[sci.military] Marines get M1s

x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu (Bergman Charles CDT) (12/07/90)

From: x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu (Bergman Charles CDT)
I read somewhere that the Commandant of the Marine Corps has asked General
Vouno of the Army for immediate delivery of a battalion of M1A1 tanks.  It said
something like the Marines had order M1A1s, but wouldn't get them for a while
and wanted to draw their tanks from Army stocks.  It said the Marines had M1s
at Camp Pendelton right now converting a battalion to the M1.  Has anyone else
heard anything about this.  The Marines are using M60A1s in Saudi now and might
feel unconfortable going on the offensive with these tanks.

The article mentioned that General Vouno has owed a favor to General Gray since
the Marines loaned LAVs to the Army last year for the 82nd.

BEAT NAVY
   GO ARMY!
Charles K. Bergman
x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu              ***********************
CDT CPL, USMA'93                     * Charlie don't surf! *
P.O. Box 54, U.S.C.C.                ***********************
West Point, NY 10997

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (12/11/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: x35147d3@usma8.usma.edu (Bergman Charles CDT)
>I read somewhere that the Commandant of the Marine Corps has asked General
>Vouno of the Army for immediate delivery of a battalion of M1A1 tanks.  It said
>something like the Marines had order M1A1s, but wouldn't get them for a while
>and wanted to draw their tanks from Army stocks.  It said the Marines had M1s
>at Camp Pendelton right now converting a battalion to the M1.  Has anyone else
>heard anything about this.  The Marines are using M60A1s in Saudi now and might
>feel unconfortable going on the offensive with these tanks.
>
>The article mentioned that General Vouno has owed a favor to General Gray since
>the Marines loaned LAVs to the Army last year for the 82nd.

 The marines ordered 215 M1A1 Abrams tanks but have not yet received
 delivery of any of them.  Army agreed to loan the marines 106 M1s and by
 October had already delivered 36 to the marines at Twentynine Palms, Calif.
 A marine tank battalion began training in them by late October.

 Question:  What's the TO/E for a marine tank battalion?  36?
            The TO/E for an Army M60A3 tank battalion was 54 tanks (5 tanks
            to a platoon.)  What's the current TO/E for an M1 tanks
            battalion (4 tanks to a platoon?).

 mike schmitt

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (12/12/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Marine Tank Platoons have five tanks, not four.
Each Company is three platoons and a two tank HQ (total of 17)
Each Battalion is four companies and five tanks in the HQ (total of 73 per Bn)

Allan

curt@uunet.UU.NET (Curt Fennell) (12/21/90)

From: fmrco!curt@uunet.UU.NET (Curt Fennell)
In article <1990Dec11.021100.28328@cbnews.att.com> bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) writes:
> Question:  What's the TO/E for a marine tank battalion?  36?
>            The TO/E for an Army M60A3 tank battalion was 54 tanks (5 tanks
>            to a platoon.)  What's the current TO/E for an M1 tanks
>            battalion (4 tanks to a platoon?).

The TO/E for a Marine Tank Battalion is 4 tank companies of 17 tanks each, plus
2 HQ tanks for 70 tanks.   Each company has 3 platoons of 5 tanks each and a
HQ section with 2 tanks (1 for the CO and a blade tank for the XO) and one
M88 tank recovery vehicle. Also, a truck and a jeep are common.
Curt Fennell			|Fidelity Investments 	   	|
fmrco!curt@uunet.uu.net		|82 Devonshire St. (I40C)	|
(617) 570-2614			|Boston, MA 02109        	|