[sci.military] Helicopter resupply mission

v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia) (11/19/90)

From: v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia)

There has been much talk lately of a resupply mission for the US embassy
in Kuwait.  From what I hear, it would likely involve one or two totally
unarmed helicopters, filled only with supplies, which would fly over the
Kuwaiti border to the US embassy.

It is anticipated, by many however, that if such a helicopter resupply
mission were attempted, the Iraqi military forces currently occupying
Kuwait, would try their _utmost_ to _destroy_ the units.

If such a mission was put into action.
My question is this:  Who chooses who to operate the helicopters on such
			a seemingly suicidal mission?  And on what basis
			is the selection made?  If selected, are the
			personel given the option to reject the mission?
			Would selection be totally voluntary?

Thanks,
Zerxes

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (11/20/90)

From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)
In article <1990Nov19.001338.8426@cbnews.att.com>, v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia) writes:

>There has been much talk lately of a resupply mission for the US embassy
>in Kuwait.  From what I hear, it would likely involve one or two totally
>unarmed helicopters, filled only with supplies, which would fly over the
>Kuwaiti border to the US embassy.
>
>It is anticipated, by many however, that if such a helicopter resupply
>mission were attempted, the Iraqi military forces currently occupying
>Kuwait, would try their _utmost_ to _destroy_ the units.
>
>If such a mission was put into action.
>My question is this:  Who chooses who to operate the helicopters on such
>			a seemingly suicidal mission?  And on what basis
>			is the selection made?  If selected, are the
>			personel given the option to reject the mission?
>			Would selection be totally voluntary?

Depends. If you do it as a public event in broad daylight, I think they'd
ask for volunteers.

If they do resupply at night, with an MH-60 Nighthawk (?) or MH-47 (?), you
pick some of the best guys you have to do NOE flying, and make the decision
to fly them in, but not out. An audacious act, perhaps... :-)

Or, if you are the sneaky type, you purchase an Mil-8 chopper (currently
available at cut-rate prices from various Eastern European countries), fit in
some drop tanks, paint it in Iraqi colors, and brashly resupply the embassy in
broad daylight. Just get out of town before someone figures out what is going
on....

olorin@wam.umd.edu (11/22/90)

From: olorin@wam.umd.edu ()
In article <1990Nov19.001338.8426@cbnews.att.com> v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia) writes:
>There has been much talk lately of a resupply mission for the US embassy
>in Kuwait.  From what I hear, it would likely involve one or two totally
>unarmed helicopters, filled only with supplies, which would fly over the
>Kuwaiti border to the US embassy.
>It is anticipated, by many however, that if such a helicopter resupply
>mission were attempted, the Iraqi military forces currently occupying
>Kuwait, would try their _utmost_ to _destroy_ the units.
>If such a mission was put into action.
>My question is this:  Who chooses who to operate the helicopters on such
>			a seemingly suicidal mission?  And on what basis
>			is the selection made?  If selected, are the
>			personel given the option to reject the mission?
>			Would selection be totally voluntary?

I would think that the pilots would be volunteers, both for the practical
reason that you would want them to be your best people doing their best,
and for the political reason that starting a war over the bodies of
impressed pilots would not look good.  You'd be surprised what you
can get people to volunteer for;  there's an excellent book by
James Leasor called _Green Beach_ that recounts a secret mission to
Normandy in WWII.  Seems the Allies wanted information on German radar
units in France, but the only people that knew enough about German
radar to be useful also knew too much about Allied radar to be captured.
So they sent their expert off on the Dieppe raid with a squad of ten
bodyguards, with orders to shoot him rather than allow him to be captured.
And yes, he volunteered in full knowledge of that.

Xerxes does bring up a question I've wondered about for a while.  Under
military law, are there any grounds on which an order can be refused because
of its suicidal (or stupid) nature?  Is there any point at which a
soldier can say, "I'm not going to get myself and my men killed for
no reason?"  Clearly, an officer can order you to do suicidally
dangerous things ("you are going to cross that nice open field of fire
and take out that machine gun") but can he, for example, order you
on a kamikaze mission?  Or do you just refuse orders and hope you can
convince the court-martial that you were acting reasonably?

This is actually not really a sci.military question, but there is no
soc.military...

Laura Burchard

fred (Fred Brooks) (11/26/90)

From: uunet!sma2!fred (Fred Brooks)

	Why have a manned flight. If all you want is to drop supplies
a remote controlled helo or drone is the way to go. We have many devices
that can be guided over the embassy for a drop of goods. Some I would guess
have stealth features
--
Defend your 2nd amendment rights.
Fred Brooks   			        Portland Oregon

bjohnson@e40-008-7.MIT.EDU (Brett W Johnson) (11/27/90)

From: bjohnson@e40-008-7.MIT.EDU (Brett W Johnson)
In article <1990Nov21.223913.22989@cbnews.att.com> olorin@wam.umd.edu writes:

>Xerxes does bring up a question I've wondered about for a while.  Under
>military law, are there any grounds on which an order can be refused because
>of its suicidal (or stupid) nature?  Is there any point at which a
>soldier can say, "I'm not going to get myself and my men killed for
>no reason?"  Clearly, an officer can order you to do suicidally
>dangerous things ("you are going to cross that nice open field of fire
>and take out that machine gun") but can he, for example, order you
>on a kamikaze mission?  Or do you just refuse orders and hope you can
>convince the court-martial that you were acting reasonably?

Well, I'm not a military lawyer (but I play one on TV :), but you can
be ordered to do damn near *anything* in a combat situation.  There
are some 'illegalities' that can be refused (like shooting prisoners).

In general, if it comes down to a judgement call the officer wins.  And
can shoot you for disobeying his legal (stupid maybe, but legal) order.

Volunteers are traditionally asked for suicide missions...  And remember
that the men are "armed and dangerous" and not above shooting there own
idiot officers, if said stupidity becomes too blatant.  In fact, when
I was in the Army, some friends of mine had a bet that a certain officer
was likely to die from *friendly* fire...  "Yes sir, it was an accident.
I emptied a 30 round magazine into him.  On semi-auto, no less.  Really,
it was an accident..."

--
-Brett                                   These opinions are my own and
bjohnson@athena.mit.edu                  do not neccessarily reflect

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (11/29/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

In article <1990Nov19.001338.8426@cbnews.att.com>, v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia) writes:

> From: v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia)

  Re your questions about a helicoptor resupply mission for the US embassy
  in Kuwait:  The answers to your questions could be very complicated -
  however, for simplicity, how 'bout a simple answer and a brief explanation
  - in military terms:

> My question is this:

  > Who chooses who to operate the helicoptors on such a seemingly
  > suicidal mission?

    Commanders do.  The first question is - who is in the best position
    to resupply - and protect the resupply elements.  Army?  Navy?  Marines?
    So, based on a 'brief estimate of the situation' (mission vs capabilities
    vs availability vs readiness) one service is picked.  To "resupply" usually
    means "heavy lift" Chinooks (CH-47) or the heavier Marine CH-53s.
    I'd probably give the mission to the Marines - remember - it's not a
    'suicidal mission' until AFTER YOU COUNT THE SCORE.  So, after the
    "Senior U.S. Commander designates the Marines as the resupply force,
    he simply "tasks" the senior Marine Commander with the mission.  The
    Marine Commander and his staff then "plan" and select the 'best capable
    unit' and simply "task order" them to conduct the operation.

  > And on what basis is the selection made?

    First, the mission and requirement - how much stuff - how many helicoptors
    to lift that much stuff - how many gunships to escort and protect -
    how many troops to provide security on the ground - how much air power
    to 'cover' etc etc.  Then the unit is selected based on its readiness
    and capabilities (and to a lesser extent but also important - who the
    commander is)

  > If selected, are the personel given the option to reject the mission?

    Nope - they don't get a vote!  The military, by its very nature, is
    autocratic and dictatorial.   Semper Fi!

  > Would selection be totally voluntary?

    Not likely.  If there were 2-3 'like' units capable of the mission - a
    commander might ask "Who wants this one?"  It would probably be more
    like "Colonel, the General want to see you - he's got a job for you....."

      "No mission too difficult.  No sacrifice too great.  Duty first!"

                                  - motto of the 1st Infantry Division
                                                    The Big Red One

    mike schmitt