[sci.military] Weather and unrelated trivia

WHITEMAN%IPFWVM.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu (12/21/90)

From:         WHITEMAN%IPFWVM.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu
JLH@PSUVM.PSU.EDU writes:
>Does anyone know if there is a way to find out the current weather conditions
>at US Military Bases? Reason I am asking is that my son is stationed at Camp
>Covington in Guam. I talked to him this morning and he said they are bracing
>for Typhoon Russ which is expected to hit Guam sometime during the next 48
>hours and is expected to do major damage to the island. I would like to track
>this and future storms but I don't know how to get the data. Any help would
>be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There are several discussion groups on BITNET that deal with weather. Here
is a list of ones that I know of:

WX-LSR           WX-LSR@UIUCVMD    WX-LSR Local Storm Reports and other local WX
WX-MISC          WX-MISC@UIUCVMD   WX-MISC Miscellaneous WX products
WX-NATNL         WX-NATNL@UIUCVMD  WX-NATNL National Wx Summary and Selected Cit
WX-PCPN          WX-PCPN@UIUCVMD   WX-PCPN Precipitation WX products
WX-SPOT          WX-SPOT@UIUCVMD   WX-SPOT weather spotters and coordinators
WX-STLT          WX-STLT@UIUCVMD   WX-STLT Satellite interpretive messages
WX-SWO           WX-SWO@UIUCVMD    WX-SWO Severe Weather Outlooks
WX-TALK          WX-TALK@UIUCVMD   WX-TALK General weather discussions and talk
WX-TROPL         WX-TROPL@UIUCVMD  WX-TROPL Tropical Storm and Hurricane WX prod
WX-WATCH         WX-WATCH@UIUCVMD  WX-WATCH WX Watches and cancellations
WX-WSTAT         WX-WSTAT@UIUCVMD  WX-WSTAT WX Watch status and storm reports
WXSPOT-L         WXSPOT-L@UIUCVMD  WXSPOT-L weather spotters and coordinators

While I'm at it and at the risk of appearing to be less than well informed:

[mod.note: Any volunteers to assist in preparing an "Answers to Frequently
Asked Questions" for this newsgroup ?  - Bill ]

       Does anyone know what a "Wild Weasel" is? I have seen this
       term used, but I don't know if it is an aircraft or a mission.

[mod.note:  A Wild Weasel is an aircraft equipped with electronic
and other countermeasures, with the purpose of deceiving and/or
attacking enemy air defense systems. - Bill ]

       Why are tanks equiped with smooth bore guns?

[mod.note:  Because modern tank munitions (HEAT and APDS) do not require
spin for stabilization, using fins instead. - Bill ]

       How many KC-135's and B-52's are in the inventory?

       I have heard that an F-16 needs as many as 50 microprocessers
       in it to keep it flying; fact or fiction?

       In the late 60's B-52's carried, under each wing, a missile
       called the "Houndog"; I met a guy that claimed to be involved
       in the testing of that weapon. It was his claim that the Houndog
       was about 10% effective. Is this fact or fiction?

Yours,
S. K. Whiteman

.... despite the best efforts of engineering, the devotion and
energy of test pilots and crews, the input of the best brains in
the business - somewhere, invisible but always waiting, was a
great genie in the sky who would without warning let down his
pants to desecrate the sacred pillar of science.
                                              E. K. Gann
                                          Fate is the Hunter