[sci.military] Underwater Nuclear Explosions

willner@cfa183.harvard.edu (Steve Willner) (11/07/90)

From: willner@cfa183.harvard.edu (Steve Willner)
[Sorry this is so late.  Mailer problems here - again.]

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) replied:
> No flame, but I find this hard to believe since water is one of the few
> substances which is actually densest as a liquid (at 4 degrees C., with
> one atmosphere pressure).  Perhaps the scientists in question forgot
> about the hydrogen bonding properties of water....

Phases of ice denser than liquid water exist, but only at extreme
pressures.  That doesn't mean an underwater nuclear explosion would
form any ice in these phases, of course.  Any ice formed would probably
not last long, since all the super-dense phases are unstable at
ordinary pressures.  (Too bad... the image of zillions of ice cubes
floating slowly to the surface has a certain mad appeal.)