[sci.military] M1 vs M1A1

christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) (11/16/90)

From: christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson)

	I understand that M1A1's are arriving in Saudi Arabia, replacing
the M1's which were sent originally.  My question is this: what are the
differences between the two; my readings indicate the following:

	1.  120mm smoothbore gun from Rheinmettel, instead of the 105mm

	2.  Ain't no 2.

Actually, I was wondering if  the M1 has Chobham armor, or if that appeared
in the M1A1.  Reactive armor?  Also- what is Chobham armor?  All I hear is
the word 'ceramic'; I know we're not talking porcelain here!
		      ^^^^

Thanks for the info,

Chris Thompson

--
"Never count a human dead until you've seen the body.  And even
then you can make a mistake".

jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) (11/17/90)

From: jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham)
christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) writes:

>	I understand that M1A1's are arriving in Saudi Arabia, replacing
>the M1's which were sent originally.  My question is this: what are the
>differences between the two; my readings indicate the following:

>	1.  120mm smoothbore gun from Rheinmettel, instead of the 105mm

>	2.  Ain't no 2.

>Actually, I was wondering if  the M1 has Chobham armor, or if that appeared
>in the M1A1.  Reactive armor?  Also- what is Chobham armor?  All I hear is
>the word 'ceramic'; I know we're not talking porcelain here!
>		      ^^^^

Actually I think CNN is getting thier tank designators wrong.  The new M1s
being sent are in fact M1A2s not the A1 variants.  Besides the 120mm main gun
the A2 has a positive overpressure system to protect against NBC warfare
and a few other odds and ends.  I know there are some old M1 personnel out
there...any other significant differences?

--
He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave.      --- Sir William Drummond

Michael Lanham       mjlanham@eos.ncsu.edu   &  jumper@.catt.ncsu.edu

thorn@mcnc.org (Jesse Thorn) (11/17/90)

From: godot.RadOnc.UNC.EDU!thorn@mcnc.org (Jesse Thorn)
In article <1990Nov16.053136.22659@cbnews.att.com> christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) writes:

>From: christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson)
>	I understand that M1A1's are arriving in Saudi Arabia, replacing
>the M1's which were sent originally.  My question is this: what are the
>differences between the two;

Someone at work said that the M1A1 has an improved NBC filtration
system that allows crew members to fight without wearing NBC
protective clothing. Can anyone confirm this?

Jesse Thorn
thorn@godot.radonc.unc.edu

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (11/17/90)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))

In article <1990Nov16.053136.22659@cbnews.att.com> christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) writes:
>	I understand that M1A1's are arriving in Saudi Arabia, replacing
>the M1's which were sent originally.  My question is this: what are the
>differences between the two;

NEWSWEEK claims that the M1A1 has an overpressure NBC protection
system and that the M1 does not, requiring the crew to suit up.

-ted

Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                Phone:    (213)206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             FAX:      (213)825-2273