[sci.military] comments to sci.military articles

graper@BRL.MIL (MTSD/FIO) (11/22/90)

From:     Graper Brad P (MTSD/FIO) <graper@BRL.MIL>
there was an article on about 17 Nov about M1/M1A1/M1A2 deployment;
one of the comments made was that the M1s coming from FRG were M1A2s.
That's incorrect.  No M1A2s have been produced yet.
The Army is still pondering whether we want M1A2s; in the meanwhile, the
Saudis are buying severall hundred M1A2s as part of the arms package
deal just ap[proved.  M1A2s are expensive beasts, due to the extensive
changes in the electronics.
All of the tanks in FRG are M1A1s.  M1A1s all have 120mm guns, NBC collective
prtection systems (including microclimate cooling) and improved armor.

also: i have a comment to another posting, <1990Nov17.014235.27311@cbnews.att.com
Brigade Commanders are Colonels in brigades which are with a division.
Brigade Cdrs are BGs when they command a separate brigade, or a brigade which is deployed separately from the parent division (like 1st ID (FWD))

Thanks.

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (12/04/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

In article <1990Nov21.223201.22165@cbnews.att.com>, graper@BRL.MIL (MTSD/FIO) writes:
> From:     Graper Brad P (MTSD/FIO) <graper@BRL.MIL>

> Brigade Commanders are Colonels in brigades which are with a division.
> Brigade Cdrs are BGs when they command a separate brigade, or a brigade
> which is deployed separately from the parent division (like 1st ID (FWD))

  The 1st Inf Div (Forward) is commanded by a Brigadier General - however,
  he is not the brigade commander, as such.  Divisions have two BGs -
  Assistant Division Commanders (ADC).  Normally one is 'ADC-Manuever' and
  the other is 'ADC-Support'.  The CG, 1IDF is one of those ADCs (ergo, only
  one ADC at Fort Riley - HQ 1ID)

  Organizationaly, the 1st IDF consist of the division's 3rd Brigade ("Iron
  Brigade"), reinforced with about 1/3 of the division's combat, combat
  support, and combat service support units.

  There is a brigade commander for the 3d Brigade - who also acts as the
  BG's assistant division commander.  While operating "separately" the
  'brigade staff' assumed the roles of the 'general staff'.  So, while I
  was the S2 of the Brigade - I was also the G2 of the Division Forward.

  Operationally, VII Corps considered us their 'Separate Brigade' - their
  reserve force in back of the 3d ID, 1st AD, and 3d ACR.  However, during
  a REFORGER we would 'chop' back to our parent unit, 1st ID, when they
  arrived.

  The 1st IDF consists of the following (or did when I was with them):

  3rd Brigade
   1-26 Inf Bn (Mech)
   1-16 Inf Bn (Mech)
   4-73 Armor Bn
   1-76 Arty Bn (155 SP)
   C Troop/1-4 Cav
   C Co/1st Engineer Bn
   D Btry/2-67 ADA Bn (C/V)
   D Co/1st MI Bn
   C Co/1st Avn Bn(-)
   D Co/1st Signal Bn
   3d Fwd Spt Bn/DISCOM
     D Co/701 Maint Bn
     D Co/1st S&T Bn
     D Co/1st Med Bn
     C Co/501st QM Bn
   (some of my nomenclature may be off)

   Unique in personnel management, a 'Big Red One' soldier rotating to
   Europe from Fort Riley had 'first choice' to go to the 1st ID Forward.
   And rotating stateside - someone coming from 1st IDF had a first choice
   to return to the 1st ID at Fort Riley.

   mike schmitt

     "No Mission Too Difficult - No Sacrifice Too Great - Duty First!"