[sci.military] Nitrogen Powered Aircraft

hpb@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Harry P Bloomberg) (01/10/91)

From: Harry P Bloomberg <hpb@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

   This week's Aviation Week contains the obituary of Kelly Johnson, the
founder of Lockheed's Skunk Works.

   One item in this article really caught my attention:

   "...[Kelly] stopped work on the CL-400 nitrogen-powered reconnaissance
aircraft, an intended successor to the U-2 when he determined the aircraft
would not have adequate performance."

   Anybody have any more information on this airplane?  And how does
nitrogen propulsion work?  I've never heard of it.

Harry Bloomberg

ccoprmd@prism.gatech.edu (Matthew DeLuca) (01/12/91)

From: ccoprmd@prism.gatech.edu (Matthew DeLuca)

In article <1991Jan10.025633.3978@cbnews.att.com> hpb@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Harry P Bloomberg) writes:

>   "...[Kelly] stopped work on the CL-400 nitrogen-powered reconnaissance
>aircraft, an intended successor to the U-2 when he determined the aircraft
>would not have adequate performance."
>
>   Anybody have any more information on this airplane?  And how does
>nitrogen propulsion work?  I've never heard of it.

If AvWeek stated this, they made a serious error; the CL-400 was to be a
*hydrogen* powered plane, code-named (I believe) 'Suntan'.  The cause
of its demise was primarily that to achieve the required range, the plane
would have been too big and cumbersome.  Not to mention that in the timeframe
we're talking about, late 50's/early 60's, hydrogen propulsion wasn't really
up to the level of being used in operational aircraft; it's only now that it
is again being seriously considered, in the X-30 project.

--
Matthew DeLuca
Georgia Institute of Technology      Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,

chem001@hoss.unl.edu (Jonathan Skean) (01/12/91)

From: chem001@hoss.unl.edu (Jonathan Skean)
In <1991Jan10.025633.3978@cbnews.att.com> hpb@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Harry P Bloomberg) writes:
>   "...[Kelly] stopped work on the CL-400 nitrogen-powered reconnaissance
>aircraft, an intended successor to the U-2 when he determined the aircraft
>would not have adequate performance."

Since nitrogen is the gas which makes up the bulk of the Earth's
atmosphere, its use as a fuel would be a great event in the history of
technology.  Perhaps Aviation Leak meant to say "Hydogen".  Or maybe the
CL-400 worked on compressed air, like a kid's baloon released to fly
free!
--
Jonathan Skean U of Nebr Chem CHEM001@HOSS.UNL.EDU JSKEAN@UNLCDC2.BITNET
           _INFINITI_ "Wi maik karz az gud az wi spel!"