[sci.military] Draft policies

pjas@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Paul Jasinski) (12/07/90)

From: pjas@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Paul Jasinski)

Could someone please send me some of the current draft information.  Most
of all the policies on a college waiver, if there is an age preference
(i.e. 20-25, 19, 18?).  and anything else that may seem interesting or important

References would also be greatly appreciated.

thanks -

paul	(IN%"pjas@uhura.cc.rochester.edu" or pjas_ss@uordbv  (bitnet)

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (12/09/90)

From: mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires)
In article <1990Dec7.011754.1253@cbnews.att.com> pjas@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Paul Jasinski) writes:

>Could someone please send me some of the current draft information.  Most

My understanding is that there is no college waiver; one can finish out the
semester or the year if one is a senior.  There are age preferences but I've
forgotten them (being 45).

As a CO during the Vietnam War I've noticed that the current draft law was
written in such a way as to make it very difficult to obtain either the
old 1-0 or 1-A-0 statuses.  Formerly people who knew that they would
file could file SS-150 at age 18, which provided some evidence of prior
intent; currently there is nothing in the official record although those
in the peace churches are filing unofficial statments with their pastors
or meetings.  The new law also is written in such a way as to invalidate
(at least at first glance) much of the case law built up during the
1960's and '70's, which is undoubtedly one of its goals.
--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent H. Besler) (12/15/90)

From: bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent H. Besler)
To the best of my knowledge, if the draft is reinstated it will work as
follows.  Students would be allowed to finish out the current school
year.  The age preference would be 20,21,22,25,24,25,26,19,18.  I saw
another post on sci.military that indicated that students would only be
allowed to finish the current semester, year would apply  to seniors
only.  There are approximately 1.5 million men registered in each age
category.  Declining cars insurance rates and being ineligible for the
draft are some of the few benefits of aging.

dlw@springs.cis.ufl.edu (Dave Wilson) (12/17/90)

From: dlw@springs.cis.ufl.edu (Dave Wilson)

In article <1990Dec15.013236.15113@cbnews.att.com> bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent H. Besler) writes: (in part)

>To the best of my knowledge, if the draft is reinstated it will work as
>follows.  Students would be allowed to finish out the current school

As a former Army enlisted man, and current civilian, I've been wondering
exactly what my status would be in the event of a draft.  I'm 27, so I'm not
too concerned, but what about people who have been in, been discharged, but
are still eligible for the draft?  Are they in the same group as everyone
else, or are they classed as "prior service?"

There must be some precedent for this.  My father used to say "I've done my
time, and now they'll take the women and children before me", but I'm not
so sure he was right.

Dave Wilson (SGT, 84B)
dlw@beach.cis.ufl.edu