[sci.military] "Computer Models Leave U.S. Leaders Sure of Victory"

jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky) (12/19/90)

From: jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky)

That's the headline for this story from THE SEATTLE TIMES,
Dec. 17, 1990, p. A3:

COMPUTER MODELS LEAVE U.S. LEADERS SURE OF VICTORY by Robert C. Toth,
Los Angeles Times

... Computer models of ground warfare convince the administration it can
deliver on its promise of an overwhelming victory.  An Army assessment of US
and Soviet-made Iraqi equipment --- from tanks to rifles --- shows that the
United States has an edge in quality to compensate for its numerical
disadvantage. ...

When such assessments are factored into opposing ground-combat units and the
forces are pitted against each other in war games, the conclusion by Pentagon
and many non-government experts seems to be the same: "We'd crush them," said
Joshua Epstein of the Brookings Institution.

Iraqi numbers, including its million-man army, should not be a problem, added
Barry Posen of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  "If anything, we
might begin to address the ethical question of how much slaughter you want to
inflict on his forces if war comes." ...

Computer modelling for a ground war is based on assessments of the U.S. Army
War Gaming Agency of the combat value and combat effectiveness of 10 types of
weapons. ... Effectiveness ratings were determined for (... tanks and ...)
other weapons categories from artillery to small arms.  A rifle is valued at
1.0, a machine gun at 1.77, a 155 mm howitzer at 1.02 and a MLRS rocket system
at 1.16.  (... etc. ...)

The combat value, or relative weight, of the weapon categories were decided by
a team of experienced battlefield commanders.   Most valuable, they decided,
are attack helicopters, followed by artillery, tanks, scaling down to small
arms.

When the number of weapons in a U.S. armored division is multiplied by those
effectiveness ratings and their combat value, the resulting total --- about
130,000 --- becomes the Armored Division Equivalent at 1.  All other units can
be measured against that standard.  A U.S. infantry division, for example, is
given an ADE of 0.5, or half an armored division.

Epstein and his associate, Alf Hutter, calculate that all U.S.-led forces in
Saudi Arabia will be valued at 17.6 ADE's by February, when the buildup is
completed.  They calculate that Iraqi forces in Kuwait will be valued at 7.4
ADE's, and those in northern Kuwait and southern Iraq at 9.6 ADE's.

That appears to place opposing forces in balance, but the Iraqi forces are
widely dispersed in defense, offering a challenge of only 2.3 ADE's for U.S.
forces in the "main attack sector."

Epstein's bottom line, based on his modeling, is an 18-day war.  The first six
days would be used for air strikes to establish control and soften up Iraqi
ground forces.  In the next six days, the ground attack, breakthrough and
movement northward would take place.  The final six days would be used to mop
up.  Casualties would be about 15,000 (with 25 percent dead), he said, although
they could range from 3,600 to 22,000.

Posen said such models understate the U.S. advantage because they do not
reflect the better training, logistic supplies, command and control, and other
qualitative edges.  "We will have total control of the air," he said. ...

U.S. forces wil be able to concentrate at their intended attack point to reach
a jump-off advantage of 5-1, Posen said, because of the U.S. expectation that
Iraqi artillery --- the usual weapon to prevent such concentrations behind
enemy lines --- will be largely wiped out.

"We are very good at counter-battery fire," he said, pointing to special radar
to locate any Iraqi artillery batteries that could then be assaulted with
massive, rapid-fire artillery weapons and the Multiple-Launch Rocket Systems.
One MLRS volley of 12 rockets is supposed to have the same effect as 72 rounds
of 155 mm howitzers.

"In just artillery alone, we figured we could delivery 500 tons of metal
(artillery shells) on his positions in only one hour," Posen said.  "We
astonished ourselves with that figure."

[ And so on.   There were a few caveats: "There are doubters...  skeptics
  remain unpursuaded... experts .... warn that unpredictable events could
  turn the most modern technological projections into catastrophe ...  - JJ]

- Jon Jacky, University of Washington, Seattle jon@gaffer.rad.washington.edu

FQV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (jim bowers) (12/20/90)

From: jim bowers <FQV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
In article <1990Dec19.010219.24876@cbnews.att.com>, jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon
Jacky) says:

>"We are very good at counter-battery fire," he said, pointing to special radar
>to locate any Iraqi artillery batteries that could then be assaulted with
 If radar uses a balistic solution to figure out the location of
 artillery, won't this be all screwed up if rocket assisted projectiles
 are used?  These don't follow a simple ballistic path.

                         Jim  Bowers

emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) (12/21/90)

From: emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery)

>From: jim bowers <FQV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
>If radar uses a balistic solution to figure out the location of
>artillery, won't this be all screwed up if rocket assisted projectiles
>are used?  These don't follow a simple ballistic path.

I believe that the radar takes enough data points to calculate the
actual trajectory, based either on a ballistic trajectory, or on a
rocket-assisted trajectory.  It probably can assume (but I'm guessing
here) that the rocket burn is "stable" (i.e. constant over a period of
time, or has other known characteristics) when it calculates the
trajectory of a non-ballistic "bullet".

				dave

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (12/22/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery)

> I believe that the radar takes enough data points to calculate the
> actual trajectory, based either on a ballistic trajectory, or on a
> rocket-assisted trajectory.  It probably can assume (but I'm guessing
> here) that the rocket burn is "stable" (i.e. constant over a period of
> time, or has other known characteristics) when it calculates the
> trajectory of a non-ballistic "bullet".

  From what I understand the U.S. countermortar/counterbattery system
  is not all that good (that's from some 'red-leg' friends of mine).
  We have the TPQ-4 Radar - but not enough of them.  Artillery really
  doesn't have dedicated tubes solely for counter-battery - their fire
  support mission take precedence over counter-battery missions.  And -
  I seem to recall - that "taking out the enemy's artillery" was a mission
  given to the Air Force as an "interdiction" mission - preceeded by
  F4G Wild Weasels taking out the air-defense protecting the artillery.

  The Soviets, however, have more CB/CM radars spread across their frontage
  and dedicate their 180mm Guns to the counter-battery mission.  Even
  a four-digit plot (coordinate) will be fired on by a "battery volley 3".

  mike schmitt

emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) (12/28/90)

From: emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery)

>From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)
> From what I understand the U.S. countermortar/counterbattery system
> is not all that good (that's from some 'red-leg' friends of mine).
> We have the TPQ-4 Radar - but not enough of them.  Artillery really
> doesn't have dedicated tubes solely for counter-battery - their fire
> support mission take precedence over counter-battery missions.

> The Soviets, however, have more CB/CM radars spread across their frontage
> and dedicate their 180mm Guns to the counter-battery mission.  Even
> a four-digit plot (coordinate) will be fired on by a "battery volley 3".

Your red-leg friends are either hopelessly out of date or pulling your
(nonred) leg.  The Q-4 has been obsolete for 6 years or so.  The new
generation of radars are the TPQ-36 and TPQ-37*.  The former is
optimized for countermortar, and the latter is optimized for
counterartillery.  My National Guard unit has 1 Q-36 and 1 Q-37 (out
of 3 and 2 authorized, respectively), and a second Q-36 is expected
this year.  (They're not the fastest things off the assembly line.)
Our experience with them has been good, particularly the Q-36.  The
Q-37 has had some maintenance problems.  They both work as advertised,
and we love 'em!

Current artillery doctrine assigns an artillery brigade per heavy
division, and usually gives this brigade the counterfire mission.  In
exercises that I've participated in, counterbattery missions are often
the highest priority (except FPF) missions, particularly for general
support or reinforcing artillery.  This is especially true during
covering force operations or preceeding an attack.

There is a joint Army/Air Force group studying "JART" Joint Attack of
ArTillery, but counterbattery fire is still an Army Field Artillery
mission.

The Soviets are replacing their 130mm gun (what I think you meant when
you talked about a 180mm gun) with 152mm guns, and they'll dump a
"Battalion 3 rounds" (~160 rounds) if they get an opposing FA
position.  They have more counterbattery radars than the U.S., but
these radars are much less capable, and they're not tied into a
digital fire direction system.  The Soviet radars have much less
sophisticated signal processing, and they can be overloaded (too many
bullets to track) much easier than U.S. radars.  They also are much
more succeptable to U.S. ECM.  Once they do get a target, then they
have to get the target to a firing unit, get authority to fire, etc.
The Soviets set up "Reconaissance-Fire Strike Complex" to streamline
this process.  However, with the U.S. Q-36/Q-37 radars in hostile
fire, auto-send mode, the radar will automatically transmit a fire
mission to a receiving FA computer (either Tacfire at battalion or BCS
at battery) as soon as it detects a target.  It's quite possible to
have counterbattery rounds in the air against the enemy unit before
his rounds have landed.  My guard unit practices this digital
communications, and the damn stuff actually works!

				dave emery
				(CPT, FA, NHARNG
				 197 FA Brigade Counterfire Officer)

*  Credit dept:  Both radars were built by Hughes Ground Systems.
Except for an occasional leak in the Q-37, they're very well
engineered systems.

wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford) (12/28/90)

From: wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford)
jon@cs.washington.edu writes:
  (A long newspaper article deleted.)

  This article worries me.  (I was going to bring it over when I saw it on
comp.risks, but found it had already been posted.)  Does anyone know what
methods are being used to calculate the combat values, and whether anything
other than simple strength is taken into account?
  I am reminded of a simulation in which I once participated with similar
mechanics; my side lost the war game because the opposition used their naval
power on us...hundreds of miles inland.

  "As capabilities rise, system storage       -wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com
capacity...will increase beyond the normal
user's ability to fill it."  -GURPS Cyberpunk, p67

gd@dciem (Gord Deinstadt) (01/05/91)

From: cognos!geovision!gd@dciem (Gord Deinstadt)

wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford) writes:
>  I am reminded of a simulation in which I once participated with similar
>mechanics; my side lost the war game because the opposition used their naval
>power on us...hundreds of miles inland.

This is clearly a problem with the method cited, since it reduces strength
to a single dimension (one variable).  But with as few as two variables,
other problems arise.

It is possible (not inevitable) that a game with five players on a two-
dimensional surface does not have a Nash equilibrium.  That means that
the competition between them never stabilizes; no matter what alliance is
formed, one of the members can always better his position by defecting to
the opposing alliance.

I believe (going out on a limb here) that you can transform players to
situations, ie. instead of five players imagine five successive battles,
each at a site offering different advantages and disadvantages to each
of the two combatants.  In this case the outcome of the war depends on
the _order_ in which the battles are fought, even if everything else is
nailed down.  It's like the game of paper-scissors-rock; there _is_
no way to predetermine a winner.

In fact one way of looking at grand strategy is as an attempt to manipulate
the number of variables acting.  If you're big, you make yourself bigger in
the hope that your enemies will perceive you in a one-dimensional way; too
big to mess with.  You make the outcome certain by adopting strategic
weapons which guarantee that war will be one big battle.  But if you're
little, you try to make the game more complicated.  If forced into war,
you use guerilla tactics which lead to lots of little battles.

In this light Hussein is foolish to threaten the use of strategic weapons;
he cannot win that game and only simplifies the situation to the benefit
of his enemies.  Iraq's isolation can be said to arise from acting like
a great power when in fact it is not.
--
Gord Deinstadt  gdeinstadt@geovision.UUCP

demon@desire.wright.edu (01/07/91)

From: demon@desire.wright.edu

In article <1990Dec19.010219.24876@cbnews.att.com>, jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky) writes:

> From: jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky)
>...text about computer models predicting victory

	Two items of caution:

1)  Computer models allways carry the bias of the programmers and users.  I'm
sure the US TOW missile was rated higher than the Russian anti tank missiles,
but Egypt proved infantry with RPG's and Sagger's could decimate Isreali tank
units with American weapons.  Iraq will do the same unless M1's have infantry
support.

2)  In 1942 the Japanese held war games to predict the outcome of the Midway
operation.  The US player allocated his carriers NW of Midway and decimated the
Japanese forces, sinking two carriers and severely damaging a third.  The
Japanese player protested the rules and the referees agreed.  Two Japanese
carriers were refloated and the Japanese declared the winners.  So much for war
games.  The enemy will never react the way you plan...

Brett
bkottmann@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil