[sci.military] X-15 at Dayton, "Hollywood" Nukes

pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com (LAY ON GROUND. LIGHT FUZE. 26-Oct-1990 0838) (10/29/90)

From: "LAY ON GROUND. LIGHT FUZE.  26-Oct-1990 0838" <pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com>
v126lm7l@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Patrick E Montgomery) inquires:
>My question is as follows:  Are not nuclear weapons detinated buy compressing
>the core of highly radioactive material until the mass is critical?  If so
>couldn't (at least theoretically) the pressure of the sea water on the warhead
>at deep depths cause the warhead to ge critical?

I second the previous opinion:  The pressure rise would be WAY to slow.  One of
the challenges of weapons design is to get the critical mass together fast
enough.  Too "slow" an assembly and the "slowly" occurring chain reaction would
generate sufficient heat/energy to disassemble the weapon before an explosion.
In the specific case, unless the weapon were sealed (don't know if they are),
then water would enter, equalizing the pressures, AND probably poisoning the
reaction.

re X15-mumble-66671
I was at Dayton AF Museum, late July.  They DO have an X-15.  I seem to recall
that it had been modified with added, external fuel/oxidizer tanks, and modified
propulsion system.  Oddly, my slide does show the tail, with numbers 66671.

thanks
dave pierson	Digital Equipment Corporation.