[sci.military] Deploying Divisions

dxb105@csc.anu.oz.au (11/16/90)

From: dxb105@csc.anu.oz.au
In article <1990Nov15.013229.1464@cbnews.att.com>, bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) writes:
>    The weight and size of heavy divisions (4,700 vehicles, 100 helicoptors)
>    means they must go by sea.  A Mech Inf Div requires 85,000 short tons
>    and an Arm Div requires 90,000 short tons (deployment weight).

This was in reference to a desert shield type of scenario - a sudden decision
to send a division to somewhere the US hadn't thought it needed to. How much
could you trim off that if a lot of the gear was already in place (e.g. POMCUS
in Western Europe) and all you needed to send was the grunts?
David Bofinger	AARNet:	dxb105@phys.anu.edu.au
                Snail:	Dept. of Theoretical Physics, RSPhysS, ANU, ACT, 2601
"To our friends, the good guys. And to our enemies, the bad guys. And to the
hope that someday we will be able to tell the difference." - Keith Laumer

budden@trout.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) (11/19/90)

From: budden@trout.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)

To complete the deployment record, there are indeed Coast Guardsmen
involved in Sesert Shield.  But many are not in organized USCG
formations, so they don't show up in the reports.

In CONUS, some of the reserve port security outfits were activated
to do their mobilization thing at loadout ports, mostly on the
east coast.  We moved around a few patrol craft for port egress
escort duty.

In the middle east, there are a number (sorry, I don't know specifics),
of subject matter experts working.  Most (if not all) are boarding
officers attached to Navy vessels performing blockade enforcement
duties.

Open figures within the service count 300-400 Coast Guardsmen involved
in Desert Shield.  How that spreads across the duties, isn't clear
and I doubt if that includes any patrol boat crews chopped to CONUS
escort duty for a couple weeks then back to drug patrols.

Rex Buddenberg

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (11/20/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
>From article <1990Nov16.054727.24406@cbnews.att.com>, by dxb105@csc.anu.oz.au:
>
> From: dxb105@csc.anu.oz.au
> In article <1990Nov15.013229.1464@cbnews.att.com>, bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) writes:
>>    The weight and size of heavy divisions (4,700 vehicles, 100 helicoptors)
>>    means they must go by sea.  A Mech Inf Div requires 85,000 short tons
>>    and an Arm Div requires 90,000 short tons (deployment weight).
>
> This was in reference to a desert shield type of scenario - a sudden decision
> to send a division to somewhere the US hadn't thought it needed to. How much
> could you trim off that if a lot of the gear was already in place (e.g. POMCUS
> in Western Europe) and all you needed to send was the grunts?

I think you have identified the crux of the problem, now becoming evident in
the deployment to SA.  The U.S. military was re-designed after Korea to fight
a war against the USSR in central Europe.  This was fine-tuned to the point
that, in order to keep Iraq from going farther than Kuwait, we have to send
damn near 50% of everything.  And once they are in place, we have to leave
them there in order to have a credible deterrent (with conventional forces).

The NATO deployment plan assumed away the need for sealift by building the
POMCUS sites, and requiring only airlift of the units from CONUS sans
equipment.  There were questions as to whether this was inded realistic;
before the collapse of the Soviet empire, NATO strategy was sometimes
characterized as "fight three days, then blow up the world".

IMHO, "rapid deployment" capability (of large forces) does not really exist.
In order to have a credible "rapid deployment", you must have either fully
equipped forces in place, or have bases worldwide with sufficient forces
"forward deployed" to get there "firstest with the mostest".  It hasn't
changed much since the days of Bedford Forrest.

In a roundabout way, I think the answer to the question above is that sending
troops without equipment can be done by airlift quickly, but is not a credible
deterrent unless you are fighting an enemy similarly unequipped.

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (11/29/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> The NATO deployment plan assumed away the need for sealift by building the
> POMCUS sites, and requiring only airlift of the units from CONUS sans
> equipment.  There were questions as to whether this was inded realistic;
> before the collapse of the Soviet empire, NATO strategy was sometimes
> characterized as "fight three days, then blow up the world".

  I deployed with the 1st Infantry Division twice on REFORGER, drawing
  our POMCUS stocks.  There is, stored in climate-controlled warehouses
  around Karlshruhe and Pirmasens, an entire mechanized division's rolling
  stock of tanks, APCs, self-propelled artillery, wheeled vehicles - a
  'one-for-one' stockage of the division's TO&E, line item by line item.
  All on-board equipment is also stocked (radios, OVM, etc).  Personnel
  deploy with personal baggage and personal weapons.  For practical reasons,
  mechanics hand-carried their tool kits.  Besides our 'carry-on baggage'
  TAT baggage (To Accompany Troops), a duffle bag and a foot locker, were
  put on the same C-141 as the troops.  CONEX containers with 'other stuff'
  carried unit supplies (field desks, tentage, maps, documents, etc.)

  Once we arrived at our POMCUS site, we had exactly 24-hours to draw
  our equipment - install batteries - check fluid levels - form convoys -
  and convoy to a nearby (within 5Km) IUAA (Initial Unit Assembly Area).
  Within that 24-hour period the POMCUS site 'owned' the equipment and
  were responsible for any maintenance/repair/replacement.  After 24-hours
  it was the unit's responsibility (and our organic maintenance folks).

  The division would be reinforced with its forward deployed 3d Brigade
  and usually with another NATO brigade - either a German Panzer/Panzer
  Grenadier Brigade or the 4th Canadian Brigade.  Then we would conduct
  about a 10-day Manuever exercise against the 3d ID or the 1st AD - also
  reinforced with a NATO brigade.

  After the manuever phase - we would road march to Grafenwehr where the
  artillery and tanks would undergo live-fire gunnery.  After that - we
  would load all our tracked vehicles on rail cars for the trip back to
  the POMCUS sites and the wheels would convoy back.

  We would then reverse the drawing process and prepare all vehicles for
  storage and turnback to POMCUS folks - and fly back to Fort Riley and
  begin planning next year's Reforger.

  It was a pure logistical exercise.  The sole purpose was deployment and
  practice drawing POMCUS stocks and exercising them.

  Was it realistic?  I believe it was.  I've seen the major combat elements
  of the 1st ID deploy from CONUS by C-141, draw their POMCUS equipment,
  convoy into an assembly area and be ready to go on the offensive within
  72 hours.  Of course, to 'close' the entire division into Europe took
  about 10 days.

  I don't know the status of all that POMCUS today - and Reforger was being
  de-emphasized - and will probably not take place again, any time soon.

  But, having participated in 7 Reforger exercises - it was 'fun' while it
  lasted.

  mike schmitt