[sci.military] B-24

Scott.Johnson@gatech.edu (Scott Johnson) (08/28/90)

From: gatech!p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org!Scott.Johnson@gatech.edu (Scott Johnson)

 SH> The B-24's bomb bay doors were kind of cute: instead of a
 SH> couple of doors that swung outward, they were implemented as a
 SH> pair of rolling blinds, somewhat like a rolltop desk.

        Don't forget the belly turret. The -24's belly was so low to the
 ground that models with ball turrets in the belly (as far as I know
 they were identical to the Sperrys mounted in the -17's) had them
 retract! This would make for interesting situations if the electrical
 system went out with the turret down, and the -24 had to belly land.
 Any stories out there?

raymond%europa@uunet.UU.NET (Raymond Man) (08/30/90)

From: raymond%europa@uunet.UU.NET (Raymond Man)

I cannot remember anything about the b-24 belly turret, but a classic
case is the B-17 belly landing. If after combat the belly turret is
jammed and the landing gear is not working, the gunner will be crushed.

Just call me `Man'.
"And why take ye thought for "    --   Matt. 6:28
raymond@jupiter.ame.arizona.edu

al.weaver@rose.uucp (10/30/90)

From: al.weaver@rose.uucp

gatech!p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org!Scott.Johnson@gatech.edu(Scott Johnson)
writes:

% they were identical to the Sperrys mounted in the -17's) had them
% retract! This would make for interesting situations if the electrical
% system went out with the turret down, and the -24 had to belly land.
% Any stories out there?

The ball turrets in B-17s and B-24s could be manually cranked up and down.

al.weaver@rose.uucp

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
 Message gatewayed by MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: al.weaver@rose.uucp
 UUCP:     ...tmsoft!masnet!rose!al.weaver