Walden)

>in Flying Models magazine. Among the airplanes
>present was an Avro Lancaster that came down
>from Canada (if I recall correctly). One of
>the pictures was of the Lancaster and a B-17

I understand that they actually put it together from various
non-flying "museum" pieces. I think the major source of parts
came from a Lancaster displayed in a little town south of
Calgary (town name escapes me). I also saw a Lanc displayed on
a pedestal in a rose garden in Queen Elizabeth park in
Windsor.

Philip Walden
Hewlett Packard
Product Generation Processes Lab
Integrated Product Engineering Systems
3155 Porter Drive, M/S 28AQ
Palo Alto, CA 94304-1213
(415) 857-3899 FAX (415) 857-7499

pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin) (10/29/90)

From: cognos!geovision!pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin)

phil@hpsmdca.corp.hp.com (Philip Walden) writes:
>I understand that they actually put [the Lancaster] together from various
>non-flying "museum" pieces. I think the major source of parts
>came from a Lancaster displayed in a little town south of

After the war, the RCAF sold many of their old Lancs to farmers, etc.

The price was phenomenomally low, and they could recoup the cost by
draining the old oil, gas and glycol.  After that, the farmer had a
lifetime supply of wire and engine parts, and a free chicken coop to boot.
(I'm not sure how useful the Merlin parts would be, perhaps they didn't
sell them with the engines and I'm just making this part up?)

Also, some fly-by-night airline or charter company got one or two of these
surplus Lancs and put them in the air, but were quickly shut down because
these were sold as "unairworthy".

Some others were put up on pedestals in parks, such as the one down near
Ontario Place in Toronto.

I'd be really suprised if there weren't parts kicking around somewhere for
a few more Lancs.
--
Paul Tomblin, Department of Redundancy Department.    ! My employer probably
I'm not fat..... I'm metabolically challenged.        ! does not agree with my