[sci.military] Brewsters vs Hurricanes/Spits

dand%tekgvs.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Dan C Duval) (12/17/90)

From: Dan C Duval <dand%tekgvs.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

>From: fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)
>
>??!!  Who was flying Hurricanes and Spitfires where a Finn would
>have a shot at them?

(This is from memory, so forgive minor errors, please.)

The USSR. Hurricane-2's were Lend Leased to the USSR in '41/'42 and
I recall that later versions were sent later in the war as well (but the
latter is a little shakey of a memory.) I believe the first Spits
(Mark IXs were the first sent, I think) were sent in '43 or '44.

If someone wants exact types/dates/number of aircraft, email me and I'll
dig it up. Come to think of it, if you have a copy of "Scorched Earth"
(or know someone who has one), the Lend-Lease Availability Table for
the Soviets will indicate approximately when and what types were sent
to the USSR (though the number of planes is pretty abstracted at that
level.)
-----
Dan C Duval	Tek Labs;Tektronix, Inc.; dand@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM
				(after 21 Dec, dand@sail.LABS.TEK.COM)

Hello. I'm Dan's signature line. What are you?