[sci.military] RAF camouflage in early World War 2

Adrian Hurt <adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk> (10/30/90)

From: Adrian Hurt <adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk>

I am building a model Spitfire, and the instruction sheet shows two
camouflage schemes.  One, dated 1939, has brown and green upper surfaces,
black on the port underside, and white on the starboard underside.  The
other, dated 1940, has duck egg green on the whole underside, and brown
and green again on the upper surfaces.  But the pattern of green on the
upper surfaces is almost an exact mirror image of the pattern used on the
1939 scheme - for example, a patch of green roughly Y shaped on the
starboard wing of the 1940 scheme appears on the port wing of the 1939
scheme.  I don't think this is a misprint, as I've seen photos of both
patterns - in fact, I've seen one photo of several Spitfires in echelon
formation, with the first and third aircraft using the 1940 pattern and the
second aircraft using the 1939 pattern.  What pattern the others had wasn't
clear.

So, here are the questions.  Why did the RAF flip the pattern over?  (I
presume, in spite of the opinion of any cynics, that it wasn't just to
annoy the people who painted the aircraft! :-)  And what was the purpose
of the black and white underside in early war colour schemes?  To help
the pilot tell left from right? :-)

--
 "Keyboard?  How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

tomoo@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Tomoo Taguchi) (11/01/90)

From: tomoo@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Tomoo Taguchi)

I don't know about the mirrored scheme on the upper body, but I recently
read "Piece of Cake" by Derek Robinson which explained the underside paint
scheme.  At the beginning of the war, Fighter Command used the black and
white scheme to make the planes more visible to ground troops.  As the war
progressed they realized that being invisible was better than being visible
to "friendly" flak gunners (who tended to shoot at anything at flew anyway),
so they switched to the robin's egg blue scheme.

BTW, "Piece of Cake" is an excellent book about the first years of WWII for a
RAF fighter squadron.  I read the book after watching the television adaptation
on Masterpiece Theater.  The show was good even though they used Spitfires
rather than Hurricanes (probably due to the availability of flyable Spitfires).
Both the book and the show paint a different picture from the popular idea
of the few gallant fighter pilots who stopped Hitler's invasion plans.

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (11/01/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
*>So, here are the questions.  Why did the RAF flip the pattern over?  (I
*>presume, in spite of the opinion of any cynics, that it wasn't just to
*>annoy the people who painted the aircraft! :-)  And what was the purpose
*>of the black and white underside in early war colour schemes?  To help
*>the pilot tell left from right? :-)

Hmmm... would the plans be showing two different color schemes for
the bottom of the plane? I've seen some model airplane plans that do
this: show one color scheme on one half of the aircraft and another
on the other half. I've even seen them draw the top on one half and
the bottom on the other half! I don't ever recall seeing a spitfire
with a half-black and half-white underside, or even a black one for
that matter.

The mirror image problem is interesting! I would never have noticed.
How were the patterns painted? Were big masks or templates used? Who
did the painting? Did every factoory use the same patterns, and how
much do these patterns differ from plane to plane? How do these pa-
tterns differ for the different airplanes? Did hurricanes use the same
scheme? How about bombers?

Also interesting: at what point in time did Fighter Command switch
over to the grey/green camouflage seen on the later Marks? Color
schemes also varied with theater: Spitfires based in North Africa
and in Asia had different color schemes than those used by Fighter
Command in Europe. The ones in Asia (South East Asian Command?)
even had different markings: blue circles with a white circle
superimposed - basically the roundel with the red missing. The
idea, I think, was to avoid confusion with Japanese markings.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen) (11/06/90)

From: thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen)
In article <1990Nov1.023053.9665@cbnews.att.com> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:

>Command in Europe. The ones in Asia (South East Asian Command?)
>even had different markings: blue circles with a white circle
>superimposed - basically the roundel with the red missing. The
>idea, I think, was to avoid confusion with Japanese markings.

I always thought that the Blue/White roundels were because they were
RAAF 'planes, although the RAAF squadrons in Europe and the desert
did use normal roundels. Any experts care to comment?

On a more literary note, A Piece Of Cake is extremely good at getting
across just how young the fighter pilots were, and how much stress
they were under. Derek Robinson has written other books, notably
"Goshawk Squadron" and "Kramer's War", the first about an RCF sqn in
France, WWI, and the second about a US B24 aircrew member who is washed
up on Jersey (the only piece of Britain occupied by the Germans) after
being shot down. "Goshawk Squadron" is good at showing the technical
limitations of early aerial combat ie. before the introduction of
interrupter gear for the machine guns.

>Iskandar Taib

On a further note, I have been trying to get a copy of a book by
Elleston Trevor called "Squadron Airborne", which also shows some of
the squadron life from the ground staff view. Does anyone know
if the book is available new anywhere? I can't seem to get it in Australia.
--
thos cohen  				       |Softway Pty Ltd
English is a living language, but	       |ACSnet:         thos@softway.oz