[sci.military] More on angled flight decks

tighe@hydra.convex.com (Mike Tighe) (01/12/91)

From: tighe@hydra.convex.com (Mike Tighe)
From: ron@hpfcso.fc.hp.com (Ron Miller)

> I'm amazed to see how many variations there are on "why do carriers have
> angled decks" in this forum. Some are correct, and some are focusing on
> secondary benefits.

> The simple answer is to allow a "touch-and-go" if the hook doesn't catch
> the wire instead of a "touch-and-crash-into-the-barrier-or-other-airplanes"
> of the old straight deck designs.

> If he'd been landing on a straight deck ship, I might have been a
> fatherless child upon the first pass :-(

What an angled flight deck can do, that a straight one cannot (safely), is
allow for the simultaneous launching and recovering of aircraft.

>From your message, it appears you do not think that a "touch-and-go" was
possible before the angled flight deck. It was. I doubt you would have been
"fatherless" if your father had been required to land on a straight flight
deck, since your father's landing attempt[s] would not be attempted until
the forward deck was clear. However, this would prevent the launching of
aircraft, and by angling the flight deck, this problem was solved.

Mike

PS: During Carrier Quals, F-14 did perform full-length "touch-and-go" on
    angled flight decks.