[sci.military] carrier limitations

jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy) (11/05/90)

From: jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy)
Is it correct that carriers have to stay out of the inner
part of the Persian Gulf and that this limits their operational
range within Iraq?   Can carrier planes fly combat missions
from closer ground bases?

swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams) (11/06/90)

From: swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams)

Re: Aircraft Carrier in the Persian Gulf

Putting an aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf is like putting a fish
in a barrel.  The aircraft carrier doesn't have much room to run for
cover, and is withing the striking range from both sides of the gulf.

lindblad@cc.helsinki.fi (11/07/90)

From: lindblad@cc.helsinki.fi
> Putting an aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf is like putting a fish
> in a barrel.  The aircraft carrier doesn't have much room to run for
> cover, and is withing the striking range from both sides of the gulf.

I don't think that a carrier is located in gulf for escaping but for giving air
support. There are a few ships surrouding and defendig carriers.