[sci.military] Trailers on Tanks

mav%lizardo.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Marc Alexandrovich Volovic) (12/09/90)

From: Marc Alexandrovich Volovic <mav%lizardo.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

During WWII the Soviet Army used to hitch troop sleds to their tanks, for
speed in infantry advance. The losses were probably extreme (the sleds were
open and quite unprotected).

[mod.note:  The Red Army also used armored sleds in Finland, and this was
copied by the Germans later on; but it was never common practice in
either army. - Bill ]

 Marc A. Volovic                           email: mav@lizardo.huji.ac.il
 Linguistics Dept                          snail: P.O. Box 23114
 Hebrew University                                Jerusalem, 91230
 Jerusalem, Israel                                Israel
                       Linguists do it cunningly

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (12/11/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: Marc Alexandrovich Volovic <mav%lizardo.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

> During WWII the Soviet Army used to hitch troop sleds to their tanks, for
> speed in infantry advance. The losses were probably extreme (the sleds were
> open and quite unprotected).

  Unless drivers are REALLY GOOD - it's all too easy to flip a trailer
  pulled by a tracked vehicle.  Since a tracked vehicle tends to turn
  on its central axis - the rear end swings wide with every 'jerk'.

  The last time I allowed my M577 Command Carrier driver to pull a 10KW
  generator trailer - he flipped it making a tight turn.   I was none too
  happy - either was the owner of the Gasthaus that the trailer rolled into -
  neither was the burgermeister of the town....neither was...................

  mike schmitt