[sci.military] Naval ship designations.

ggroup4%hydra.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Games Group 4/Gym Quirk) (12/03/90)

From: ggroup4%hydra.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Games Group 4/Gym Quirk)
I have run across some ship designations that have thrown me for a
loop.  I would appreciate any help/explanations.

OPV  (U.K. _Island_ class)

AOF(L) (U.K. _Olwen_ class)

AOF(S) (U.K _Rover_ class)

AFS (U.S. _Mars_ class)

ATF (U.S. _Cherpkee_ class)

T-AGOS (U.S. _Stalwart_ class [SURTASS ship, I think])

AE (U.S. _Kilauea_ class)

T-AO (U.S. _Mispillion_ class)
	[Some kind of tanker, but what's the "T" for?]

I know most of the warship designations (though CAH [HMS _Invincible_]
took a little thought), but these auxiliaries have me confused.  If
anyone can give me a 'decoding' table for auxiliaries, I would be most
greatfull.

T. Kogoma

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (12/06/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>AFS (U.S. _Mars_ class)
An AFS is a Combat Stores Ship

>ATF (U.S. _Cherpkee_ class)
I think an ATF is a fleet tug.  If that's true, the latest class is the
Powhatan, not the Cherokee.

T-AGOS (U.S. _Stalwart_ class [SURTASS ship, I think])
A T-AGOS is an ocean surveilance ship manned by an MSC crew with USN
supervision

AE (U.S. _Kilauea_ class)
An AE is an Ammunition ship

T-AO (U.S. _Mispillion_ class)
	[Some kind of tanker, but what's the "T" for?]
A T-AO is the same as an AO, an oiler.  Any ship preceded by the T- is a
ship manned by the MSC, not the USN, but has active duty USN supervision
aboard.

For instance, the SL-7 ro ro ships that are going back and forth between
the US and SA are officialy called T-AKR's.

Allan
MIDN 3/C (PLC-JR) Allan Bourdius, Carnegie Mellon University NROTC
"Come on you sons o'bitches, do you want to live forever?" ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu
The opinons expressed in this letter/posting do not, nor are they intended
to, reflect the official policies/positions of DOD, DON, USMC, USN, NROTC,
or CMU.  Any information in this posting was obtained using unclassified
material and/or personal intuition, analysis, or extrapolation.

swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams) (12/06/90)

From: swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams)

In article <1990Dec3.052454.4371@cbnews.att.com> ggroup4%hydra.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Games Group 4/Gym Quirk) writes:
>I have run across some ship designations that have thrown me for a
>loop.  I would appreciate any help/explanations.

>OPV  (U.K. _Island_ class)

OPV stands for offshore patrol vessel

>AOF(L) (U.K. _Olwen_ class)

AOF(L) stands for Auxiliary Fleet Oiler (Large).

>AOF(S) (U.K _Rover_ class)

AOF(S) stands for Auxiliary Fleet Oiler (Small)

>AFS (U.S. _Mars_ class)
>ATF (U.S. _Cherpkee_ class)
>T-AGOS (U.S. _Stalwart_ class [SURTASS ship, I think])
>AE (U.S. _Kilauea_ class)

 Auxiliary Ships Category
--------------------------
Mobile Logistic Ships:
   AD   destroyer tender
   AE   ammunition ship
   AF   store ship
   AFS  combat store ship
   AO   oiler
   AOE  fast combat support ship
   AOR  replenishment fleet tanker
   AR   repair ship
   AS   submarine tender
   ATA  auxiliary ocean tug
   ATF  fleet ocean tug
   ATS  salvage and rescue ship
Support Ships:
   AG   miscellaneous
   AGDS deep submergence support ship
   AGF  miscellaneous command ship
   AGM  missile range instrumentation ship
   AGOR oceanographic research ship
   AGOS ocean surveillance ship
   AGS  surveying ship
   AH   hospital ship
   AK   cargo ship
   AOG  gasoline tanker
   AOT  transport oiler
   AP   transport

>T-AO (U.S. _Mispillion_ class)
>        [Some kind of tanker, but what's the "T" for?]

"T" such as in "T-AO" indicates that the ship or craft is assigned to
the Military Sealift Command and is civilian manned.  In this case "T"
is not an official part of the ship classification.