[sci.military] M1 Abrams Tank Trailers

cash@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Peter Cash) (11/27/90)

From: convex!cash@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Peter Cash)

In television newscasts, I have seen M1 tanks deployed in SA towing
trailers. What is the purpose of these trailers? Are they towed into
battle? (Are they, perhaps, used to cart along extra ammo?)

             |      Die Welt ist alles, was Zerfall ist.     |
Peter Cash   |       (apologies to Ludwig Wittgenstein)      |cash@convex.com

Mr David Morning <dam@cs.glasgow.ac.uk> (11/29/90)

From: Mr David Morning <dam@cs.glasgow.ac.uk>

In article <1990Nov27.045751.4761@cbnews.att.com> convex!cash@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Peter Cash) writes:

>In television newscasts, I have seen M1 tanks deployed in SA towing
>trailers. What is the purpose of these trailers? Are they towed into
>battle? (Are they, perhaps, used to cart along extra ammo?)

I believe that they are fuel bowsers.
As an aside but related to this, I read an article in a UK national that
the Iraq situation is being used as a proving ground to test the combat
and reliability of some of the tanks under consideration by the British Army
as a replacement for the ageing Chieftain tank. The four tanks are:-
Vickers UK Challenger 2
Abrams Mk1 (M1?)
Leopard (West German)
a French tank whose designation I don't know.
	[mod.note:  Probably the Leclerc. - Bill ]
The French tank and the Leopard have been eliminated due to light weight
armour although (apparently) the Leopard had the best gun control of the four.
The Challenger, after a troublesome start, is now proving to be reliable
and effective (unlike the Kuwaiti Army's Chieftains which, according to a report
on BBCs Newsnight had mostly broken down before firing a shot. Apparently
none were taken out by Iraqi tanks, those that were still working fled to SA)
Some concern is being raised as to the reliability and range of the M1. The
M1 was the Army's original favourite for replacement of the Chieftan however
the gas turbine engines used in the M1 are sucking in large quantities of
grit and sand clogging filters restricting the range. In addition it consumes
fuel at an alarming rate, over 3 times as much as the Challenger, and this
places an extra burden on the tank in that it has to carry extra fuel to get
the range up, hence the fuel bowsers. Since the fuel bowsers are wheeled it
is felt by some that these are unsuitable for use in sand environs, the
bowsers themselves restrict mobility in combat by making reversing and manouvering more difficult, they would be an obvious target for attack not being particularly well armoured and it imposes a weight penalty on the tank.

Anyone like to comment on this?
I would have thought the tank would drop the bowser before engaging the enemy
but it may not have time if an air attack were to take place.

Dave