[sci.military] Bomb Question

swalkerre@cc.curtin.edu.au (11/03/90)

From: swalkerre@cc.curtin.edu.au
Apologies for being ignorant, but can anyone tell me the differences
between Hydrogen, Atom and Neutron bombs ?

		Thanks in advance,

			Rob.
--

/*********************************\
*      __  			  *

"Christian M. Restifo" <cr2r+@andrew.cmu.edu> (11/05/90)

From: "Christian M. Restifo" <cr2r+@andrew.cmu.edu>
The "A-bomb", as many people used to call it, is (was, actually) a
fission-based bomb.  Some type of fissionable material (such as U-238)
is imploded and made to go supercritical.  The result is your typical
fission explosion.

The hydrogen bomb, on the other hand, is a fusion bomb. A fission
reaction starts the actual fusion reaction.  H-bombs are much, much more
powerful than "A-bombs".

As for the Neutron bomb, all I know is that it's used to radiate the
hell out of your target. While the blast effects (destruction of
buildings, etc.) is considerably less than that of an H-bomb, the weapon
actually spews out a tremendous amount of radiation, killing every
living thing.  (I've heard that the Neutron bomb was originally designed
to be used in the Middle East on the oil fields....)

Of course, you've also got your nasty nukes where they take the
"left-overs" from production and put them together.  These can do a good
job of contaminating a city, etc. for several thousand years....

-Chris Restifo
cr2r@andrew.cmu.edu

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (11/07/90)

From: p14.f7.n391.z8.fidonet.org!Dan.Daetwyler (Dan Daetwyler)

 Sw> Apologies for being ignorant, but can anyone tell me the differences
 Sw> between Hydrogen, Atom and Neutron bombs ?

You'll probably get better responses, but in a simple form, here's mine.

Atom Bomb - Fission weapon.  Uses critical mass of radioactive material
     (eg: Plutonium).  Trick here is to form the critical mass quickly
     enough so that expansion from the heat of reaction does not cause
     a fizzle.  Also, trick is to hold the super compressed crtical
     mass at compressed state.  The longer it is held, the greater the
     yield.  Interesting side note.  The size (mass) of the material
     has little to no bearing on the size of the blast (assuming
     criticality is exceeded).  Length the mass is held compressed has
     a very direct bearing.

Hydrogen bomb - Fusion weapon.  Uses the detonation of an "atmoic bomb"
     to provide the heat and pressure necessary to cause fusion to
     take place.  Uses form of heavy hytrogen as fusion material.

Neutron Bomb -  Any nuclear weapon tamped to provide lots of radiation
     with minimal (still nuclear) blast effect.  Takes it's name from
     the radiation of high energy neutrons as it's primary effect.

A bit simplistic, but maybe that's all you wanted to know about alligators?

D Squared