[sci.military] U.S. Army Division TO&Es

jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam) (10/25/90)

From: jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam)
>From: Eric Price <sagpd1!eprice>
>    Can any one provide the T.O. and E. ( Table of Organization and
>    Equipment) for a U.S. Army Division. This would be down to the
>    Batallion/Company level for an Armoured, Mechanized, Light and
>    Airborne/Airmobile Division.

You asked for it!  8-)  WARNING:  this is a long posting; all readers
may want to save now, read later.

The following information is taken from US Army FM 101-10-1/1,
Staff Officers' Field Manual (Distribution unlimited, approved for
public release), Oct '87 (J-series TO&Es).

Abbreviations used throughout:

IN - Infantry		EN - Engineer		Div - Division
AR - Armor		CM - Chemical		Bde - Brigade
FA - Field Artillery	MP - Military Police	Bn  - Battalion
AD - Air Defense Arty	MI - Military Intel	Co  - Company
AV - Aviation		SI - Signal		Plt - Platoon
CAV - Cavalry (not a branch, but still distinct)
HHC - Headquarters and Headquarters Company
DISCOM - Div Support Command (Transpo, Supply, Medical, Maintenance,
	etc. in here)

I.  Armored Division

	1 Div HHC	1 Div Arty	1 MI Bn		1 DISCOM
	2 AR Bde HHCs	1 ADA Bn	1 SI Bn		1 Band
	1 IN Bde HHC	1 Air CAV Bde	1 MP Co
	6 AR Bns	1 EN Bn		1 CM Co
	4 IN Bns (Mech)

	We currently have three active-duty Arm Divs:  the 1st, 2nd
and 3rd.  1st and 3rd are in Germany, 2nd is based out of Ft Hood.

II.  Mechanized Infantry Division

	1 Div HHC	1 Div Arty	1 MI Bn		1 DISCOM
	2 IN Bde HHCs	1 ADA Bn	1 SI Bn		1 Band
	1 AR Bde HHC	1 Air CAV Bde	1 MP Co
	5 IN Bns (Mech)	1 EN Bn		1 CM Co
	5 AR Bns

	Looks just like the AR Div, except for the ratios of Bde HHCs
(2/1 v. 1/2) and IN/AR Bns (6/4 v. 5/5).  We currently have eight
active-duty Mech Divs:  the 1st (Ft Riley), 2nd (Korea), 3rd (Germany),
4th (Ft Carson), 5th (Ft Polk), 8th (Germany), 24th (based out of
Ft Stewart), and 25th (?)(Hawaii).

III.  Light Infantry Division

	1 Div HHC	1 Div Arty	1 MI Bn		1 DISCOM
	3 IN Bde HHCs	1 ADA Bn	1 SI Bn		1 Band
	9 IN Bns (Lt)	1 Cbt AV Cmd	1 MP Co
			1 EN Bn

	Biggest differences from Heavy Divs:  no armor punch; every
unit has lighter equipment, fewer soldiers than its heavy cousin; no
CM Co.  We currently have three active-duty Light Divs:  the 6th (Ft
Richardson), 7th (Ft Ord) and 10th (technically, a Mountain Div, out
of Ft Drum).

IV.  Air Assault Division

	1 Div HHC	1 Div Arty	1 MI Bn		1 DISCOM
	3 IN Bde HHCs	1 ADA Bn	1 SI Bn
	9 IN Bns	1 Cbt AV Bde	1 MP Co
	1 Air Recon Sq	1 EN Bn		1 NBC Co

	A unique animal is the 101st Airborne Div (Air Assault).  The
largest (in numbers of soldiers) division in the US Army (that's
right, more troops than a heavy division), with a _lot_ of helicopters
and just as many infantrymen as a light division.  Above and beyond
its Combat AV Bde, the division has an Air Recon Squadron.  The only
thing this division is missing is a band (and surely that's just a
mistake in the manual; we all know you can't fight without a band! 8-).

V.  Airborne Division

	1 Div HHC	1 Div Arty	1 MI Bn		1 DISCOM
	3 IN Bde HHCs	1 ADA Bn	1 SI Bn		1 Band
	9 IN Bns	1 Cbt AV Bde	1 MP Co
	1 Tank Bn	1 EN Bn		1 NBC Co

	Another unique animal, the 82nd Airborne.  Note that, all the
ominous press to the contrary, the 82nd is not nearly the lightweight
you might think.  It has its own Combat AV Bde, as well as its own AR
Bn (the manual didn't show the Tank Bn, but I know for a fact that
3-73 Armor is in the 82nd, so I added it myself), and as many
infantrymen as any light division to boot.  The 82nd and 101st are, in
fact, in the middle ground region, lighter than a heavy division, but
heavier/more agile than the light divisions [my personal opinion is,
they got some bad press back in August... is it obvious?  8-)]

There are two other "one of a kind" divisions which you didn't ask
about:  the 9th Infantry Div (Motorized) and the 1st Cavalry Division.
Since (1) you didn't ask, (2) the 2nd Cav Div's TO&E isn't in FM
101-10-1/1, and (3) the 9th Motorized is going the way of the dinosaur
soon, I won't include sections for them.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the 25th ID; I've never
served on the west coast.  8-)

John Pulliam

ntb0860@dsac.dla.mil (Ed Lang) (10/29/90)

From: ntb0860@dsac.dla.mil (Ed Lang)

>From article <1990Oct25.145938.287@cbnews.att.com>, by jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam):
> From: jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam)
>>From: Eric Price <sagpd1!eprice>
>
> 	We currently have three active-duty Arm Divs:  the 1st, 2nd
> and 3rd.  1st and 3rd are in Germany, 2nd is based out of Ft Hood.
>
> (2/1 v. 1/2) and IN/AR Bns (6/4 v. 5/5).  We currently have eight
> active-duty Mech Divs:  the 1st (Ft Riley), 2nd (Korea), 3rd (Germany),
> 4th (Ft Carson), 5th (Ft Polk), 8th (Germany), 24th (based out of
> Ft Stewart), and 25th (?)(Hawaii).
>
> CM Co.  We currently have three active-duty Light Divs:  the 6th (Ft
> Richardson), 7th (Ft Ord) and 10th (technically, a Mountain Div, out
> a of Ft Drum).
John,
    The 25 ID is in Hawaii - They prefer the Tropical (Lightning)
    environments.
    I would like to clear up a misconception that some un-informed
readers may draw from your otherwise accurate post.  That is, not
all Active Componet Units are made up of just Active personnel.
The National Guard and Reserves provide some Reserve Componet
units to Divisons as roundout units eg:
      1 ID has one NG maneuver battalion,
      1 CAV has one NG Brigade, 2 NG battalions, 1 NG Arty Bn
      2 AD has 1 NG manuever Bn
      4 ID has 1 NG manuever Bn
      5 ID has 1 NG manuever Bde, 1 NG manuever Bn, 1 NG Arty Bn
      6 ID has 1 Res Manuever Bde, 1 Res Arty Bn
     10 ID has 1 NG manuever Bde, 1 NG Arty Bn
     24 ID has 1 NG manuever Bde, 1 NG Arty Bn
By the way the 24 ID roundout units were pissed that they did
not get called up to play in the sand.
                     ^^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^^
These roundout units are assigned as the TO&E units that your
post suggests.

Ed Lang. --> You can't live forever, fix bayonets and over the top!

carlson@gateway (Bruce Carlson) (10/29/90)

From: carlson@gateway (Bruce Carlson)

In article <1990Oct25.145938.287@cbnews.att.com> jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam) writes:

- TO&E listings deleted -

>Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the 25th ID; I've never
>served on the west coast.  8-)
>
>John Pulliam

25th ID was previously a non-mechanized division (howitzers are towed,
not self-propelled, etc.).  In 1984 they began the conversion to
a Light Infantry Division and I assume it is complete by now.

I was assigned to 25th ID at the time they started the conversion to
a light division some of the changes were odd/interesting.  The ones
I remember are:

- 60mm company-level mortar, 81mm at battalion level (vs 81mm and 4.2inch)
- no combat support company in an infantry battalion; only 3 line companies
  and a combined HHC/CSC company
- largest howitzer in DIVARTY was 105mm, vs. the previous 155mm
- DISCOM was decimated; assumption was that the light division was inserted
  for a 72 hour fight and didn't need much support; support troops would
  come from echelons above division

The Army had been criticized for having a very low foxhole strength (number
of combat troops) relative to the size of a division.  The light division is
supposed to maximize the ratio of combat to support troops, but may not
always maximize combat power (because of the smaller caliber weaponry used).

One of the original concepts of the light division development was to pick
a number of C-141's and design a division that could be transported by
that number of C-141's.  I don't know how they picked a number for how
many C-141's is reasonable.

Bruce Carlson
carlson@gateway.mitre.org

mikes@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Mike Sheumaker) (10/30/90)

From: mikes@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Mike Sheumaker)
In article <1990Oct25.145938.287@cbnews.att.com> jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam) writes:

>From: jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam)
>>From: Eric Price <sagpd1!eprice>
>>    Can any one provide the T.O. and E. ( Table of Organization and
>>    Equipment) for a U.S. Army Division. This would be down to the
>>    Batallion/Company level for an Armoured, Mechanized, Light and
>>    Airborne/Airmobile Division.
>
>You asked for it!  8-)  WARNING:  this is a long posting; all readers
>may want to save now, read later.
Excellent TO&E info deleted for bandwidth's sake...

>Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the 25th ID; I've never
>served on the west coast.  8-)
>
>John Pulliam
The 25th Inf. Div. (Schofield Barracks, Hawaii) is also a unique animal. Please
forgive me for being so vague (don't have the FM here :) ), this is all from
memory. (G Co. 725th. MT BN 1981-1984 Missile Maint.)

I'm fairly sure that the Div HQ, number of Inf Bns, Engineers, Discom, etc.
is the same (or real close) to a Light Inf. Div. However, there was (in 1984)
a company sized Cav. detachment with approx. 12 M60 tanks. No APC's were to be
found in the 25th. They are (were) a "leg" Inf. Div. Lotsa deuce-and-a-halves
around. During exercises such as "Team Spirit" (similar to REFORGER only this
time it's Korea), the  Inf.guys were trucked to a location, then walked the rest of  the way.
The 25th needs to be "light" because of it's mission, defending South Korea in
the event of war with the North. Korean terrain (most of it anyway) is not
suited for large-scale armor battles. Unfortunately for the guys on the ground,
the best way to get around in Korea is on foot...:-)

Hope this is some help..

Mike Sheumaker   University of Illinois  Network Design Office
mikes@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (11/01/90)

From: qip.UCAR.EDU!anasaz!scott (Scott Gibson)
>From: jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam)
>
>	1 Div HHC	1 Div Arty	1 MI Bn		1 DISCOM
>	2 IN Bde HHCs	1 ADA Bn	1 SI Bn		1 Band
>	1 AR Bde HHC	1 Air CAV Bde	1 MP Co
>	5 IN Bns (Mech)	1 EN Bn		1 CM Co
>	5 AR Bns
>
>	Looks just like the AR Div, except for the ratios of Bde HHCs
>(2/1 v. 1/2) and IN/AR Bns (6/4 v. 5/5).  We currently have eight
>active-duty Mech Divs:  the 1st (Ft Riley), 2nd (Korea), 3rd (Germany),
>4th (Ft Carson), 5th (Ft Polk), 8th (Germany), 24th (based out of
>Ft Stewart), and 25th (?)(Hawaii).

The 25th IN Division, in Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, is a light infantry
division (or was when I served in it, up until 1986).  It has never to
my knowledge been a mechanized infantry division in the post VietNam era.

>	Biggest differences from Heavy Divs:  no armor punch; every
>unit has lighter equipment, fewer soldiers than its heavy cousin; no
>CM Co.  We currently have three active-duty Light Divs:  the 6th (Ft
>Richardson), 7th (Ft Ord) and 10th (technically, a Mountain Div, out
>of Ft Drum).

The 10th Mountain is a mountain division in name only; it features no special
skills or missions beyond the norm for a light infantry division.

Scott

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (11/03/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

In article <1990Oct25.145938.287@cbnews.att.com>, jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam) writes:

  I believe the 25th Inf Div ("Tropic Lightning") is classed as a Light
  Division - as is the 2d Inf Div ("Indian Head") in Korea.  The TOE of
  Light Divisions often call for one Mech Inf Battalion and one Tank
  Battalion - to give them a little more punch.

  However, the 7th Inf Div ("Bayonet") is 'pure' light infantry - without
  a Mech Bn or Tank Bn (these were supposed to be local National Guard
  'roundout' units for the 7th).  When I left the 7th (Jun '83) there were
  plans afoot to require all officers and NCOs to be 'Ranger-qualified' for
  assignment to the 7LID (don't know if that came about, though)

  Also, heavy division's artillery support is self-propelled.  Light
  division's artillery is towed.

  The Tank Unit(s) of the 82d Airborne are equipped with the M551 Sheridan.
  It's airdroppable ('course the M1 can be dropped by air too - ONCE!)

  The 9th ID ("Old Reliables") is 'motorized' since most of it's troop
  carrying is done by wheels, and dune-buggy-type gun jeeps, etc - but
  it's being phased out (last week the 1st Brigade cased its colors).

  The 1st Cav ("First Team") is more akin to an Airmobile Division (they
  move around the battlefield by helicoptor).  And there isn't a 2nd Cav Div.

  -----------------------

  But, all in all, good info, John.  You're next mission, should you decide
  to accept it, is to look up the TO&E for Armored Cavalry Regiments and
  Separate Brigades.  (That ought to confuse everybody)

  -----------------------

  mike schmitt

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (11/03/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Since the TOE's for Army Divisions have been posted, I think I'll do my
part by posting the TOE for a Marine Expeditionary Force of the size
currently in the Middle East. (1 Marine Division, 1 Marine Aircraft
Wing, 1 Force Service Support Group)

Marine Division:

3 Infantry Regiments
    3 Infantry Battalions
        3 Rifle Companies, 1 Weapons Company, 1 Headquarters Company
    1 Headquarters Battalion
1 Artillery Regiment
    4 Artillery Battalions
        3 Batteries with 6 x M198 each, 6 x M109A2, or 6 X M110A2
1 Tank Battalion
    4 Companies with approximately 75 M60A1
1 Reconnaisance Battalion
    3 Reconnaisance Companies
1 Light Armored Infantry Battalion
    4 Companies with approximately 150 LAV-25 and variants
Headquarters Battalion
    Headquarters Company
    Force Recon Company

Marine Aircraft Wing:

3 Fighter/Attack Groups (composition varies)
    4 Squadrons F-18
    4 Squadrons AV-8B
    1 Squadron A-6E
Helicopter Group  (composition varies)
    3 Squadrons CH-46D
    2 Squadrons AH-1W
    1 Squadron CH-53D/E
    1 Squadron UH-1N
Electronic Warfare Squadron w/ EA-6B
Reconaissance Squadron w/ RF-18 and OV-10
Aerial Refueller/Transport Squadron w/ KC-130H
Support Group
Air Control Group
Headquarters Squadron
Marine Expeditionary Airfield Squadron

Force Service Support Group:

Combat Engineer Battalion
Motor Transport Battalion
Medical Battalion
Shore Party Battalion
Service Battalion
Supply and Logistics Battalion
Military Police Battalion
Intelligence Battalion
Headquarters Battalion

All in all, a pretty formidable unit, wouldn't you say?

Allan
-
MIDN 3/C (PLC-JR) Allan Bourdius, Carnegie Mellon University NROTC
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue."          ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu
The opinons expressed in this letter/posting do not, nor are they intended
to, reflect the official policies/positions of DOD, DON, USMC, USN, NROTC,
or CMU.  Any information in this posting was obtained using unclassified
material and/or personal intuition, analysis, or extrapolation.

geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) (11/05/90)

From: geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)

A couple of questions:

(1)  What exactly is "mechanized infantry?"  Is it the same as standard
     infantry, except for the fact that that the troops get to ride to
     the battle in armored personnel carriers?  Or are there tanks and/or
     artillery that are integral with the infantry unit?

(2)  I've noticed that the U.S. has "mechanized infantry" divisions and the
     USSR has "motorized rifle" divisions.  Are these simply different names
     for the same thing, or are there substantial differences between the
     two?

Thanks,
Geoff

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Geoff Miller                    + + + + + + + +        Sun Microsystems
geoffm@purplehaze.sun.com       + + + + + + + +       Milpitas, California
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (11/06/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
With apologies, I made one slight ommission from the structure of a
Marine Division:

Marine Division:

3 Infantry Regiments
    3 Infantry Battalions
        3 Rifle Companies, 1 Weapons Company, 1 Headquarters Company
    1 Headquarters Battalion
1 Artillery Regiment
    4 Artillery Battalions
        3 Batteries with 6 x M198 each, 6 x M109A2, or 6 X M110A2
1 Tank Battalion
    4 Companies with approximately 75 M60A1 (total)
1 Assault Amphibian Battalion
    4 Companies with approximately 150 AAV7A2/A3's and variants (total)
1 Reconnaisance Battalion
    3 Reconnaisance Companies
1 Light Armored Infantry Battalion
    4 Companies with approximately 150 LAV-25 and variants
Headquarters Battalion
    Headquarters Company
    Force Recon Company

Thanks.

Allan

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (11/06/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

In article <1990Oct29.030230.7511@cbnews.att.com>, carlson@gateway (Bruce Carlson) writes:

> From: carlson@gateway (Bruce Carlson)
>
> - largest howitzer in DIVARTY was 105mm, vs. the previous 155mm

  Just a side note:  In 1982, the 7th ID received a new 155mm towed howitzer
  along with a 5T extended-bed truck to pull it.  The 7th's Air Defense
  Battalion had a towed Vulcan - but interestingly enough a self-propelled
  (tracked) Chapparal - the only tracked vehicle in the Division's
  inventory (plus the M578 VTR to pull the Chapparal's out of holes)

> - DISCOM was decimated; assumption was that the light division was inserted
>   for a 72 hour fight and didn't need much support; support troops would
>   come from echelons above division

  The wierd thing is - that was the concept for a DISCOM in the first place
  so BRIGADES would be 'lighter' - receiving their support from Division.
  - so they shove support higher - and the poor brigades get zippo (???)
  (Oh well - I won't pick on logisticians  :-))

  mike schmitt

jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam) (11/06/90)

From: jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam)
In article <1990Nov4.210449.4182@cbnews.att.com> geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) writes:

>(1)  What exactly is "mechanized infantry?"  Is it the same as standard
>     infantry, except for the fact that that the troops get to ride to
>     the battle in armored personnel carriers?  Or are there tanks and/or
>     artillery that are integral with the infantry unit?

First, I'm a combat engineer, not an infantryman, so I suppose I
should wait to see if a grunt 8-) answers this; but I won't.  8-)

Couple of concepts mixed together in this question: first, the US and
most other modern armies fight their battles using what _we_ call
"combined arms teams."  That means that you will usually not see
infantry, or armor, or even army aviation units fighting alone.
Rather (as shown in the TO&Es of the heavy divisions), you fight with
a mix of infantry, armor, artillery, aviation, engineers, etc. on the
battlefield together.  There are times when you will see infantry
without armor (very restrictive terrain) or armor without infantry
(very fluid battle, table-top terrain, little use of obstacles, etc.),
but you will still find each type of maneuver unit (IN or AR)
supported by the other branches.  Armor units are integral to all Mech
Infantry divisions (in fact, there's just about as much of one as the
other).  It is the Light Infantry divisions which have no
assigned/integral armor units.  This answers the doctrinal and
organizational side of your question.

Second, there is more -- tactically -- to Mech Infantry than just
"Light Infantry in a metal taxicab."  The carrier has armament of its
own, which "beefs up" the firepower considerably over what the
infantry squad would have organic otherwise.  In addition, an infantry
squad _can_ fight from inside the Bradley (there are four or six
firing ports in the sides for squad members to fire their M16s/SAWs
out of, although I understand doing so is a real pain in the behind
(cramped quarters, limited visibility).  Nevertheless, when push comes
to shove, you usually see the infantry dismounting and fighting on the
ground.  I am not a fan of Mech personally (prefer the light side 8-),
but as you can see, the Mech Infantry has a lot of flexibility that
neither Light Inf or Armor have.

>(2)  I've noticed that the U.S. has "mechanized infantry" divisions and the
>     USSR has "motorized rifle" divisions.  Are these simply different names
>     for the same thing, or are there substantial differences between the
>     two?

There are all kinds of differences (weapons and equipment, tactics and
doctrine, personnel strengths, on and on), but I think I understand
your question to be, "is there some _reason_ the names are different?"
And the answer to that is (historians, correct me if I'm wrong here),
no.  The Soviets could very easily have named their units mech
infantry instead of motorized rifle, or it could have been translated
less literally to be the same, or _we_ could have called our units
motorized rifles instead of mech infantry, I suppose.  8-)  Both ride
to battle in APCs, both dismount and/or fight mounted as the situation
requires, both are a combination of squads of soldiers and fighting
machines.  In the US, "motorized" has come to mean any unit which
fights out of unarmored or lightly-armored (usually wheeled) vehicles
(like trucks, dune buggies, etc.).  That isn't true of the Soviet
army's terminology, so don't let our choice of words confuse you.

John Pulliam

efrethei@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Erik J. Fretheim) (11/06/90)

From: efrethei@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Erik J. Fretheim)

geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) writes:

>From: geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)

>A couple of questions:

>(1)  What exactly is "mechanized infantry?"  Is it the same as standard
>     infantry, except for the fact that that the troops get to ride to
>     the battle in armored personnel carriers?  Or are there tanks and/or
>     artillery that are integral with the infantry unit?

>(2)  I've noticed that the U.S. has "mechanized infantry" divisions and the
>     USSR has "motorized rifle" divisions.  Are these simply different names
>     for the same thing, or are there substantial differences between the
>     two?

Mechainzed infantry is indeed just plain old infantry which gets to ride
into battle in an APC.  The only problem is that once you convert to APC's
you have to change your infantry squad's configuration so that it will fit
into the APC you are using.  This means dropping a few and changing others
to drivers, gunners and such.  All of this means that you get to the same
place faster and with more fire power, but fewer people.  Which of course
can be a problem at times as the final assault and all that matters in the
end is ground mounted anyway.  In the US, the "mech's" are organized in units
that include tanks, artillery and such which can keep up with the APC's
This generally means self propelled guns.  The tanks are there to provide
some punch against the other guy's APC's and of course to take care of
his tanks.  To make sure this is all effective, things are mixed together
at the battalion level into a combined arms team.  Regular infantry (light)
on the other hand doesn't get quit the mix.  But they could, though ground
pounders generally can't run as fast as an M-1, or even an M-60 for that
matter.

The difference between mech and motorized rifle is generally one of
intention.  The idea of a motorized rifle unit is to cover as much ground
as possible in as short of a time as possible.  They usually don't mix in
combined arms at quite such a low level (regimental or higher).   And aren't
as concerned about firepower as with speed and overwhelming numbers.  Of
course all this is changing, but they will probably keep the motorized
rifle designation for traditional reasons.  We had our own motorized
division - the 9th.  It worried more about speed and high tech stuff too.
It wasn't as heavy as the mech divisions, but could move faster and pack
more firepower than the light divisions (one third less filling).  But it
committed the double sins of being unconventional and effective so it is
being laid to rest.

ejf

>-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
>Geoff Miller                    + + + + + + + +        Sun Microsystems
>geoffm@purplehaze.sun.com       + + + + + + + +       Milpitas, California
>-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Erik J Fretheim
efrethei@afit.af.mil			AFIT/ENA Box 4151 (ATTN: CPT FRETHEIM)
(513)255-5276 AVN785-5276 		WPAFB, OH 45431  USA

scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Stephen C. Woods) (11/13/90)

From: scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Stephen C. Woods)
}From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
}
}3 Infantry Regiments
}    3 Infantry Battalions
}        3 Rifle Companies, 1 Weapons Company, 1 Headquarters Company

Uhm... As far as I can remember there have ALWAYS been 4 rifle companies
in a Marine Rifle Battalion.  This is the main reason that a Marine Bn. is
larger than anyone else's.

ABCD = 1st Bn Nth Marines
EFGH = 2nd Bn Nth Marines
IKLM = 3rd Bn Nth Marines

Marine Arty. Regiments Have still more Battalions (At least 5 in 1942 there
was a P Bty 5/11 ['Semper Fi, Mac' Henry Berry Berkley:1984(pp58)] armed with
105mm Howitzers)

BTW:  If someone refers to the Nth Marines they mean the Nth Marine Regiment,
      if you want to reference the various Divisions use Division.  [EG 1st Bn
      5th Marines is the First Battalion of the 5th Marine Regiment of the
      (WWI: Marine Brigade, WWI and later: 1st Marine Division 1MARDIV) The
      5th Division is the 5th Marine Division (The reserve division, 26th,
      27th, and 28th Marines ].   Marine units are typicaly only referenced to
      the Regiment level as Regiments are NOT moved around between Divisions
      (well hardly ever) So that E company of the 5th Marine regiment 1st
      Marine Division is invariably refered to as E/2/5 (pronounced: echo two
      five).  (The hardly ever is the 4th Marines.)
--
-----
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASNET; 2567 BH;LA CA 90024; (213)-825-8614

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (11/14/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

In article <1990Nov4.210449.4182@cbnews.att.com>, geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) writes:

> From: geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)
>

> A couple of questions:
>

> (1)  What exactly is "mechanized infantry?"  Is it the same as standard
>      infantry, except for the fact that that the troops get to ride to
>      the battle in armored personnel carriers?  Or are there tanks and/or
>      artillery that are integral with the infantry unit?

       "Mechanized" usually refers to 'tracked vehicle'.  Therefore,
       "Mechanized Infantry Divisions" have Bradleys', M113s, Tanks, and
       Self-Propelled Artillery.  Integral?  Depends.  In 'garrison' the
       units are 'pure' - all infantry, all armor, all artillery, etc.
       For operations they are/can be 'tasked organized for combat' - meaning
       cross-attached for combat teams/task forces.

> (2)  I've noticed that the U.S. has "mechanized infantry" divisions and the
>      USSR has "motorized rifle" divisions.  Are these simply different names
>      for the same thing, or are there substantial differences between the
>      two?

       "Motorized" usually means 'wheeled vehicles'.  Soviet 'motorized
       rifle battalions/regiments etc' meant that their APCs were usually
       'wheeled' eg BTR60PB wheeled APC.  With the introduction of the
       full-tracked BMP - the Soviet Motorized Rifle Division (MRD) would
       consist of two Motorized Rifle Regiments (BTR60), one Mechanized
       Rifle Regiment (BMP) and one Tank Regiment (T64).

       BTW: Any Soviet Army unit with the "Guards" title means that, that
       unit can trace it's lineage to the "Great Patriotic War" (WWII).
       eg, 8th Guards Army, 57th Guards Tank Division, etc...............

       mike schmitt

emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) (11/15/90)

From: emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery)

>From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)
>       "Motorized" usually means 'wheeled vehicles'.  Soviet 'motorized
>       rifle battalions/regiments etc' meant that their APCs were usually
>       'wheeled' eg BTR60PB wheeled APC.

Nope.  That's true in the U.S. Army, but not the Soviet Army.  The
term "Motor Rifle" is maintained as a tradition from WWII.  (Sort
of the way we still have a "Cavalry" division.)

>	With the introduction of the full-tracked BMP - the Soviet
>	Motorized Rifle Division (MRD) would consist of two Motorized
>	Rifle Regiments (BTR60), one Mechanized Rifle Regiment (BMP) and
>	one Tank Regiment (T64).

The Soviets are gradually replacing their BTR-60's with BMP's.
The ratio of BMP to BTR equipped regiments changes as more BMP's
get fielded.  Regardless of equipment, they're still "Motor Rifle
Regiments".

				dave