[sci.military] Definitions please?

richk@tera.com (Richard Korry) (11/16/90)

From: richk@tera.com (Richard Korry)
Just a quick question. How do the following unit types differ?
Cavalry and Armored Cavalry?
Armored Cavalry and (just plain) Armor
Airborne and Airborne (Air Assault)
And also, does the 1st Air Cavalry that fought in VietNam still operate as
"Air Cavalry" or is it now just "Cavalry". And will they get to ride camels
this time (:-))?
	rich

jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam) (11/17/90)

From: jepullia@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (John Pulliam)
In article <1990Nov16.052239.21890@cbnews.att.com> richk@tera.com
(Richard Korry) writes:

>From: richk@tera.com (Richard Korry)
>Just a quick question. How do the following unit types differ?

I can have fun with this!  Be warned that my answers are opinionated,
but still based on fact.  8-)

>Cavalry and Armored Cavalry?

Cavalry is a state of mind (think of Jackson in the Valley in the
Civil War); Armored Cavalry is a state of mind in metal coffins.  8-)

>Armored Cavalry and (just plain) Armor

Armored Cavalry as stated before; for definition of armored, just take
away the mind.  8-)

>Airborne and Airborne (Air Assault)

Airborne is gung-ho, elite, tough as nails.  Airborne (Air Assault)
used to be that way, until it was taken off jump status.  Now it still
rides air taxis to the battle, but doesn't get to use parachutes.
Airborne often called wind dummies (allusion to parachuting); Air
Assault often called Dope on a Rope (allusion to rappelling out of
helicopters).  Both are smarter than armor (see above).  8-)

Hope this helps (but kinda doubt it!)  8-)

John Pulliam
Airborne Combat Engineer (ACE)

rollhaus@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (Rollhauser) (11/19/90)

From: rollhaus@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (Rollhauser)

In article <1990Nov16.052239.21890@cbnews.att.com> richk@tera.com (Richard Korry) writes:
>From: richk@tera.com (Richard Korry)
>Just a quick question. How do the following unit types differ?
>Cavalry and Armored Cavalry?
>Armored Cavalry and (just plain) Armor
>Airborne and Airborne (Air Assault)
>And also, does the 1st Air Cavalry that fought in VietNam still operate as
>"Air Cavalry" or is it now just "Cavalry". And will they get to ride camels
>this time (:-))?
>        rich

     Some answers.  "Cavalry" is pretty much gone, although it exists
as a concept of high mobility on the battlefield and as a general term
combining both air and armored cavalry or in reference to the old horse
cavalry.  Armored Cavalry uses the M3 "Bradley" Cavalry Fighting Vehicle
or a scout-version HMMWV to perform reconnaissance and security tasks.
Some units also use motorcyles.
    (Just plain) armor is actual offensive firepower, using tanks -usually
in conjunction with both armored cavalry and mechanized infantry- in
the attack.
    Airborne units parachute into combat, although they are usually
trained to use helicopters.  Current US airborne forces include the
82nd Abn Division and the three battalions of the 75th Rangers, as well
as a few units serving with the 6th Light Infantry Division and the
193rd Brigade (in Panama).  Air Assault means the use of helicopters
in the attack, without parachutists.  Sometimes referred to as "Dopes
on a Rope", the only actual air assault unit in our Army (and the world)
is the 101st Abn Division (Air Assault) of WWII and Vietnam fame.
Other light infantry formations and the 82nd also utilize air assault
tactics on occaision. The 101 retains the "Airborne" title as a historical
honor and includes nine infantry battalions and eleven aviation battalions,
in addition to artillery and support units.
    The 1st Air Cavalry of Vietnam is no longer so named.  It is now
a two brigade armored force (with a round out brigade, the 155th, of
the Mississippi Army National Guard, which has not yet been activated)
and deployed to the middle east reinforced by the Tiger Brigade of the
2nd Armored Division.  I very much doubt that they will ride camels
on a regular basis, although some elements of the French Foriegn Legion
often use them for patrol.

					 Chuck

Adam Frankl <adam%rondo@rand.org> (11/20/90)

From: Adam Frankl <adam%rondo@rand.org>

>>From: richk@tera.com (Richard Korry)
>Just a quick question. How do the following unit types differ?
>Cavalry and Armored Cavalry?
>Armored Cavalry and (just plain) Armor
>Airborne and Airborne (Air Assault)
>And also, does the 1st Air Cavalry that fought in VietNam still operate as
>"Air Cavalry" or is it now just "Cavalry". And will they get to ride camels
>this time (:-))?
>        rich

The differences between these units come from their missions and their
equipment.

The basic tasks of cavalry units are reconnaissance and security.  Cavalry
units are combined arms teams consisting of a combination of air cavalry
and armored cavalry.  For example, an ACR (Armored Cavalry Regiment)
consists of 3 Armored Cavalry Squadrons + 1 Air Cavalry Squadron + misc
support.

Divisional Cavalry units usually consist of 1 squadron which has 2 armored
cavalry troops + 2 air cavalry troops.  Armored cavalry troops contain a
mix of tanks and cavalry fighting vehicles.  Air cavalry troops contain a
mix of scout and attck helicopters.

BTW,
troop == company
squadron == battalion
regiment == brigade

The 1st Cavalry division is not really "cav", it just maintains the
historic name.  It is organized as an armored division. The U.S. Army has
three Armored Cavalry Regiments:  the 3rd in Saudi Arabia, The 2nd on it
way from Europe to Saudi Arabia, and the 11th in Germany.  ACRs are usually
attached directly to a corps HQ.

Airborne units deploy by parachute.  Air Assault units deploy by
helicopter.

Adam Frankl
1LT IN
U.S. Army

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (11/29/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: richk@tera.com (Richard Korry)
> Just a quick question. How do the following unit types differ?
> Cavalry and Armored Cavalry?
> Armored Cavalry and (just plain) Armor
> Airborne and Airborne (Air Assault)
> And also, does the 1st Air Cavalry that fought in VietNam still operate as
> "Air Cavalry" or is it now just "Cavalry". And will they get to ride camels
> this time (:-))?
>         rich

  The 11th Air Assault Division was formed to test the 'new' concept of
  heliborne infantry assault tactics - along with the fledgling helicoptor
  tactics.  I believe the Division was formed at Fort Benning, GA and
  tested some concepts during the Dominican Republic affair (1965?).  I
  believe that, early on, some elements even deployed to Vietnam for 'testing'.
  (I know that because my brother was a UH-1 helicoptor door gunner with
  the 11th Air Assault Div - and 'deployed' three separate times to Vietnam.)
  They had a unique 'badge' - a shield with wings (like a pilot's') with
  crossed rifles and lightning bolts.  However, once the 'concept' met with
  approval of the Department of the Army - it was decided to deploy the
  division as the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile).  Therefore, the 11th
  Air Assault Div was redisignated the 1st Cav Div and was the first Army
  division to deploy to Vietnam.

  The reason d'entendre that the 1st Cavalry was designated the first to
  deploy to Vietnam stems from an action in the Korean war that brought
  discredit to the entire unit.  If you recall the divisional patch of the
  1st Cav - big bright yellow background - black diagonal bar - black
  silhouette of a horse head - in barracks language it was said "the
  horse they never rode, the stream they never crossed, yellow is the color
  of the outfit!"  During a period of action in Korea the 1st Cav Div was
  assigned the task to protect a sensitive radio intercept battalion - the
  303d Signal Security Battalion - the 1st Cav got word of an impending
  Chinese attack the next morning and pulled back to a "better defensive
  position" but neglected to inform the Radio Intercept Battalion.  The
  next morning found the 303d completely surrounded by Chinese.  Only 6
  survivors of that Battalion made it back to friendly lines.  Based on that
  incident the 1st Cav "lost it's colors, no one was allowed to wear the
  1st Cav patch as a Korean combat patch - and the 1st Cav was to remain
  in Korea - not able to return to the United States until it "won it's
  colors back in battle."

  Now it may seem that this is just 'barracks-legend' but this was alluded
  to by three separate sources:  The first was my basic training drill
  sergeant (1961) who had served with the 1st Cav in Korea and mentioned
  something about this incident.  The second was at Fort Devens Mass in
  1962, one of my instructors was a Master Sergeant who wore the I Corps
  patch for combat in Korea - one of the survivors of the 303d Battalion.

  Another 'fact' that may support this is that when I was assigned to
  the 303d (now) ASA Battalion in 1965 (Fort Wolters, Texas) we wore the
  old 'toilet seat' Meritorious Unit Citation (on our lower sleeve) and the
  Battalion Sergeant Major told me the 303d won the MUC 'cause it was almost
  wiped out in Korea.

  In Vietnam - the 1st Cav (First Team) certainly won its colors many times
  over and any "Sky Trooper" should be proud to wear the patch.

  mike schmitt