[sci.military] Wright-Patterson AFB Museum

v073nqa6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Elvin Y Chan) (11/30/90)

From: v073nqa6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Elvin Y Chan)

Last summer when I had planned a trip up to Dayton for the airshow, we were
 going to make a stop over at Wright - Patterson AFB museum.  Got a brochure
from the Museum and they had quite a number of planes there on display.
  They didn't include a listing, but had the silouhettes laid out in the
 hangar. From this diagram and pictures they have a B1-A and a YF-12 or SR-71.

Has anyone been there and can give their opinions of the museum?

							-elvin chan

smpod@helios.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan) (12/04/90)

From: smpod@helios.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan)
In article <1990Nov30.020610.7079@cbnews.att.com>, v073nqa6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Elvin Y Chan) writes...
>Has anyone been there and can give their opinions of the museum?

It's probably the best musuem for aircraft on this continent!

34X3TAN%CMUVM.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu (12/04/90)

From: <34X3TAN%CMUVM.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu>
I have been there twice.
My suggestion is to go there and be ready to spend a day or two at the place.
Other suggestions:
    National Air Space Museum in Washington D.C.
    George C. Marshall space flight center in Huntsville Alabama.

:jhk

(**********************************************************)
(*       JEFF KAVANAUGH,UNDERGRAD                         *)
(*       CMUVS 34X3TAN                                    *)
(*       'MORE CHAOS FOR THE DOLLAR,PLEASE.....           *)
(**********************************************************)

james@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Gillespie) (12/04/90)

From: J Gillespie <james@castle.ed.ac.uk>

v073nqa6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Elvin Y Chan) writes:

>From: v073nqa6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Elvin Y Chan)

>Last summer when I had planned a trip up to Dayton for the airshow, we were
> going to make a stop over at Wright - Patterson AFB museum.  Got a brochure

>Has anyone been there and can give their opinions of the museum?

They've got an SR71.  I've seen it.  From outside the fence - don't go on a
Monday, they shut early. :-(
--
   __          /~~~~~~~~\
    /         /   @  @   \    "Happiness is being famous for your financial

demon@desire.wright.edu (12/05/90)

From: demon@desire.wright.edu

In article <1990Nov30.020610.7079@cbnews.att.com>, v073nqa6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Elvin Y Chan) writes:

> From: v073nqa6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Elvin Y Chan)
>
> Last summer when I had planned a trip up to Dayton for the airshow, we were
>  going to make a stop over at Wright - Patterson AFB museum.  Got a brochure
> from the Museum and they had quite a number of planes there on display.
>   They didn't include a listing, but had the silouhettes laid out in the
>  hangar. From this diagram and pictures they have a B1-A and a YF-12 or SR-71.
>
> Has anyone been there and can give their opinions of the museum?

	It's a great museum.  I live here, but IMHO it's worth a few hours
trip.  It used to have a YF-12, which they replaced with a SR-71 last summer.
Also, B1-A, XB-70, F-111, B-17 (walk through),...

	If you are thinking about visiting, make it soon.  They are talking
about closing the annex (seperate display area with about 30 planes) due to
budget constraints...

Brett
bkottmann@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil

john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) (12/07/90)

From: newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III)

In article <1990Dec4.001618.8532@cbnews.att.com> smpod@helios.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan) writes:
> From: smpod@helios.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan)
> In article <1990Nov30.020610.7079@cbnews.att.com>, v073nqa6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Elvin Y Chan) writes...
> > Has anyone been there and can give their opinions of the museum?
> It's probably the best musuem for aircraft on this continent!

Although many of the planes are not on display due to budget problems.
The annex building is closed to the public, and part of the original
building is closed.  Also, some of the outdoor planes on display have been
moved across the runway into storage (such as the B-1A).

I think that it is silly of them to be spending large sums of money
building an I-Max theatre when they cannot afford to keep the buildings
open and lights turned on.

After complaining to the museum director, he indicated that they will
be able to open the pre-WWII display next spring, they are planning to
re-open a new & improved space display, but the annex might not ever
open agian.

As far as collections go, the USAF has an extensive list of planes, but
all of them are strictly for static display.  There is nothing like the
thrill of seeing those planes fly--which is why I personally support
organizations like the Confederate Air Force, Yankee Air Force, the
Kalamazoo Air Zoo, and the Planes of Fame.

Also, if you like to photograph planes, the USAF museum is a difficult
place to work in.  The planes are jammed in and poorly lit.  Especially
the Valkarie.  It is worth it to visit places like Lackland AFB or Dyess
AFB to get nice outdoors shots of each plane.  It is true, however, that
the USAF has many one-of-a-kind planes, such as some of the X planes.

If you enjoyed the USAF museum, there are a few others that you should
check out.  The Navy air museum is in Pensacola Florida, the Army air
museum is at Ft Ruker in Alabama, the Air Force Armorments museum is at
Elgin AFB near Pensacola Florida, and the SAC museum is just south of
Omaha Nebraska.

The SAC museum also has their planes jammed togather real close.  I did
find that I could get a good picture of the B-36 by driving around the
base on the access road and then shooting over the fence through an
opening in the trees.  Then drive away real quick before the MP's get ya!

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

tohall@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave Hall (Sverdrup)) (12/09/90)

From: tohall@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave Hall (Sverdrup))
In article <1990Dec7.011417.616@cbnews.att.com>, newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) writes...
>If you enjoyed the USAF museum, there are a few others that you should
>check out.  The Navy air museum is in Pensacola Florida, the Army air
>museum is at Ft Ruker in Alabama, the Air Force Armorments museum is at
>Elgin AFB near Pensacola Florida, and the SAC museum is just south of
>Omaha Nebraska.

   Another museum that I used to enjoy during trips to the Macon GA area
is at Warner Robbins AFB. They have a nice indoor museum with WWII displays
(Uniforms, small arms, Norden Bombsite ...) and an outdoor layout that includes
B-52, F-4, F-1XX, P-51, B-29 plus other goodies.

                           DH

Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (12/11/90)

From: Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges)

In <1990Dec7.011417.616@cbnews.att.com+ newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) writes:

+I think that it is silly of them to be spending large sums of money
+building an I-Max theatre when they cannot afford to keep the buildings
+open and lights turned on.

The museum is completely funded by donations for operating expenses, such
as building the new Modern Flight Gallery and the IMAX theater.

I wasn't aware that the B-1A had moved.

+After complaining to the museum director, he indicated that they will
+be able to open the pre-WWII display next spring, they are planning to
+re-open a new & improved space display, but the annex might not ever
+open agian.

Usually, displays are closed to improve the displays.   The reason the
annex is closed is that the 4950th Air Base Wing provided bus transportation
to the Annex from the main museum.  With the recent budget cuts, the
4950th couldn't afford the money each year to run the busses ($46,000
according to the local press).  Moral -- complain to Congress, not
the museum.

+Also, if you like to photograph planes, the USAF museum is a difficult
+place to work in.  The planes are jammed in and poorly lit.

Photography in the museum is challanging, but not too difficult.  I've
probably shot 50 rolls of film in there (both B&W, color print, and
color slide), and have never had any problems.  My recommended
equipment - 28mm lens, 50mm lens, and an auto flash with a range
of at least 50 feet (I use a Vivitar 283).  My main problem is the
number of people!

--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)

stu@cis.ohio-state.edu (Stuart L Labovitz) (12/13/90)

From: valinor!stu@cis.ohio-state.edu (Stuart L Labovitz)
newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) writes:

> In article <1990Dec4.001618.8532@cbnews.att.com> smpod@helios.lerc.nasa.gov (
>
> Although many of the planes are not on display due to budget problems.
> The annex building is closed to the public, and part of the original
> building is closed.  Also, some of the outdoor planes on display have been
> moved across the runway into storage (such as the B-1A).

I drive past the AF Museum annex and restoration hangers daily on my way
to/from the Air Force Institute of Technology (also located at WPAFB).  The
B-1A was located at the restoration hangers for a extended period of time
this fall, but for the purpose of _repainting_ the aircraft!  The B-1A,
which formerly had a dark green paint scheme, now has a white paint scheme
with black markings (a "test plane" configuration).  It was moved back to
the museum from the restoration hangers around a month ago.

Additionally, the annex was closed this summer for two reasons (that I heard
of, at least):  the 2750th Air Base Wing was no longer able to supply bus
transportation (due to budgetary constraints), and the annex hanger itself
was undergoing some sort of repairs.  (As a result of the work in the annex
hanger, many of the weather-worthy aircraft normally stored inside the annex
hanger were parked outside near the restoration hangers.  What a sight!)
The annex has been re-opened for limited hours (and limited number of days)
recently, as the museum director was able to re-budget some funds in order
to pay for bus transportation to and from the annex.

                            Stuart L Labovitz
                                  home:   valinor!stu
                                  work:   slabovit@blackbird.afit.af.mil

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;
	and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
		-- Albert Einstein

disclaimer:  All statements made above are strictly own, and do not reflect
(by _any_ stretch of the imagination) the official positions of my employer
(the USAF)!