[sci.military] FIGHTER PILOTS LACKING 20/20.

MPC3@Lehigh (12/11/90)

From: MPC3@Lehigh

Charles Allen,
     I am currently enrolled in the Air Force ROTC program here at
Lehigh University, competing for a pilot slot.  As far as I know,
All pilots (fighter to transport) must have 20/20 vision.  There
may be some regulation about what a pilots vision is allowed to
drop to after he is in and been trained.  They're not taking in
pilots with less than perfect vision.

                                 Michael P. Colalillo
                                 mpc3@ns.cc.lehigh.edu

dxb105@csc.anu.edu.au (12/13/90)

From: dxb105@csc.anu.edu.au

Ed(ward?) Mannock was a telephone technician, working for a British company in
Turkey when Turkey entered the first world war. He was imprisoned as an enemy
alien, but released, at the age of twenty-nine, in poor health. Somehow he
wangled himself training as a pilot, despite being almost blind without his
glasses. He scored ~72 kills, and, I think, survived the war.
David Bofinger	AARNet:	dxb105@phys.anu.edu.au
                Snail:	Dept. of Theoretical Physics, RSPhysS, ANU, ACT, 2601
"To our friends, the good guys. And to our enemies, the bad guys. And to the
hope that someday we will be able to tell the difference." - Keith Laumer

gjuy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Andrew D. Williams) (12/15/90)

From: gjuy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Andrew D. Williams)
Michael P. Colalillo writes:
> stuff deleted...
> Lehigh University, competing for a pilot slot.  As far as I know,
> All pilots (fighter to transport) must have 20/20 vision.  There
> may be some regulation about what a pilots vision is allowed to
> drop to after he is in and been trained.  They're not taking in
> pilots with less than perfect vision.
Hi,
The Air Force regulations for selecting pilots state that the
candidate must have 20/20.  For me it worked this way.  I was
selected as a pilot during my Junior Fall Semester.  It turns
out that the physical they used was from my Senior Spring of
High School.  When I got to LATR (Light Aircraft Training
ROTC,) where they look to screen candidates based on flying
skills, my vision was 20/40 (Left) and 20/50 (Right.)  That
posed no problem.
Later,

--
Andrew D. Williams
Cornell University Law School                  Educational Technologies

anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) (12/15/90)

From: anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee)

There was also a German ace in WWII who wore sunglasses (actually
glasses to correct his shortsightness) to hide his shortshightness.

--
Anthony Lee (Michaelangelo teenage mutant ninja turtle) (Time Lord Doctor)
ACSnet:	anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz	TEL:+(61)-7-371-2651