[sci.military] oil_change

nzt1939%dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil@dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo) (11/30/90)

From: nzt1939%dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil@dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo)

>From:     John Masly <jmasly@mainz-emh2.army.mil>
>FROM: bits_of_magic@cup.portal.com (Ken Zarifes)
>>...in order to change the oil on an M1 tank, you had to
>>remove the entire engine and transmission!.......
>>...the oil has to be changed rather frequently....
>
>(Some of you ex-tankers out there help me out: Didn't you have to
>pull the full up power pack out of the M60 series tanks in order
>to change the engine/transmission oil?)

No...on changing engine oil! Under the hull, there is a drain plate to
'hopefully' keep contaminants out of the hull (i.e. water, fuel, oil,
etc -- fuel & oils usually from leaks). The engine oil drain plug is
located directly above this hull drain plate...just drain it, put the
plug back, and refill it. However, when I was in, we were supposed to
have what was known as 'Q-Service' (quarterly, of course;-). Battalion
maintenance would pull our pack and service it: check/change all fil-
ters, as well as checking all linkages, fuel-injector lines, oil-cooler
lines, anything associated with transmission/final-drives, turbochar-
gers, etc. While maintenance would be servicing the engine, the crew
was supposed to be decontaminating/cleaning the engine compartment in
preparation for returning the engine 'back to its rightful' place ;-)
Basically, your regular 'oil-change and lube job' is what it amounted
to. Normally, the pack would be fired-up on the ground to check for
leaks, proper functioning, etc prior to being placed back in the tank.

Hope this helps!

Mark

--

Mark Aldo   UUCP: (osu-cis)!dsacg1!waldo   INTERNET: waldo@dsac.dla.mil
Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center       | 614-238-8111