[sci.military] HARM question

ggroup4%hydra.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Games Group 4/Gym Quirk) (11/19/90)

From: ggroup4%hydra.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Games Group 4/Gym Quirk)
I was looking over the versoins of Larry Bond's HARPOON computer game
(and the miniature rules it was derrived from) when I encountered a
discepancy.

One version stated that the HARM missile had a range of 40 nm while the
other stated that it was 70 nm.  Which is correct?  Was there an
imporved version introduced?  If so, when was it introduced?

Also, what does the "H" stand for.  I believe that the rest stands for
*A*nti-*R*adiation *M*issile.

Thanx.

Taki Kogoma, UNM

rqdms@lims02.lerc.nasa.gov (DENNIS STOCKERT) (11/20/90)

From: rqdms@lims02.lerc.nasa.gov (DENNIS STOCKERT)
In article <1990Nov19.001226.8263@cbnews.att.com>, ggroup4%hydra.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Games Group 4/Gym Quirk) writes...

>Also, what does the "H" stand for.  I believe that the rest stands for
>*A*nti-*R*adiation *M*issile.

I believe it stands for "High-speed"...

* Dennis Stockert              *  The meek shall inherit the earth;   *
* rqdms@lims01.lerc.nasa.gov   *  the rest of us will go to the stars *
****************************************** Aviation Week **************
*  No one that knows me would mistake my opinions for those of        *
*                 any respectable organization                        *

Harry P Bloomberg <hpb@unix.cis.pitt.edu> (11/20/90)

From: Harry P Bloomberg <hpb@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

In article <1990Nov19.001226.8263@cbnews.att.com> you write:

>I was looking over the versions of Larry Bond's HARPOON computer game
>(and the miniature rules it was derrived from) when I encountered a
>discepancy.
>
>One version stated that the HARM missile had a range of 40 nm while the
>other stated that it was 70 nm.  Which is correct?  Was there an
>imporved version introduced?  If so, when was it introduced?

   I saw in a recent Wall Street Journal article that the range was 70 nm.
However, keep in mind that the actual range will vary depending upon the
aircraft's altitude and attitude.  An aircraft flying a climbing parabolic
trajectory can launch a missile at a greater range than one in level flight.

>Also, what does the "H" stand for.  I believe that the rest stands for
>*A*nti-*R*adiation *M*issile.

   HARM stands for High-speed Anti-Radiation Missile.  HARM is much faster
than previous ARM's.  The idea is to hit the target before he realizes that
he is in HARM's way (sorry, I couldn't resist :-) ).

Harry Bloomberg
hpb@hpb.cis.pitt.edu or
hpb@vms.cis.pitt.edu

swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams) (11/20/90)

From: swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams)

>Also, what does the "H" stand for.  I believe that the rest stands for
>*A*nti-*R*adiation *M*issile.

HARM stands for High-speed Anti-Radiation Missile.  It is built by the
US Naval Air Systems Command, and the prime contractor is Texas Instruments.

Note: this information was from the Jane's All The World Aircraft 1974-75.
      I need a newer version for more updated information.

megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23) (11/22/90)

From: megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23)

In article <1990Nov19.001226.8263@cbnews.att.com> ggroup4%hydra.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Games Group 4/Gym Quirk) writes:
>Also, what does the "H" stand for.  I believe that the rest stands for
>*A*nti-*R*adiation *M*issile.

HARM is High-speed Anti-Radiation Missile. The was an older missile called
ARM. The HARM cuts down flight time and gives the radar ops less time to
shut down.

#  "Calling Garland operator 7G," EVE           Email megazone@wpi.wpi.edu    #
# MEGAZONE, aka DAYTONA, aka BRIAN BIKOWICZ     Bitnet Use a gateway. Sorry.  #

gregs@meaddata.com (Greg Smith) (11/27/90)

From: gregs@meaddata.com (Greg Smith)

I have the computer version of the game and I think the
range is 40 nm.  The Soviet equivalent has a 70 nm. range
and maybe they got them mixed up.

Does anyone out there have an opinion of the HARPOON computer game ?

I find it far too easy to win (except in a few selected senarios)
when playing either side.  I also have problems with bugs in the
program.  Although the version shipped this summer rarely locks up
it does demonstrate inconsistent behavior.

Thanks,

Greg

[mod.note:  Please be sure replies are relevant to sci.military, or
direct them to the approriate group.  - Bill ]