[sci.military] Nuclear vs. Thermonuclear

prm@ecn.purdue.edu (11/20/90)

From: prm@ecn.purdue.edu

>From: v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia)
>
>Could someone please point out the distinctions between a thermonuclear
>device and a plain old run-of-the-mill nuclear device.  Thanks in advance 8-).
>
>Zerxes

Nuclear refers to fission weapons.  Thermonuclear refers to fusion weapons.
I'll explain the difference here.

FISSION WEAPON PRINCIPLES

Fisson weapons (atomic bombs) use either Uranium (Isotope 235) or Plutonium
(Isotope 239) as the nuclear explosive.  U-235 is also known as Oralloy,
and U-238 is also known as Tuballoy.  Bomb grade U-235 must be at least
93.5% pure.  Lithium (primarily Li-6) can also undergo fission; see the
discussion below under the Fusion Weapon firing sequence.

The general principle of fission weapons is "spheres within spheres"; it's
built like a very hot onion.  :-)

The outermost layer is a series of high-explosive lenses, designed to
direct all their force inwards.  The next layer is a tamper, usually made
of gold, beryllium or one other element that I don't remember offhand :-(.
A small airspace separates the tamper from the nuclear explosive to allow the
tamper material to gain momentum before it compresses the core.  The next
layer is the core, made of either Oralloy or Plutonium.  In older weapons
and devices, those older than about 1956, have a neutron initiator in the
center.  Oftentimes this was made of Beryllium; it was nicknamed the golf
ball or the urchin.  In more modern weapons, the center is hollow to allow
gaseous Deuterium (an isotope of hydrogen, see below) injection just after
compression.  Injecting Deuterium into the core causes a small amount of
fusion, and a resultant spray of neutrons, which "boosts" the fission
weapon's yield.  The yield is the amount of energy released.  Boosted fission
devices all use external neutron generators, since the core must be hollow
to allow the Deuterium injection.

There is a measure of the effectiveness of the weapon or device that is called
Alpha.  It represents the number of fission generations before the pit (or
core) disassembles.  Unboosted fission weapons have alphas between 50 and 200.
Boosted fission weapons have alphas of about 1000, with the resulting yield
increase.

Most fission weapons in the US inventory are boosted.  Additionally, most
(if not all) fusion weapons use boosted fission primary stages (see below).

Firing sequence:

	High explosives fire, compressing the core.
	Compressed core is bombarded with neutrons from the external neutron
		generator, initiating chain reaction.
	Gaseous deuterium is injected into the core.
	Deuterium in core undergoes fusion, releasing more neutrons.
	Momentum of Beryllium tamper and core materials prevents core from
		blowing apart for a short time (< 1 microsecond), allowing
		core elements to fission more effectively.
	Beryllium tamper reflects escaping neutrons back into core.
	Energy release overcomes inward momentum and inertia of core
		elements and the weapon or device disassembles (explodes).

FUSION WEAPON PRINCIPLES

Fusion weapons are built in stages, rather then concentric spheres.  The
first stage, called the Primary, is a boosted fission device.  The primary
provides the thermal heat, the radiation pressure and the neutrons to
initiate the fusion reaction in the second stage, called the Secondary.
The secondary is a cylindrical fuel capsule.  The stages have a very
specific structure.  On the "top", facing the primary and a few inches from
it, is a radiation shield of Tuballoy (U-238).  There is a hole in the
radiation shield called a neutron channel.  The radiation shield is several
inches thick.  The rest of the stage is a concentric series of cylinders.
The outermost cylinder, which lines up with the outer edges of the radiation
shield such that the shield "plugs" the stage, is a reactive jacket made
of either Tuballoy or, for high-yield weapons, Oralloy (U-235).  This is a
thin cylinder, perhaps 1/2 inch at most.  This jacket is called the "pusher".
Inside the pusher is the thermonuclear fuel.  This is usually lithium
deuteride, made with Li-6, an isotope of lithium, and deuterium.  The
fuel capsule is made by placing lithium salt in a vacuum canister, heating it,
and bathing it in gaseous deuterium.  The deuterium bonds with the lithium,
creating powdered lithium deuteride.  This powder is then compressed into
a ceramic and milled to the correct shape and size.  Inside the fuel capsule
is a Oralloy "sparkplug".  On the bottom of the stage is another shield of
Tuballoy.  If this is to be a three (or greater) stage weapon, there will
be a neutron channel in the bottom radiation shield of the second
stage.

Each stage, including the primary, is supported in a dense plastic foam.
This is how the "styrofoam H-bomb" story got started.  Outside the plastic
is the bomb casing, which must be very strong.

Firing sequence:

	Primary stage (boosted fission device) fires, releasing X-ray burst
		and fission particles.  The X-rays travel an order of
		magnitude faster through the bomb casing than the particles
		and fragments from the primary.
	The inner lining of the bomb casing is designed to reflect the X-rays
		back onto the secondary.  The radiation inside the bomb
		casing turns the plastic foam to a plasma with about the
		same density as lead.
	The radiation pressure compresses the secondary, packing the atoms
		in the pusher, fuel and sparkplug closer together, which
		increases both the probability and efficiency of the
		upcoming fission/fusion reaction. This is the "linear
		compression" fusion reaction some people have wondered
		about.
	Neutrons from the primary arrive at the secondary and travel down
		the neutron channel in the radiation plug, initiating a
		chain reaction in the sparkplug, releasing a spray of neutrons
		and additional heat and compression.
	The thermonuclear fuel, compressed from both the inside (by the
		fissioning sparkplug) and the outside (by the now-fissioning
		pusher) begins to react.
	The lithium isotope (usually li-6) in the fuel fissions, producing
		Helium isotopes, more neutrons, and Tritium (the third,
		heaviest and last isotope of Hydrogen).
	The Tritium from the Lithium fission fuses with the Deuterium already
		present in the stage, releasing additional energy energy.
	If the device has more than two stages, X-rays from the secondary
		compress the Tertiary stage, and neutrons from the
		fissioning sparkplug in the secondary initiate a chain
		reaction in the sparkplug in the Tertiary, and the cycle
		begins again.
	Eventually, the bomb casing can no longer contain the energy, and
		the weapon or device disassembles.

In theory, it would be possible to create a fusion device using a high-
explosive compression around a cylindrical fuel stage that would remove
the need for the fission primary.  If this design has progressed beyond
the theory phase, details have not been declassified.  In theory, at least,
the "linear compression" thermonuclear device is possible.

I will provide additional details and references if there is enough interest.
Also, if anyone from Lawrence Livermore or Los Alamos can provide corrections
or clarifications, I would be most appreciative.

Cheers,
Phil

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
 relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."
						- Richard P. Feynman

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: prm@ecn.purdue.edu
>... Inside the fuel capsule is a Oralloy "sparkplug"...

People in a position to know have been heard to state that modern US
thermonuclear weapons no longer need "sparkplugs" to ignite the fusion
reaction, although older ones did use them.

>Also, if anyone from Lawrence Livermore or Los Alamos can provide corrections
>or clarifications, I would be most appreciative.

I think it's unlikely that any of them will speak up, given the almost
obsessive secrecy about a lot of this stuff.  If you have a security
clearance, you think twice about even repeating published material, as
the security bureaucrats may claim that you've thus "confirmed" it.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry