[sci.military] VIFF

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (10/19/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
>From article <1990Oct15.033716.12587@cbnews.att.com>, by paj <paj@gec-mrc.co.uk>:
> I saw this manouver done on the Soviet Su-27 Flanker on TV during the
> Farnborough Airshow.  Does it have any practical use, or is it just a
> neat display exercise (like the Harrier's bow)?
>
> I imagine that it would cause rapid deceleration (causing the bogie to
> fly past into your sights) and might hide the engine well enough to
> lose any heat-seekers.  Even exhaust-seeking IR missiles might nip
> past under the tail since the exhaust jet no longer has the plane
> beyond it.
>
> Paul.

Some news sources reported that the British used the VIFF maneuver
(Vectoring In Forward Flight) during the Falklands party, but I can't
remember reading any authoritative reports of results.

Supposedly, this was considered for use with the earlier AIM-9 models
which had to be fired from behind the target.  At deployment, the
Brits had only the earlier Sidewinders (but were later armed with
AIM-9L).  It was supposed to work like this:

Harrier ahead, with a bandit on his tail.  In level flight, Harrier
pilot rotates the exhaust nozzles to full down (or just past to reverse)
position, resulting in a sudden loss of forward speed plus a rapid gain
in altitude.  The pursuing bandit overtakes and flies past (and under)
the Harrier, which quickly goes back to forward thrust and puts the
AIM-9 up the tailpipe.

Anyway, the Brits thought it had practical value.

Pat Kauffold

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
>Some news sources reported that the British used the VIFF maneuver
>(Vectoring In Forward Flight) during the Falklands party, but I can't
>remember reading any authoritative reports of results.

Ethell&Price's "Air War South Atlantic", still the best account I've seen
of air combat in the Falklands, says quite firmly that these reports were
mistaken, and there was no use of VIFFing whatsoever.  It is important to
realize that the Argentine air force high command got the shakes after
the Vulcan raids, and pulled back all their trained fighter squadrons
to defend the mainland air bases.  The Harriers spent most of the war
picking off relatively defenseless bombers, which could not shoot back
effectively; the only real problem was finding them before they could
attack British ships or ground forces.
--
The type syntax for C is essentially   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
unparsable.             --Rob Pike     |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (10/26/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>The Harriers spent most of the war picking off relatively defenseless
bombers, which could >not shoot back effectively;

Most of the "relatively defenseless bombers" were A-4 Skyhawks, if I'm
not mistaken.  Kind of negates an A-4 resurgence into the front-line US
combat role.  It does make the Harrier look good anyway.

Allan

dmc@otto.yerkes.uchicago.edu (Dave Cole) (10/29/90)

From: dmc@otto.yerkes.uchicago.edu (Dave Cole)
In article <1990Oct26.015212.24827@cbnews.att.com> ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:

>>The Harriers spent most of the war picking off relatively defenseless
>>bombers, which could not shoot back effectively;
>
>Most of the "relatively defenseless bombers" were A-4 Skyhawks, if I'm
>not mistaken.  Kind of negates an A-4 resurgence into the front-line US
>combat role.  It does make the Harrier look good anyway.
>
>Allan

These A-4 Skyhawks were operating at the extreme edge of their range, never
stopped to dogfight, and carried no air-to-air missles.  I'm certain that
with bases close to the front and a couple of AIM-9L's under the wings of
the Skyhawks, the contest wouldn't have been nearly so one-sided.

After all, the Brits never took their carriers west of the Falklands, for
fear of the increased air threat.

Dave Cole
dmc@otto.yerkes.uchicago.edu

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>>The Harriers spent most of the war picking off relatively defenseless
>bombers...
>
>Most of the "relatively defenseless bombers" were A-4 Skyhawks, if I'm
>not mistaken.  Kind of negates an A-4 resurgence into the front-line US
>combat role.  It does make the Harrier look good anyway.

Harriers would show just as poorly with (a) no air-to-air armament,
(b) pilots completely untrained in air combat, (c) a heavy load of
ground-attack weaponry, and (d) incompetent tactics.  The Argentine
pilots were very brave, and their aircraft were reasonably capable,
but they were fighting with one foot in a bucket.

(I originally added (e) practically no fuel to spare, but that was
actually somewhat true of the Harriers too.  The RN held its carriers
as far offshore as possible to interfere with land-based attacks on
them, and this badly limited Harrier combat endurance.  The combination
of long transit times, short endurance on station, and lack of useful
AEW meant that it was the luck of the draw as to whether there was a
Harrier in the right place to attack an incoming raid.  A lot of
the Argentine attacks faced no airborne opposition.)
--

jwm@wdl76.wdl.fac.com (Jon W Meyer) (10/29/90)

From: jwm@wdl76.wdl.fac.com (Jon W Meyer)
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:

>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>>The Harriers spent most of the war picking off relatively defenseless
>bombers, which could >not shoot back effectively;

>Most of the "relatively defenseless bombers" were A-4 Skyhawks, if I'm
>not mistaken.  Kind of negates an A-4 resurgence into the front-line US
>combat role.  It does make the Harrier look good anyway.

>Allan

An aircraft carrying fuel and weapons for an attack against a ground or sea
target is at a disadvantage when faced with aircraft configured for an
air to air role (as the Harriers refered to above were).

This says little if anything about the relative values of the A-4 and Harrier
as strike aircraft.  It just conforms to the idea that laden bombers are
easier targets for interceptors than vice versa.

Jon

cem@cs.brown.edu (Charles E. Moylan) (10/30/90)

From: cem@cs.brown.edu (Charles E. Moylan)

In article <1990Oct26.015212.24827@cbnews.att.com>, ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes (in reference to the Royal Navy Harriers' success in
air combat in the Falklands conflict):

|> Most of the "relatively defenseless bombers" were A-4 Skyhawks, if I'm
|> not mistaken.  Kind of negates an A-4 resurgence into the front-line US
|> combat role.  It does make the Harrier look good anyway.
|>
|> Allan

As I understood it, the high losses experienced by the Argentine A-4's were
not a result of a problem with the plane itself, but rather a lack of
defensive maneuvering/countermeasures by the Argentine pilots.  It's
no problem to shoot down even an F-15 or a MiG-29 if the pilot is just flying in
a straight line, and not dropping any decoys!

--
Charlie Moylan (cem@cs.brown.edu)