[sci.military] units

nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo) (06/05/90)

From: nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo)
>From: carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson)
>In article <15998@cbnews.ATT.COM> ephraim%heart.technion.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Ephraim Silverberg) writes:
>>
>>> Could someone please post a comprehensive summary of the types of combat
>>> units (regiment, company, division, platoon, etc.) along with definitions,
>>> typical sizes, and any miscellaneous information?  I've never understood
>>> this stuff.
>
>I can offer some dated info, but I think the general structure is still
>applicable.

[stuff deleted]

>Regiment would fit in here, but I don't think the Army is using regimental
>designations for combat organizations.  All units have a regimental
>affiliation, but it is more historical than anything else.

When I was in the U.S. Army (Sep '71 thru Aug '74), I was stationed
in West Germany in a combat unit --- its shortened format was 1/37
Armor, which was short for 1st Battalion 37th Armor. I have several
certificates at home specifying the complete name as 1st Battalion
37th Armored Regiment. 1/37 Armor was part of the 1st Brigade of the
1st Armor Division (Old Ironsides). Division HQ was 3 - 4 Km down
the road in Ansbach from where my unit was stationed.

In speaking of the 1st Armor Division, I should say the 1st U.S.
Armor Division. During the REFORGER Exercises in which I took part
(late Jan. '73, if memory serves me), we were part of the 1st NATO
Armored Division --- comprising the 1st Brigade, 3rd Brigade, Division
Artillery, and Division Support Command of the 1st U.S. Armored Divi-
sion; 4th Canadian Mechanized Battle Group; and Panzer Regiment 200.

P.S. Quite possibly, REFORGER IV.

(REFORGER == REturn of FORces to GERmany)

--

Mark Aldo                                      (osu-cis)!dsacg1!waldo
>From the Internet:                                 waldo@dsac.dla.mil
Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center     | 614-238-5811
DSAC-ZTB, P.O.Box 1605, Columbus, Ohio (USA) 43216     | AV  850-5811

nzt1939%dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil@dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo) (11/30/90)

From: nzt1939%dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil@dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo)

>From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)
>
>In article <1990Nov14.010924.15410@cbnews.att.com>, white_ca@lrc.uucp writes:
>> About a month ago, someone placed a breakdown of U.S. and other troops present
>> in the Middle East region that were either associated with OPERATION DESERT
>> SHIELD or in the vicinity.  Does anyone have an updated list?  Such a list
  >Army:    HQ 3d Army
  >         HQ VII Corps
  >         2d Armor Div
  >         3d Armor Div
  >         24th Mech Div

   I got word today that the the 1st Armor Division (Old Ironsides)
   should be completely in the gulf-region within a few short weeks.
   1st AD will be moving from Germany, as did 3rd Armor Division (Spear-
   head).

   As a former tank commander in 1/37 Armor of the 1st AD (as most of
   you have heard many times over), my heart goes with them...along
   with best wishes for safe return.

   --

Mark Aldo   UUCP: (osu-cis)!dsacg1!waldo   INTERNET: waldo@dsac.dla.mil
Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center       | 614-238-8111