[sci.military] Hartmann and Marseille

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: Paul Stafford <pauls@hpsrdcb.hp.com>
>>tactics of Erich Hartmann... the greatest ace of all time, who scored
>>352 confirmed kills between 1942 and 1945 without ever getting hurt or
>>losing a wingman.
>
> not exactly- as I recall, he was shot down 7 times, and collided with
>target wreckage at least once, downing himself in the process...

In fact, he was shot down 16 times and bailed out twice (ref: Edward H.
Sims's "The Greatest Aces"), and in fact he was captured (briefly) once.
However, my statement still stands:  he was never hurt, and never lost
a wingman (although he once came close, when a very inexperienced wingman
had to bail out).  He was also proud of the fact that not once was his
aircraft hit by fire from an enemy fighter -- all his losses were to
ground fire or bomber defensive guns.

> N.B.: IMHO, the best aerial shooter was Hans Joachim Marseille, who, with only
>152 kills was much lower on the totem pole, typically used only 10 or so
>*shells* per kill, and often came back from his flights( over N Africa) with
>7-10 kills. Cited by both sides as the greatest off angle shooter.

However, I have heard some doubts raised about his total kill count, on the
grounds that British records do not fully support it; some of his kills may
have been cripples who made it home.  (Mind you, Sims mentions one problem
that complicates records checks:  Marseille frequently confused Hurricanes
with the Curtiss fighters that were also in use in Africa.)  He was
unquestionably in a class by himself in gunnery, however, even if he was
occasionally a bit *too* economical with his ammunition. :-)
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

drraymond@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Darrell Raymond) (12/15/90)

From: drraymond@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Darrell Raymond)
In article <1990Dec12.031305.10254@cbnews.att.com>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>From: Paul Stafford <pauls@hpsrdcb.hp.com>
>> N.B.:IMHO, the best aerial shooter was Hans Joachim Marseille, who, with only
>>152 kills was much lower on the totem pole, typically used only 10 or so
>>*shells* per kill,

and Henry adds:

> He was
> unquestionably in a class by himself in gunnery, however, even if he was
> occasionally a bit *too* economical with his ammunition. :-)

  I'd like to put in a plug for George "Buzz" Buerling (sp?), a Canadian
who participated in the defence of Malta.  Perhaps not as great as Marseille,
but Buerling was reputed to have been able to use few shells, but able to
tell how many and where they hit.  I think Buerling had around forty kills
in total before he himself was shot down.

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (12/17/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)

*> (Of Erich Hartmann:)
*>In fact, he was shot down 16 times and bailed out twice (ref: Edward H.
*>Sims's "The Greatest Aces"), and in fact he was captured (briefly) once.
*>However, my statement still stands:  he was never hurt, and never lost
*>a wingman (although he once came close, when a very inexperienced wingman
*>had to bail out).  He was also proud of the fact that not once was his
*>aircraft hit by fire from an enemy fighter -- all his losses were to
*>ground fire or bomber defensive guns.

Well, the last time he bailed out, it
was due to being surrounded by a half
dozen of so Mustangs. Realizing he was
either going to be shot down or run out
of gas, he opted to bail out.

*>> N.B.: IMHO, the best aerial shooter was Hans Joachim Marseille, who, with only
*>>152 kills was much lower on the totem pole, typically used only 10 or so
*>>*shells* per kill, and often came back from his flights( over N Africa) with
*>>7-10 kills. Cited by both sides as the greatest off angle shooter.

He was also unorthodox in not always
fighting at full throttle. Sometimes
he'd cut the trottle and extend the
flaps to turn inside his opponent.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (12/18/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
>  I'd like to put in a plug for George "Buzz" Buerling (sp?), a Canadian
>who participated in the defence of Malta.  Perhaps not as great as Marseille,
>but Buerling was reputed to have been able to use few shells, but able to
>tell how many and where they hit.  I think Buerling had around forty kills
>in total before he himself was shot down.

The defence of Malta for some time was carried out by
three Gloster Gladiator biplanes (dubbed Faith, Hope
and Charity). Was Buerling one of the Gladiator pilots?
Pretty amazing, considering they faced an enemy with
far superior numbers of higher performance aircraft.