[sci.military] Autorotation of AV-8B Harrier

sasbrb@unx.sas.com (Brendan Bailey) (12/04/90)

From: Brendan Bailey <sasbrb@unx.sas.com>
    What is auto-rotate for the av-8b?  Someone I know said that the av-8b
doesn't have it.  Do some have it and some don't or do none of them have
this feature?  What capability does this give a plane(harrier?) that has it?

-------------------
Brendan Bailey

megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23) (12/05/90)

From: megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23)

In article <1990Dec4.002219.9452@cbnews.att.com> sasbrb@unx.sas.com (Brendan Bailey) writes:
>    What is auto-rotate for the av-8b?  Someone I know said that the av-8b
>doesn't have it.  Do some have it and some don't or do none of them have
>this feature?  What capability does this give a plane(harrier?) that has it?

I have never heard the term auto-rotate applied to a fixed wing aircraft.
Auto-rotation is used by a rotary winged aircraft after a loss of power.
You angle the blades downward so the airflow as you descend keeps them
spinning and builds up KE. Then when you are in proximity to the ground
you reverse the pitch and use the stored KE to provide a momentary lift
vector which cushions the impact.

The AV-8B would not be able to auto-rotate as it is a rotorless craft relying
on vectored thrust from the Pegasus turbofan. It would only be able to glide
like a normal fixed wing aircraft. Only autogyros, helicopters, tilt-wing,
and tilt-rotor craft have auto-rotation capablity. And only when the wings
or rotors are in vertical flight mode on tilt-wing and tilt-rotor craft.
Most modern attack and fighter aircraft do not have a very favorable power
off glide profile.

#  "Calling Garland operator 7G," EVE           Email megazone@wpi.wpi.edu    #
# MEGAZONE, aka DAYTONA, aka BRIAN BIKOWICZ     Bitnet Use a gateway. Sorry.  #

jln@elaine19.stanford.edu (Jared Nedzel) (12/05/90)

From: jln@elaine19.stanford.edu (Jared Nedzel)
In article <1990Dec4.002219.9452@cbnews.att.com> sasbrb@unx.sas.com (Brendan Bailey) writes:

>From: Brendan Bailey <sasbrb@unx.sas.com>
>    What is auto-rotate for the av-8b?  Someone I know said that the av-8b
>doesn't have it.  Do some have it and some don't or do none of them have
>this feature?  What capability does this give a plane(harrier?) that has it?

Autorotation is the method used to land a helicopter after its engine(s)
have failed. As best as I understand it, the method essentially involves
managing the rotational energy remaining in the rotor blades. Depending
on the helicopter, they will stay rotating for 5-8 seconds after the
engine quits. When the engine quits, the pilot flattens the pitch on the
rotor blades (to conserve energy) and dives for the ground. At the last
minute, the pilot flares, using the stored energy to slow the helicopter.
All helicopter pilots are taught autorotation during training. The ability
of a helicopter to land in a small area during autorotation significantly
helps their safety.

As for autorotation in a harrier, I don't see how that could be possible.
The harrier does not have rotor blades. The Harrier hovers buy using
vectored thrust from the engine. If the engine isn't turning, you don't
have any thrust. Like any plane, the pilot could try a dead-stick
landing, but I understand that is rather hazardous in high-performance
jets.

--
Jared L. Nedzel
e-mail: nedzel@cive.stanford.edu

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (12/06/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
>    What is auto-rotate for the av-8b?  Someone I know said that the av-8b
>doesn't have it.  Do some have it and some don't or do none of them have
>this feature?  What capability does this give a plane(harrier?) that has it?

Well, the AV-8B wouldn't have it because it is not a
helicopter! Autorotation is an emergency maneuver
used in helicopters: the downward motion of the helicop-
ter is used to drive the rotor around by giving the rotor
blades a negative pitch angle. The tail rotor is also
decoupled. It is the helicopter equivalent of gliding.

Autorotation is used when the engine quits.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (12/11/90)

From: Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges)

In <1990Dec4.002219.9452@cbnews.att.com> sasbrb@unx.sas.com (Brendan Bailey) writes:

>From: Brendan Bailey <sasbrb@unx.sas.com>
>    What is auto-rotate for the av-8b?  Someone I know said that the av-8b
>doesn't have it.  Do some have it and some don't or do none of them have
>this feature?  What capability does this give a plane(harrier?) that has it?

Auto-rotation does not exist for any fixed wing aircraft, only for
helicopters.

An auto-rotation (or auto as it is sometimes referred to), is done
when the motive power to the rotor systems ceases to function (e.g.
the engine quits).

Since the helicopters derives it's lift from the spinning of the rotor
system, when the rotor stops spinning, the helo will drop like a rock
(probably with the rotor blades broken off, since they are held rigid
only by centripital force when in flight).

An auto consists of lowering the collective pitch control (this controls
the pitch of the main rotor blades), neutralizing (or feathering) the
main rotor blades.  In addition, a target airspeed is set by using
the cyclic to provide some forward velocity.

In the configuration, the rotor system will continue to spin, "storing"
energy for hopefully a soft landing.  When you are close to the ground,
the collective is pulled up, increasing the AOA of the main rotor blades,
slowing the descent.  In addition, rear cyclic is used to slow the
foward velocity.  Then a "normal" landing is made, reducing the
collective until contact with the ground is made.

Note:  when I started by helicopter training, we did autos in the
first lesson starting from 1000' agl in a Robinson R-22.  With
it's light rotor system, autos were fast (1500 fpm down, 50-55 KIAS
foward velocity).  That works out to about 45 seconds to lower
the collective, set the airspeed, and look for a place to land.

Since the Harrier is an airplane, not a helicopter, it will glide
just like any other airplane.

--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)