[sci.military] Avoiding draft by being gay

PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu (12/07/90)

From: <PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu>
Since the US Armed Forces do not accept homosexuals into its ranks, claiming
to be gay may become a much-used method of avoiding the draft (should it
be re-instituted).  Does anyone know how the military would screen draftees
who claimed to be gay?  Surely, there must be some requirement to prove
this and a way to prove it, so it won't be used as a way to avoid service.
---
L. GORDON PAISLEY, PAISLEY@AUVM.AUVM.EDU
THE AMERICAN UNIVERSITY
WASHINGTON, DC USA

rja@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Allen) (12/09/90)

From: rja@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Allen)

In article <1990Dec7.011900.1441@cbnews.att.com> PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu writes:
+
+
+From: <PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu>
+Since the US Armed Forces do not accept homosexuals into its ranks, claiming
+to be gay may become a much-used method of avoiding the draft (should it
+be re-instituted).  Does anyone know how the military would screen draftees
+who claimed to be gay?  Surely, there must be some requirement to prove
+this and a way to prove it, so it won't be used as a way to avoid service.

    A person I was acquainted with, who was in the Marines in Vietnam, said
    some people tried this while he was in boot camp.  Reportedly the Drill
    Instructors forced the claimees to perform oral sex on them.

    Whether this is an urban legend remains to be seen, but, it's not in-
    concievable.
--
    Robert Allen, rja@sun.com		DISCLAIMER: I disclaim everything.

    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
     by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw

honig@ics.uci.edu (David Honig) (12/12/90)

From: honig@ics.uci.edu (David Honig)
In article <1990Dec8.222759.28503@cbnews.att.com> rja@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Allen) writes:
>From: rja@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Allen)
>
>In article <1990Dec7.011900.1441@cbnews.att.com> PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu writes:
>+From: <PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu>
>+Since the US Armed Forces do not accept homosexuals into its ranks, claiming
>+to be gay may become a much-used method of avoiding the draft (should it
>+be re-instituted).  Does anyone know how the military would screen draftees
>+who claimed to be gay?  Surely, there must be some requirement to prove
>+this and a way to prove it, so it won't be used as a way to avoid service.
>
>    A person I was acquainted with, who was in the Marines in Vietnam, said
>    some people tried this while he was in boot camp.  Reportedly the Drill
>    Instructors forced the claimees to perform oral sex on them.

If "forced", this would constitute rape.  I don't believe the military
condones this?  The claimees could say that they aren't interested in the
Sargeant...

[mod.note:  Further, it would seem that the sergeant could not possibly
take this test far enough to prove or disprove anything, without
disqualifying himself from service.  8-)  - Bill ]

>    Whether this is an urban legend remains to be seen, but, it's not in-
>    concievable.
>    Robert Allen, rja@sun.com		DISCLAIMER: I disclaim everything.

Would claiming that one had a substance abuse problem keep one out?
Before induction I can imagine it would; afterwards it might lead to
various within-service "therapies", but if you persisted, its hard to
see how you could be trusted to be reliable.  I've read that in the
60's you could smoke a joint at your physical and they'd take you,
they were so desparate to throw corpses at Vietnam; given current
attitudes this might be seen as a more heinous offense.

--
David Honig

"The complexity of the brain boggles the mind.  Obviously."