[sci.military] Unmanned ASW Helo

arthur@Eng.Sun.COM (Arthur Leung) (11/27/90)

From: arthur@Eng.Sun.COM (Arthur Leung)

In article <1990Nov25.223324.14409@cbnews.att.com>  writes:

>From: uunet!sma2!fred (Fred Brooks)
>
>	Why have a manned flight. If all you want is to drop supplies
>a remote controlled helo or drone is the way to go. We have many devices
>that can be guided over the embassy for a drop of goods. Some I would guess
>have stealth features
>--
>Defend your 2nd amendment rights.
>Fred Brooks   			        Portland Oregon
>Life is too too short to live in California

didn't the US Navy have a remotely controlled ASW helo drone?  i
know that lots of older frigates still in commission have the
small hangar designed for this drone (most have since been
extended to support the manned ASW helos).  as i understood it,
the ASW drone was discontinued for "loss of control" problems.
is this the full story, or was it a datalink limitation with
the parent?  or did the Navy find that a human "out there"
was better?  or was a helo that could carry more than torps
more useful?

-- arthur

disclaimer: if i knew anything, why am i reading this newsgroup?

hmueller@wfsc4.tamu.edu (Hal Mueller) (11/29/90)

From: hmueller@wfsc4.tamu.edu (Hal Mueller)

>didn't the US Navy have a remotely controlled ASW helo drone?  i
>know that lots of older frigates still in commission have the
>small hangar designed for this drone (most have since been
>extended to support the manned ASW helos).  as i understood it,
>the ASW drone was discontinued for "loss of control" problems.

The system was called DASH--Drone Anti-Submarine Helicopter.  The
BROOKE class FFG (originally DEG-1 through 6) was designed to
carry two.  They later operated with early versions of LAMPS (one
LAMPS bird only).  Since the BROOKE class was built on a GARCIA-class
hull, it's plausible that the GARCIA class was originally meant to
be a DASH platform as well.

The GLOVER (a one-of-a-kind FF) was designed to carry one, and her
JP-5 (jet fuel) system was designed to fuel only one; when I was
aboard her I was told that that's the reason they weren't certified
for in-flight refueling.  GLOVER's flight deck was too small for
any manned helo in service.

I remember hearing, though I can't remember the source, that
DASH's primary failing was that the operators liked to run
the helos at the edge of their control range.  When they flew
out of range, they lost control.  I've also seen a film of
a DASH politely keeping station 100 yards abeam of the control
ship and refusing all orders.

--
Hal Mueller               Remember that the only thing the USAF and USN have
hmueller@wfsc4.tamu.edu   ever agreed on is that the Army shouldn't have

schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (jeffrey schweiger) (11/29/90)

From: schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (jeffrey schweiger)

In article <1990Nov27.043636.1845@cbnews.att.com> arthur@Eng.Sun.COM (Arthur Leung) writes:

|didn't the US Navy have a remotely controlled ASW helo drone?  i
|know that lots of older frigates still in commission have the
|small hangar designed for this drone (most have since been
|extended to support the manned ASW helos).  as i understood it,
|the ASW drone was discontinued for "loss of control" problems.
|is this the full story, or was it a datalink limitation with
|the parent?  or did the Navy find that a human "out there"
|was better?  or was a helo that could carry more than torps
|more useful?

The helicopter involved was the QH-50 DASH (Drone Anti-Submarine Helicopter)
built by Gyrodyne.  They entered service in 1963 with over 300 built.  It had
a weapons load potential of two homing torpedoes.

I don't have the details on why they were phased out.

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

aoki@hermes.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) (11/29/90)

From: aoki@hermes.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki)
>From: arthur@Eng.Sun.COM (Arthur Leung)
>didn't the US Navy have a remotely controlled ASW helo drone?  i
>know that lots of older frigates still in commission have the
>small hangar designed for this drone (most have since been
>extended to support the manned ASW helos).  as i understood it,
>the ASW drone was discontinued for "loss of control" problems.
>is this the full story, or was it a datalink limitation with
>the parent?  or did the Navy find that a human "out there"
>was better?  or was a helo that could carry more than torps
>more useful?

Some of the anecdotal problems with (sea stories about) DASH, the
Drone ASw Helicopter, were:
- The control freq(s) overlapped with certain US Navy radar freqs.
- It carried two torpedos but tipped over when it carried one
  (with obvious and catastrophic results).
- It was very difficult to control and recover.

You can get a laugh out of a few old salts when you mention DASH..
The DASH ships still in the fleet have been refitted to support
LAMPS Mk I (Kaman SH-2).
--
    Paul M. Aoki   |   aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU   |   ...!ucbvax!aoki