[sci.military] Battle of Midway

zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor A'Azizam Mohd A'Asif) (11/15/90)

From: zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor A'Azizam Mohd A'Asif)

Is there any site that have the details on the Battle of Midway, or
the war in the Pasific during the WW2? (for ftp purposes)

Thanks in advance
-zam

swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams) (11/16/90)

From: swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams)

>Is there any site that have the details on the Battle of Midway, or
>the war in the Pasific during the WW2? (for ftp purposes)

The Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, in the Washington, D.C., had an
exhibit on the Battle of Midway.  I am not sure if the exhibit is
still there or not.

brooksp@hpcc01.corp.hp.com (Peter Brooks) (11/17/90)

From: Peter Brooks <brooksp@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
From: swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams)

>Is there any site that have the details on the Battle of Midway, or
>the war in the Pasific during the WW2? (for ftp purposes)

I don't know about museums, or unix machines, but Gordon Prange's
Miracle at Midway is a thorough analysis of the entire battle,
from the planning (such as it was :-) through the preparations,
actual battle accounts, and strategic implications for Japan.  The
book closes with a final chapter showing just how many of the rules
of warfare the Japanese violated, thus why they set themselves up
for a fall.  (They also make the point that the US was lucky, too,
*and* that they had very good commanders for the battle.)

Gordon Prange (and his team) also wrote At Dawn We Slept, the history
of the Pearl Harbor attack, as well as other naval history books.

Pete Brooks  pb@hpocia.hp.com