[sci.military] SR-71 on display

bds@linus.mitre.org (Barry D. Smith) (11/27/90)

From: bds@linus.mitre.org (Barry D. Smith)

If you're going to Omaha, make sure you go to the SAC Museum.  They
have an SR-71 on display (next to a U-2).  You can touch it, kick the
tires, have your picture taken with it, etc.  You can't look inside,
though.  Overall, it's a very impressive plane.

kitchel@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Sid Kitchel) (11/29/90)

From: kitchel@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Sid Kitchel)
bds@linus.mitre.org (Barry D. Smith) writes:

>From: bds@linus.mitre.org (Barry D. Smith)

>If you're going to Omaha, make sure you go to the SAC Museum.  They
>have an SR-71 on display (next to a U-2).  You can touch it, kick the
>tires, have your picture taken with it, etc.  You can't look inside,
>though.  Overall, it's a very impressive plane.

	Anybody have a few million bucks to donate?? The Smithsonian
would like to open an annex to their Air and Space museum on the Mall in
D.C. What is planned is a complex at Dulles for display of large aircraft.
The Smithsonian has an SR-71 and a Space Shuttle already there in hangars.
The Enola Gay will also be displayed. Presently she is in pieces at the
Paul E. Garber Facility for Storage and Restoration of Aircraft and
Spacecraft in Suitland, Maryland. She is under repair and reconstruction with
the goal of returning her to 1945 condition. (I saw her about three weeks ago.)
The new facility at Dulles would also contain restoration work areas. One
of the really interesting pieces at the Garber Facility is a mint condition
Nazi plane that is the world's first jet bomber -- I would like to see it
displayed as well. I really hope that the Dulles museum gets funded soon
-- there are a bunch of quite nice specimens at the Garber Facility that
should have greater public access.
							--Sid
--
Sid Kitchel...............WARNING: allergic to smileys and hearts....
Computer Science Dept.                         kitchel@cs.indiana.edu