[sci.military] F-14 in VietNam

tighe@hydra.convex.com (Mike Tighe) (01/12/91)

From: tighe@hydra.convex.com (Mike Tighe)
From: ron@hpfcso.fc.hp.com (Ron Miller)

> An assertion has been made over in rec.arts.movies that the F-14 was
> deployed to carriers whose A-6 aircraft were flying missions in Viet Nam.
> (Subject is the movie "Flight of the Intruder")

> Can anyone shed some facts and references on the subject? Dates, perhaps?

Carrier trials for the F-14 began in June of 1972 on-board the USS
Forrestal. In October of 1973, VF-1 and VF-2 (USS Enterprise) began
receiving F-14's. VF-1 became the first operational F-14 squadron to
qualify for daytime carrier operations in March 1974. The first deployment
of the F-14 was on-board the USS Enterprise in September of 1974.

The only VietNam era F-14 missions I know of were CAP missions. The first
was for the evacuation of Saigon in April of 1975, and the other was for
the Mayaguez rescue in May of 1975. As far as I know, they did not engage
any enemy aircraft.

I have not yet seen FOTI, but from your message, I would say if the movie
implies that the F-14 was operational while US forces were in-country, that
would be inaccurate.

mpm@cbnews.att.com (Michael P Millar) (01/14/91)

From: mpm@cbnews.att.com (Michael P Millar)
>From article <1991Jan12.013542.26088@cbnews.att.com>, by tighe@hydra.convex.com (Mike Tighe):
>
> The only VietNam era F-14 missions I know of were CAP missions. The first
> was for the evacuation of Saigon in April of 1975, and the other was for
> the Mayaguez rescue in May of 1975. As far as I know, they did not engage
> any enemy aircraft.

I was stationed in Hawaii in 1975 with a Navy Patrol Squadron and
went down to Pearl to see the Big "E" pull in after the Frequent Wind
operation.  I had a very good buddy who was in VF-1 on this first deployment
of the Tomcats.  I recall asking him if they had flown missions
while on station off the coast of Vietnam. He said there were still
so many bugs in the aircraft that very few left the deck during that
time.  I also think they were also afraid of losing any at that stage of
the war.  His and My opinion was that having the Tomcats there was really
a show of force that if necessary could be put to use.  But what did we
know being your basic Navy Petty Officers?   While I suppose technically
you could call the F-14 a Vietnam-era aircraft, I don't believe there is
the remotest chance anybody flew it in combat during that time.

On another F-14 topic, it is not in "Flight of the Intruder".  I saw the
film at a sneak preview in Columbus Ohio on 10 Jan.91 and if the aircraft
was in it then it was flown at night with no lights on!  I will not
spoil the film for you but I will say this,  I thought it a better
picture than TOPGUN but still not all it could of been.  The character
portrayal was pretty weak.  Willem Defoe was pretty good as "Cole, Virgil Cole"