[sci.military] Buffalo Navy Museum?

jvz@uunet.uu.net (John V. Zambito) (11/27/90)

From: ccicpg!cci632!jvz@uunet.uu.net (John V. Zambito)

Does anybody have any information regarding the Navy Museum in
Buffalo New York? I think it has 2 or 3 ships. Which ones are
they? Does it cost anything to enter? Is it open all year? A
phone number would be nice. I called information and they
couldn't help.

v059l49z@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy) (11/29/90)

From: v059l49z@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy)

In article <1990Nov27.044618.3264@cbnews.att.com>, ccicpg!cci632!jvz@uunet.uu.net (John V. Zambito) writes...
>From: ccicpg!cci632!jvz@uunet.uu.net (John V. Zambito)
>
>Does anybody have any information regarding the Navy Museum in
>Buffalo New York? I think it has 2 or 3 ships. Which ones are
>they? Does it cost anything to enter? Is it open all year? A
>phone number would be nice. I called information and they
>couldn't help.

I went to the museum a few years ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit.

They have the USS Little Rock cruiser.  It has 3 6" guns at the bow with 2
5" guns over them.  There is a missle laucher at the stern.  It was for a
time flagship for the sixth fleet so there is a large map of the Mediterranean
on board.  You can see the missile storage area (though the only missiles on
board were on the launcher).

They also have the USS The Sullivans destroyer (named after the Sullivan
brothers lost on the USS Juneau in 1942 in the Pacific).  It's the only ship
with a plural name so I hear.  It has 4 or 5 dual 5" guns.

[mod.note:  Isn't USS Cowpens (CVL-25) also a plural? 8-) - Bill ]

They recently received the USS Croaker submarine.  I haven't seen the inside
of it, but I assume you can go on it.

They also have a M47 tank, M113 APC, F-101, FJ Fury, and a PT boat (on land).

I don't know how much it is, but I think its worth it.  It shouldn't be too
much.

I think it closes the end of November, and I don't know when it opens.

Hope this was helpful to you.

				Paul "Joe Friday" Stacy