[sci.military] Moderator Goof

STOSC::TCOMEAU@SCIVAX.STSCI.EDU (Tom Comeau @ Space Telescope Science Institute) (01/14/91)

From:    "STOSC::TCOMEAU"@SCIVAX.STSCI.EDU (Tom Comeau @ Space Telescope Science Institute)
>From: sun!apple!cup.portal.com!Eric_S_Klien

>If anything happened elsewhere in the world we would be in deep trouble.
>Remember that 100% of our active duty cargo ships are being used.  We
>are also starting to run out of reserve ships.  There has been some talk
>of reactivating the old Victory ships.  ...

>[mod.note: I think those are "Liberty" ships, not Victory ships. - Bill ]

No, he meant Victory ships.

Liberty ships were built in response to a British request for a generic
cargo vessel that could be quickly built -- an "off the peg" approach to
building new shipping.  (See Dan Van der Wat, _The_Atlantic_Campaign_
for a brief discusion.)  Victory ships were built later in the war, and
were a slightly improved design which could be built even faster.  No
Liberty ships remain in the Military Sealift Command reserve or the
National Defense Reserve Fleet, but 77 Victory ships remain in the NDRF,
supposedly availble on 60 to 90 days notice, but many are very old an of
doubtful servicability.  (See The International Institute for Strategic
Studies, _The_Military_Balance,_1990-1991.)

tc>

[mod.note: Rats.  8-)  I guess I should clarify my purpose in interjecting
little corrections like that one.  My goal is not to show off my vast
knowledge, but rather to head off the numerous corrections that would be
sent in by the sharp-eyed readers of this group.  Win a few, lose a few.
8-)  - Bill ]