[sci.military] SJAFB airshow observations

ehr@uncecs.edu (Ernest H. Robl) (11/03/90)

From: ehr@uncecs.edu (Ernest H. Robl)

I attended the annual community appreciation day airshow at Seymour
Johnson AFB, Goldsboro, N.C., last weekend, and found the show
interesting both for what was on display -- and what wasn't.  (The
Thunderbirds put on a good show.)

What was interesting in comparison to last year's show was that while
last year's show had a C-5, C-141, etc., this year's show didn't have
any modern TRANSPORT aircraft on display.  The obvious implication
is that they are all in use elsewhere -- flying material to the Middle
East, probably.

There was a KC-10 tanker on display, but that was one of SJAFB's own.
Also, during the day the landings appeared to include some KC-10s
which were not part of the show.  My impression had been that for the
airshow day, normal operations were usually suspended.  Again, the
implication was that these tankers had been out over the Atlantic
refuelling other aircraft.

Some other things which struck me:  Last year directing traffic and
some other operations were handled by airmen.  (I really liked the
fact that the airman who directed my car to its parking space gave me
the shut-down-engines signal!)  This year most of this was handled by
area explorer scouts and CAP volunteers -- an indication that a good
part of SJAFB's permanent force is occupied elsewhere.

Security also appeared to be somewhat tighter than last year around
the area where SJ's own fighters were parked.  AF police armed with
the short-barrelled, collapsible-stock M16s (with clips inserted)
were much in evidence.

Now, for a question that I didn't get around to asking anyone at the
airshow:  Some of the modern *AIR FORCE* fighters have tailhooks.  Are
these ever used?  If so, when, where, how?  Thanks.

-- Ernest

"My other computer is a Nikon N8008." -- Ernest H. Robl
Ernest H. Robl (ehr@ecsvax)  Durham, NC, USA  (919) 286-3845

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: ehr@uncecs.edu (Ernest H. Robl)
>last year's show had a C-5, C-141, etc., this year's show didn't have
>any modern TRANSPORT aircraft on display.  The obvious implication
>is that they are all in use elsewhere -- flying material to the Middle
>East, probably.

Actually, the Gulf crisis has made some very creative excuses possible.
DEC claimed that software we'd ordered was being delayed because they
were competing with the Army for air-freight capacity!

>Now, for a question that I didn't get around to asking anyone at the
>airshow:  Some of the modern *AIR FORCE* fighters have tailhooks.  Are
>these ever used?  If so, when, where, how?  Thanks.

Some (many?) USAF runways have arrester gear for emergencies, I believe.
The hooks are not used for normal operations.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

jabusch@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Jabusch) (11/06/90)

From: jabusch@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Jabusch)
ehr@uncecs.edu (Ernest H. Robl) writes:

>Now, for a question that I didn't get around to asking anyone at the
>airshow:  Some of the modern *AIR FORCE* fighters have tailhooks.  Are
>these ever used?  If so, when, where, how?  Thanks.

Almost every air base of every service branch has at least one barrier
(the usual term for arresting gear).  Even those bases which support
Reserve and Aig Guard operations, many of which are local major airports,
have barriers.  The barriers get used frequently, both for exercises and
for in-flight emergencies.

--
John W. Jabusch					US Army Construction
INTERNET: jabusch@cerl.cecer.army.mil    	Engineering Resesarch Lab

swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams) (11/06/90)

From: swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams)

Re: Air Force Fighters with Tail Hooks

I remember that when I was in college in St. Louis during early 1970's,
I noticed that the main runway (east-west) of the Lambert Field (now
known as the St. Louis Lambert International Airport) had arresting
wires across near its east end.  There was one main east-west runway
then.

The Lambert Field is the home of McDonnell Douglas Corporation, the
manufacturer of the F-4s and F-15s.

Boy, it was earthshaking experience every time a F-4 took off from the
main runway with afterburners on!  The glass panes (the main terminal
was beautifully designed with lots and lots of glass panes) would
vibrate a lot!