[sci.military] '86 U.S raid on Libya

dfc@Corp.Sun.COM (Dan Currie) (12/20/90)

From: dfc@Corp.Sun.COM (Dan Currie)

Does anyone know of any good books or articles about the U.S. raid on
Libya in '86? I have seen more information on it lately. Originally I
though there were just U.K. based F/B-111's involved, but now I have
read that F/A-18's were used with HARM missles aimed at radar
installations and that some A-6's bombed a Libyan airstrip and
destroyed some 24 combat aircraft. Any comments or articles I can
reference?

--
	Dan

jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky) (12/22/90)

From: jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky)

> From: dfc@Corp.Sun.COM (Dan Currie)
>
> Does anyone know of any good books or articles about the U.S. raid on
> Libya in '86?

I recommend David C. Martin and John Walcott's BEST LAID PLANS (Harper and
Row, 1988)

BEST LAID PLANS is a very good book which I am sure would
be interesting to many readers of sci.military.  In addition to the Libya raid,
it desribes the abortive attempt to rescue the Iranian hostages in 1980,
US operations in Lebanon in 1983 and thereabouts,  the intercept of the Achille
Lauro hijackers and other experiences in the Mediterranean and Middle
East.  Martin and Wallcot convey the real difficulty of military operations,
which contrasts with the sort of Tom Clancy-ish view so many people seem to
have.

- Jon Jacky, University of Washington, Seattle jon@gaffer.rad.washington.edu