[net.followup] Gary Perlman leaves the net in disgust

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (02/03/85)

> Recent hate mail has made me decide to leave the net,
> at least for a year or two.  When my mail becomes a
> source of pain for my loved ones, as it recently has,
> it is time to take positive action.  I refuse to let
> shmucks such as those on down at Princeton do any
> more damage.

	What's going on here?  Gary has been an outstanding
member of the USENET community.  He has contributed
much useful source!

	Someone killed the goose that lays the golden eggs.

	This is very bad PR for Princeton.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382    ihnp4!pesnta  -\

egs@epsilon.UUCP (Ed Sheppard) (02/04/85)

> > Recent hate mail has made me decide to leave the net,
> > at least for a year or two.  When my mail becomes a
> > source of pain for my loved ones, as it recently has,
> > it is time to take positive action.  I refuse to let
> > shmucks such as those on down at Princeton do any
> > more damage.
> >
> 	What's going on here?  Gary has been an outstanding
> member of the USENET community.  He has contributed
> much useful source!
>
> 	Someone killed the goose that lays the golden eggs.
>
> 	This is very bad PR for Princeton.

Yeah! What is going on here? I worked with Gary for a while and he's just
about the nicest person I've met. If this keeps up, we'll lose all of the
worthwhile netters. Something needs to be done about this sort of thing
(i.e. hate mail), but in the anarchic universe of USENET, I can't imagine
what it would be. "Sargentizing" the offenders may be a possibility.

Anybody have any good ideas?

						Ed Sheppard
						Bellcore

honey@down.FUN (code 101) (02/05/85)

I suspect Princeton will survive, notwithstanding Gary's cri du couer.

	Peter

hans@log-hb.UUCP (Hans Albertsson) (02/08/85)

In article <356@scc.UUCP> steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:

>> Recent hate mail has made me decide to leave the net,
>> at least for a year or two.  When my mail becomes a
>> source of pain for my loved ones, as it recently has,
>> it is time to take positive action.  I refuse to let
>> shmucks such as those on down at Princeton do any
>> more damage.
>>
>	What's going on here?  Gary has been an outstanding
>member of the USENET community.  He has contributed
>much useful source!
>
>	Someone killed the goose that lays the golden eggs.
>
>	This is very bad PR for Princeton.
Sure is!
I wonder what on earth they could have said, to make him react THAT bad..
Probably made rn encrypt it all on its own...

I dunno if I'd call his layings consistently golden, but what the f....n
h..k, they're for free, aren't they?? And some I could use, so who's
complaining?

C'mon, Gary, don't let the lusers get to ya!
--
Hans Albertsson, USENET/uucp: {decvax,philabs}!mcvax!enea!log-hb!hans
Real World:  TeleLOGIC AB, Box 1001, S-14901 Nynashamn,SWEDEN

falcone@erlang.DEC (JOE FALCONE, HLO2-3/N03, DTN 225-6059) (02/08/85)

I don't blame Gary for leaving the net in disgust.  I rarely
make submissions to the net, but when I do submit something
I get flamed at either in the newsgroup or via mail about
half of the time.  One classic example is the use of automatic
flamers at several sites which archive net.sources - if they
don't like the submission (say if its a bug report out of place),
they send you a form-letter flame.  Sometimes they make this
judgment after reading only the subject line.  I've been a
part of the net since the very beginning (when I was hpvax!jrf)
and I find this flaming very disturbing.

There are just too many people on the net who view their fellow
netters as Paths and not as Real People with Real Feelings which
can be hurt by sarcasm and ridicule.  All the talk about netiquette
and liability won't do any good if there are people out there who
feel that it is their God-given right to trample on other people's
feelings - this country is free, but no one is free to hurt people.
My heart goes out to Lauren and Gary and everyone else who gets more
than technical criticism on the net.  The net is a forum for
enlightened discussion, not personal abuse.

Unfortunately, the cooler heads did not prevail this time.
I suspect that Gary just received one too many saracstic notes
and rather than tolerate it he just shut news off.  This is
very, very sad.  I had one of the very first releases of
menunix a few years ago, and Gary did some very interesting
things.  Sure, I had to fix some bugs and rewrite some menu files,
but you get what you pay for, and free software is, after all, free.
Gary did not over-react; Gary did what I would have done.

If the flamers were getting on Gary's case for bugs in menunix,
I should remind the net that the latest release of netnews
software was not without bugs even though it had gone through
some testing.  Even the most organized efforts with alpha and
beta test sites produce software releases that have problems.

My word to those who use the net for personal attacks - Grow Up!

Joe Falcone			decvax!
Eastern Research Lab		decwrl!deccra!jrf
Digital Equipment		tardis!
Hudson, Mass.			root44!

david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) (02/09/85)

In article (437@down.FUN>, Peter Honeyman writes:
>I suspect Princeton will survive, notwithstanding Gary's cri du couer.

Too bad.  (I went there as an undergraduate.  I even spoke to Honeyman although
he doesn't remember and probably couldn't care.)  Over time, the dross drives
off the gold.  Princeton has been around for over two hundred years.

I don't know what Princeton and its Princetonians did to Mr. Perlman but I can
imagine.  There are a lot of vicious people at Princeton.

[This posting represents only my views, not those of my company.]  {N.F.Q.}

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/09/85)

In article (437@down.FUN>, Peter Honeyman writes:
>I suspect Princeton will survive, notwithstanding Gary's cri du couer.

Sigh. As people like Peter Honeyman drive people like Gary Perlman off the
network, the network will end up with greater and greater percentages of
people like Peter Honeyman. I suggest that you all look carefully at the
positive contributions of Gary Perlman and Peter Honeyman and decide for
themselves whether or not this is to be considered forward progress.

chuq (just because you are 'famous' doesn't give you the right to be a jerk)
--
From the ministry of silly talks:               Chuq Von Rospach
{allegra,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Life, the Universe, and lots of other stuff  is a trademark of AT&T Bell Labs

hans@log-hb.UUCP (Hans Albertsson) (02/09/85)

In article <437@down.FUN> honey@down.FUN (code 101) writes:
>I suspect Princeton will survive, notwithstanding Gary's cri du couer.
>
>	Peter

Is common decency taught at Princeton??? It appears it ought to head the
curriculum for a few at that ( hopefully still ) worthy instituition.

			In utter disgust,
--
Hans Albertsson, USENET/uucp: {decvax,philabs}!mcvax!enea!log-hb!hans
Real World:  TeleLOGIC AB, Box 1001, S-14901 Nynashamn,SWEDEN

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (02/11/85)

**

>I suspect Princeton will survive, notwithstanding Gary's cri du couer.

	But will Princeton graduates find it easy to get jobs
at companies that subscribe to USENET?
--

trb@masscomp.UUCP (Andy Tannenbaum) (02/13/85)

In article <2332@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

> Sigh. As people like Peter Honeyman drive people like Gary Perlman off the
> network, the network will end up with greater and greater percentages of
> people like Peter Honeyman. I suggest that you all look carefully at the
> positive contributions of Gary Perlman and Peter Honeyman and decide for
> themselves whether or not this is to be considered forward progress.

> chuq (just because you are 'famous' doesn't give you the right to be a jerk)

I would kill for a net full of honeys...

Boy, I haven't participated in a USENET flame session since my days as
a dashing young star on this dashing young network...

Chuqui is using a bit of fallacy here by asking us to compare the
positive contributions of Honey and Gary.  The point is how you feel
about the interaction in question, not their general contributions.

But as long as Chuqui asks, I will answer, since both Honey and Gary
are too cool to answer for themselves.  (I count both among my pals.)

Gary was a hacker at UCSD for a long time and he put out some neato
software to do statistical hacking and some software of questionable
practicality to do menu research.  Gary wrote a goofy shar lately,
which apparently honey pounced him for.

Honey was the king of allegra at BTL for a long time.  He was
responsible for allowing allegra to be used as the uucp gateway
to the world, before ihnp4 or anyone else.  Honey was at the center of
the honeydanber uucp project, which finally produced the only usable
version of uucp.  (hdb is now available from AT&T, by the way, too bad
there was no fanfare and the prices are outrageous, more on that in
some netnews I will soon write for net.bugs.uucp etc.)  Honey recently
wrote a path disambiguator for mail, and has written many cute hacks
in his day.

Anyway.  Honey is a sometimes caustic individual.  Sometimes people
feel his wrist should be slapped.  Slap slap, honey, you brute.
Gary is evidently sensitive to a caustic nature such as honey's.  Pet,
pet, nice Gary, Honey is a meanie.

I still like both honey and Gary.  I think (personal opinion here)
that honey has contributed more in the way of useful software and
services to USENET from my perspective.  So what?  That's not the
point.  If honey jumped down Gary's throat, then the question to ask
is, did Gary deserve it and was honey too harsh?  I think Gary
deserved it, and I don't think honey was too harsh.  That's because
I'm a generally tolerant person, your mileage may differ.

I am most appalled by Gary's bleeding-heart attitude about leaving the
net, and the bleeding heart support he's been getting from the
sensitive-male netter of the 80's.  It's enough to make a tall man
drown in his own barf.

	Andy Tannenbaum   Masscomp  Westford, MA   (617) 692-6200 x274
	New England Nursing Home for Network Stars

arnold@gatech.UUCP (Arnold Robbins) (02/14/85)

It seems that the really important thing to remember about Princeton is that
it is the "Ivy League" school which will hand Brooke Shields a degree.
--
Arnold Robbins
CSNET:	arnold@gatech	ARPA:	arnold%gatech.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

Help advance the state of Computer Science: Nuke a PR1ME today!

thompson@dalcs.UUCP (Michael A. Thompson) (02/15/85)

	 I was saddened to hear of Gary's leaving the net. The net as a
    social entity has it's share of abusers and criminals and although
    I do not know Gary personally or the exact nature of the "HATE
    MAIL" I feel it must be of a particularly vile and offensive nature
    to cause this reaction in Gary. It is unfortunate that the net is
    so illequipped to deal with this kind of offence, unlike other
    social groups we have no disciplinary body to deal with crimes
    against the net and in most(all?) cases it would be impossible to
    prove an offence against someone by someone in particular due to
    the inherent insecurity of the net. Because of this I have two
    fears:

	 1) That a vigilante movement will start where individuals or
    even whole sites would be ostracized or inundated with hate mail,
    this would be unacceptable as it would be very easy to arrange for
    such vigilante groups attention to be focused on an innocent user.

	 2) That as things are now it is very likely that these
    criminal acts will become more and more common.

	 It's cold outside and the wolves are at the door, I wish I had
    a useful suggestion but I can't think of anything to correct this,
    I do know however that the ostrich act is not a solution.
--

Signed:                   Michael A. Thompson
             (ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies)

bae@fisher.UUCP (Shiva the Destroyer) (02/15/85)

>It seems that the really important thing to remember about Princeton is that
>it is the "Ivy League" school which will hand Brooke Shields a degree.
>--
>Arnold Robbins

That's it - if you can't attack the individual, attack his institution,
his parentage, his ethnic background, his religion, ....

Just the sort of logical reasoning I like the most :-)

Quit picking on my school, damn it!  If P. Honeyman did anything
which bothers you, please be grown-up enough to lay the responsibility
on him, and him alone.

--
                    Brian A. Ehrmantraut

					Ad Maioram Gloriam Hasturi!

UUCP:   {allegra, astrovax, princeton, twg} !fisher!bae
BELL:   (609) 452-8991 / (609) 734-7761
USnail: 184 Little Hall, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544

david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) (02/20/85)

It's not nice to attack Brooke.  My friends at Princeton tell me she's quite
smart.  It's not her fault that our society equates pretty women with stupid
women.  If Princeton stinks (and, when I was there, the EECS department did),
it is not Brooke's fault.  Arguments ad hominem aren't valid.

david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) (02/20/85)

Oh, sorry.  On my two previous messages, I forgot the disclaimer and the
funny quote.  Pardon me for wasting bandwidth but forgetting the former
could get me in trouble and the latter could get me flamed.  Here goes:

The opinions expressed in any of my submissions to the Usenet are not
necessarily those of Daisy Systems Corp., its subsidiaries, related entities,
or employees.  The opinions expressed are mine alone and I take responsibility
for them.

"I am not a crock.  Uh, make that 'crook.'"

> it is the "Ivy League" school which will hand Brooke Shields a degree.

If she earns it, so what?  I had a lot of extraordinary or just
"different" students in my class.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (03/02/85)

> 	 I was saddened to hear of Gary's leaving the net. The net as a
>     social entity has it's share of abusers and criminals and although
>     I do not know Gary personally or the exact nature of the "HATE
>     MAIL" I feel it must be of a particularly vile and offensive nature
>     to cause this reaction in Gary.

I don't know any of the players, and not much of the incident.  But it is
fun to watch...

>                                     It is unfortunate that the net is
>     so illequipped to deal with this kind of offence, unlike other
>     social groups we have no disciplinary body to deal with crimes
>     against the net and

I'VE GOT IT!  net.peoples.court!!!

>                         in most(all?) cases it would be impossible to
>     prove an offence against someone by someone in particular due to
>     the inherent insecurity of the net. Because of this I have two
>     fears:
>
> 	 1) That a vigilante movement will start where individuals or
>     even whole sites would be ostracized or inundated with hate mail,
>     this would be unacceptable as it would be very easy to arrange for
>     such vigilante groups attention to be focused on an innocent user.
>
> 	 2) That as things are now it is very likely that these
>     criminal acts will become more and more common.
>
> 	 It's cold outside and the wolves are at the door, I wish I had
>     a useful suggestion but I can't think of anything to correct this,
>     I do know however that the ostrich act is not a solution.

You see, it works like this:   A trial *by* your peers in
net.peoples.court where all can present their evidence
(and refute false evidence) with the convicted party subject to
such social punishments as are deemed fitting.  These could include
ostracisim (sp?), hate mail, ridicule, why, we could even taunt them
until they relented!  I'm sure you can think of others...

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

Computo ergo sum

The opinions expressed by me are not representative of those of any
other person - natural, unnatural, or fictional - and only marginally
reflect my opinions as strained by the language.