[sci.military] JATO units

simons@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU (Joshua Simons) (12/09/90)

From: think!simons@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU (Joshua Simons)

I'm looking for information on JATO units. What kind of thrust do
they supply and how long do they burn?

Thanks for any info.

-josh simons

--
simons@think.com
thinking machines corporation

MEDELMA@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU (Michael Edelman) (12/11/90)

From:         Michael Edelman <MEDELMA@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU>
With regards to Josh's inquiry, I have read that JATO units were basically
made of asphalt and a perchlorate as oxidizer- probably ammonium perchlorate.
Asphalt makes a very good fuel; stable, lots of carbon, and lots of other
solids to add mass to the exhaust.
Similar solid fuel engines have been made in more recent times using
high molecular weight polymers; one, I recall was made from the stuff they
make plastic garbage bags from together with an oxidizer.
   --mike edelman   medelma@cms.cc.wayne.edu   medelma@waynest1

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (12/17/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
>I'm looking for information on JATO units. What kind of thrust do
>they supply and how long do they burn?

Hehehe

There is currently a thread going in Sci.aviation
and Rec.pyrotechnics concerning Jato units. Most
seem to have metal containers and use a fuel con-
taining asphalt and an oxidizer, or thiokol rubber
and an oxidizer (which led to questions about
how Morton Thiokol got its name, and how it got
into the rocket business, and whether the salt
came before the missiles or the other way around...).
The units used on C-130s supposedly produce about
1000 pounds (approx. 4500 N) and burn for approxi-
mately 30 seconds.

Now.. you weren't thinking of mounting these on
your car, were you? 9-)

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !