[sci.military] North American X-15A-2

gunter@antlia.cc.uwa.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt) (10/24/90)

From: gunter@antlia.cc.uwa.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt)
Would someone be able to please confirm the location of

North American X-15A-2 56-6671 @ Air Force Museum

if it is still there, could someone please tell me which Air Force Museum

i.e.

North American X-15 56-6670 @ Smithsonian Institution's National Air & Space
North American X-15 56-6672 + 15-NOV-1967 Major Michael Adams disintergrated

thank you

Don.Allingham@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Don Allingham) (10/29/90)

From: Don.Allingham@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Don Allingham)

Gunter> From: gunter@antlia.cc.uwa.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt)
Gunter> Would someone be able to please confirm the location of

Gunter> North American X-15A-2 56-6671 @ Air Force Museum

Gunter> if it is still there, could someone please tell me which Air
Gunter> Force Museum

It is at the U.S. Air Force Museum, in Fairborn, Ohio, (next to Dayton)
on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.  I haven't been there since I left
Ohio about 2 1/2 years ago, but I assume it is still there.  I can't
imagine them giving it up.  If you ever have a chance to get there, do
so.  Everything from the last XB-70 to the SR-71 predecessor of the (I
believe the designation is correct) YF-12.

--
Don Allingham
NCR Microelectronics 			Don.Allingham@FtCollins.NCR.com

Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (11/03/90)

From: Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges)

In <1990Oct29.034126.11384@cbnews.att.com> Don.Allingham@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Don Allingham) writes:

>From: Don.Allingham@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Don Allingham)

[stuff deleted....]
>so.  Everything from the last XB-70 to the SR-71 predecessor of the (I
>believe the designation is correct) YF-12.

Here are some of the highlights from the Museum (I live in Dayton, so here,
but haven't been there in about a year so here it goes).

B-1A
XB-70
SR-71 (yep, they got one)
YF-12A
U-2
B-52D (first one damaged by a SA-2)
B-47
WWI Barrage Balloon
B-17 "Shoo Shoo Baby" (Actually saw combat in WW-II)
B-29 "Bockscar" (dropped second atomic bomb on Nagasaki)
F-15 Streak Eagle (the one that set all the time to climb records)
NKC-135 (From Holloman AFB.  Carried laser and a whole bunch of
	 stuff related to SDI research)
C-124
Air Force version of PBY Catalina
Several MiGS
ME-109
FW-190
Japanese HAMP fighter
Me-262
Me-163 Comet
Waco Glider
Martin B-26 Marauder
Douglas B-26
B-36.
President Truman's Air Force 1 (DC-6)
President Eisenhower's Air Force 1 (Super Constellation)
President Roosevelt's Airplane (called the Sacred Cow, was a C-54/DC-4)

Some of the airplanes are in an annex, but due to budget cuts, the
4950th Air Base Wing does not run any transportation to the annex any
more.  There is no way to get over there, and the annex is temporarily
closed.

They are building an IMAX theater, and is close to being done.

Generally, ev

>--
>Don Allingham
>NCR Microelectronics 			Don.Allingham@FtCollins.NCR.com
>Ft. Collins, CO.        		uunet!ncrlnk!ncr-mpd!Don.Allingham
--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)

brooksp@hpcc01.corp.hp.com (Peter Brooks) (11/06/90)

From: Peter Brooks <brooksp@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
/ hpcc01:sci.military / Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) / 11:56 am  Nov  2, 1990 /

Steve Bridges writes:

[list of planes at museum]

B-29 "Bockscar" (dropped second atomic bomb on Nagasaki)

I am curious.  When my father was alive, he told us that the plane
that dropped the bomb on Nagasaki (maybe one of the chase planes?)
flew into the fallout cloud and after landing on Okinawa (where he
was in the Headquarters Company) was sent flying over the ocean
with a minimal aircrew.  They jumped and the plane was to be lost
at sea.  I have been trying to find a detailed history of the Okinawa
campaign so have not been able to confirm or deny this story.
Is there any information on the net about this?

Pete Brooks  pb@hpocia.hp.com