[sci.military] RPV on Iowas

jap2_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (The Mad Mathematician) (11/29/90)

From: jap2_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (The Mad Mathematician)

I just got a look at the 90-91 Jane's Fighting Ships, and in the
USA section, under the Iowas, there is mention that the battleships
are now carrying Israeli RPVs. Could someone send me some details
on the vehicles, and what are their projected uses?
Also, is there any plan now as to what the Navy is going to do
with the homeporting idea now that the two battleships are going
back into mothballs?  (Opinion: mothballing them is a dumb idea.)
Thanks for the info.
--
The Mad Mathematician                     jap2_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human.  At best he

hall@birds.EBay.Sun.COM (Scott Hallmark) (12/05/90)

From: hall@birds.EBay.Sun.COM (Scott Hallmark)

In article <1990Nov29.014302.24448@cbnews.att.com>, jap2_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (The Mad Mathematician) writes:
>I just got a look at the 90-91 Jane's Fighting Ships, and in the
>USA section, under the Iowas, there is mention that the battleships
>are now carrying Israeli RPVs. Could someone send me some details
>on the vehicles, and what are their projected uses?

 These RPVs were not a permanent fixture on the Battleships. But the
Iowa class BB has a main mission ASUW/NGFS so the RPV could provide
valuable time sensitive targeting data. These would be handy for bracketing
a target if the MK13 & MK25 went down.

>Also, is there any plan now as to what the Navy is going to do
>with the homeporting idea now that the two battleships are going
>back into mothballs?  (Opinion: mothballing them is a dumb idea.)
>Thanks for the info.

 I don't have any idea about the USS Wisconsin, but my guess would be
that the USS Missouri would stay in Long Beach, because Long Beach has
all the facilities to support two battleships.

 Scott Hallmark Ex-EW1 USS Missouri plankowner.