[sci.military] Persian Gulf Combat Aircraft--The HueyCobra

jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) (10/26/90)

From: jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher)

Its BAAAACK!   The series on Persian Gulf combat aircraft continues!

Here's number 27 in the series: the HueyCobra.

Bell AH-1F Cobra

	Engine:
		One Textron Lycoming T53-L-703 turboshaft, 1800 hp.

	Performance:
		Maximum speed: 141 mph.
		Maximum inclined climb rate: 16,200 ft/min.
		Hovering ceiling in ground effect: 12,200 feet
		Maximum range: 315 miles.

	Weights:
		Empty weight: 6600 pounds
		Maximum takeoff weight: 10,000 pounds

	Armament:
		One General Electric universal turret in chin mounting under
		nose containing one XM-197 3-barreled 20-mm cannon.
		Stub wings on fuselage sides containing four weapons points.
		Can carry eight BGM-71A TOW antitank missiles mounted in two
		four-packs plus two pods with 7-19 folding fin aircraft
		rockets each.

	Electronics:
		Laser rangefinder
		ballistics computer
		Heads-up display.
		Doppler navigation system

	Remarks:

		Two seat light anti-armor and attack helicopter

		Crew of two (weapons operator and pilot) seated in tandem.

		Originally designed as an interim advanced aerial fire support
		system (AAFSS), for which Lockheed AH-56A Cheyenne was under
		long-term development.

		Model 209 Was basically a redesign of the Model 204 (UH-1A
		Iroquois--the famous Huey) with a new, slender fuselage with
		two seats in tandem.  The rotor, transmission, and powerplant
		were similar to those of UH-1.

		The Model 209 was adopted as the interim AAFSS in 1966 and was
		assigned the designation AH-1G.  The name Cobra was officially
		adopted, but the helicopter was almost always known as the
		HueyCobra.

		The Cheyenne project was eventually canceled, so the Cobra
		had to fulfill the role of the long-term AAFSS until the
		Apache came on line.

		Deliveries of AH-1G began in 1967.  Armed with an Emerson
		Electric TAT-102A nose turret.  At first, the turret carried
		a single GAU-2B/A Minigun in the XM-134 system, but the
		XM-28 system was later adopted which featured two 7.62 mm
		Miniguns, or 2 XM-129 40-mm grenade launchers, or one of each.
		On the weapons hardpoints on the stub wings on the fuselage
		sides, could carry four XM-159 packs of 19 70-mm rockets, four
		XM-157 packs of seven 70-mm rockets, two XM-18 gun pods with
		one Minigun each, or six TOW wire-guided missiles.

		The AH-1G was powered by the Lycoming T53-L-13 turboshaft of
		1250 hp.  Maximum speed was 186 mph, and normal loaded weight
		was 8620 pounds.

		The AH-1G was deployed to Southeast Asia, where it proved
		to be effective and deadly in the hands of Assault Helicopter
		Companies and Air Cavalry.  I think I remember reading that
		several tanks were killed by TOW-equipped helicopters during
		the initial North Vietnamese assault on the South, this being
		the first combat use of this missile.  However, I'm not
		absolutely certain that it was the Cobra that carried the
		TOW during these battles.

		As the Vietnam war wound down, most of the Cobra fleet was
		transferred to Europe.  This called for a conversion of the
		Cobra to the antiarmor role.  290 AH-1Gs were converted to
		AH-1Q configuration, with the capability of carrying the
		Hughes BGM-71 TOW wire-guided antitank missile.  A four-TOW
		pack was carried on each outboard wing hardpoint, and a Sperry
	        Rand Univac helmet sight was provided for the gunner.

		One AH-1G was fitted with an 1825 hp Lycoming T53-L-703 engine
		and was redesignated YAH-1R.

		Features of the Q and R models were combined into the AH-1S,
		which became the main US Army antitank helicopter until the
		advent of the AH-64A Apache.

		Progressive improvements were introduced throughout the S
		series.  The first 755 helicopters in the series were rebuilt
		AH-1Gs and AH-1Qs.  The first 100 newly-built AH-1S helicopters
		(known informally as "Step 1")  were later redesignated AH-1P.
		The next 98 ("Step 2" or "Up-Gun") introduced the General
		Electric universal nose turret which was able to accommodate a
		XM-197 multibarreled 20 mm cannon or a 30 mm gun, plus a
		Baldwin Electronics XM-138 stores management subsytem.  These
		were later designated AH-1E.  The final production version was
		the "Modernized AH-1S" or "Step 3".  It was equipped with a
		fully modernized fire control system, an infrared suppressor
		on the engine exhaust, plus electronics countermeasures
		equipment, laser rangefinder and tracker, ballistics computer,
		heads-up display, doppler navigation system, plus new composite
		blades.  This version was later redesignated AH-1F.

		The AH-1S is built under license in Japan by Fuji Heavy
		Industries.

		The Cobra has been supplied to Israel and to Pakistan.
		Does anyone have any data on the effectiveness of the Cobra
		in Israeli service?

		The BGM-71 TOW (Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire-
		guided) antitank missile weighs 46 pounds and has a warhead
		consisting of an 8.6 lb. shaped charge.  The missile is
		launched from a tube.  The boost charge pops the missile out
		out of the tube, the four wings and the four tail controls
		pop out.  The guidance commands are generated by the optical
		sensor in the sight, which continually measures the position
		of a light source on the missile relative to the line of
		sight and sends steering commands along the wires that trail
		out behind the missile.  The range of the missile is 500-3750
		meters.

		The TOW first saw service in Vietnam.  It was used effectively
		by the Israelis in the Yom Kippur War of 1973.

		The TOW 2 has an improved warhead which is triggered by a long
		probe which gives improved standoff distance for greater armor
		penetration.  It is designed to defeat tanks equipped with
		reactive armor.

		The AH-1J SeaCobra was a US Marine Corps version powered by a
		1800 hp P & W T400-CP-400 coupled free-turbine turboshaft,
		a three-barrel 20-mm cannon in the chin turret, a stronger
		tail rotor pylon, and a maximum takeoff weight of 10,000 lb.

		AH-1J was ordered in quantity by Iran.  I don't know how many
  		of these were actually delivered before the regime of the
		Shah fell.  Presumably the AH-1J served in combat during the
		Iran-Iraq war.  Anyone have any details?

		The AH-1W Supercobra is an enhanced derivative of the AH-1T of
		the US Marine Corps.  The primary mission of the AH-1W is the
		armed escort of troop-carrying helicopters.  Two 1690 hp
		General Electric T700-GE-401 turboshafts.  Maximum speed of
  		175 mph at sea level.  Maximum takeoff weight of 14,750 lbs.
		Triple-barreled 20 mm cannon in nose barbette.  In escort role,
		carries a pair of AIM-9L Sidewinder AAMs.  In antiarmor role,
		can carry 8 TOW or Hellfire antitank missiles..  For landing
		zone suppression and close-in fire support can carry 76 2.75 in
		FFARs, 16 Zuni 5-inch rockets, or two GPU-2A 20-mm cannon pods.

Joe Baugher				**************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories			*  "I've got a trig midterm tomorrow *
200 Park Plaza				*   and I'm being chased by Guido,   *
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7050		*   the killer pimp."                *
(708) 713 4548				**************************************
ihlpm!jfb
jfb200@cbnewsd.att.com
				  Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!

elec140@canterbury (10/29/90)

From: elec140@canterbury
In article <1990Oct26.015329.24935@cbnews.att.com>, jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) writes:
> From: jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher)
>
> Its BAAAACK!   The series on Persian Gulf combat aircraft continues!
>
> Here's number 27 in the series: the HueyCobra.
>
> Bell AH-1F Cobra
>
> 	Performance:
> 		Maximum speed: 141 mph.
> 		Maximum inclined climb rate: 16,200 ft/min.
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this for real? According to my mental maths :-? this is about 3 miles/min,
which is 180 mph! Does this mean that the Cobra can climb faster than it can
fly? Or did the ol fingers slip on the keyboard? I'm genuinely interested as
the HueyCobra has always been my favourite helicopter - it's one mean looking
machine!

Chris Kaiser
Postgrad - Elec Eng Dept
Canterbury University
Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND

E.MAIL: c.kaiser@elec.canterbury.ac.nz

jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) (10/30/90)

From: jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher)
In article <1990Oct29.025550.6682@cbnews.att.com>, elec140@canterbury writes:
> In article <1990Oct26.015329.24935@cbnews.att.com>, jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) writes:
> > Bell AH-1F Cobra
> >
> > 	Performance:
> > 		Maximum speed: 141 mph.
> > 		Maximum inclined climb rate: 16,200 ft/min.
> Is this for real?

Nope, it's not for real (unfortunately).  The correct number is 1620 feet
per minute.  Slip of the ole fingers on the keyboard!  Sorry.  Thanks for
pointing out the mistake!

AT&T Bell Laboratories			*  "What we have here is.....Failure *
200 Park Plaza				*   to communicate!"                 *