[sci.military] Alpha Jet

Mikko.Hyokki@lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki) (01/08/91)

From: Mikko.Hyokki@lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki)

What kind of a plane is the Alpha Jet? I just read in the newspaper that
the Germans are sending eighteen of 'em to Turkey.

BTW, what kind of planes does the Luftwaffe use? Tornados, F-16's, F-15's ?

Thanks in advance for the information.

--
==How can you call me evil?======I==crusader@kannel.lut.fi==I===DEATH=TO=====
I Have you spoken to God today...I  Punkkerikatu 1 B 22     I  FALSE METAL  I

finnegan@elaine14.stanford.edu (Tso-Sheng Tsai) (01/14/91)

From: finnegan@elaine14.stanford.edu (Tso-Sheng Tsai)
In article <1991Jan9.041138.19583@cbnews.att.com>,
jln@portia.Stanford.EDU (Jared Nedzel) writes:

|> >BTW, what kind of planes does the Luftwaffe use? Tornados, F-16's, F-15's ?
|>
|> The Luftwaffe has a lot of F-4s and Tornados. No F-16s or F-15s. They used
|> to have F-104s, but I think they've retired them by now (Italy still has
|> F-104s and has deployed a small number to Turkey).

And most of Luftwaffe and Italian Air Force's retired F-104s had been
sold to Taiwan.

Taiwan? Yes, the poor Taiwan always meets problems to buy modern weapons.
They have no choice!

Internet: finnegan@portia.stanford.edu                   Tso-Sheng Tsai
Bitnet: finnegan%portia@stanford.bitnet

ccsupeh@prism.gatech.edu (Eric Hoffman) (01/14/91)

From: ccsupeh@prism.gatech.edu (Eric Hoffman)

In article <1991Jan12.010306.22058@cbnews.att.com> news@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de writes:

>From: <news@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
>No, it was build by Dornier (german) and Aerospatiale (french).
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nope, the Alpha Jet is a co-production from Dornier and Dassault.
It is used purely as a trainer by the French Air Force for jet conversion, and
'ecole de chasse'(fighting school) since initial training is done now on
Aerospatiale Epsilon (there are still a number of Fouga Magister for initial
training at Salon de Provence (French Air Force Academy), but there is not
much potential left on these airframes. They are also rated as being
too forgiving for students mistakes). The French Navy is using a modified
version of the Fouga, named Zephir, for training purposes, but these
aircrafts are also reaching their limits, and a naval version of
the Alpha Jet might replace them soon.
Germany is using its Alpha Jet for ground attack, as do a number of
african countries.

A couple of years ago Dornier and Dassault were marketing a reengined
Alpha Jet with new avionics (Mirage 50 head up display or something like
that) under the name of "Lancier". I don't recall that they were very
successful.

Eric
--
Eric Hoffman, Office of Information Technology, High Performance Computing
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332-0710

welty@sol.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (01/15/91)

From: welty@sol.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

*
*
*From: ccsupeh@prism.gatech.edu (Eric Hoffman)
*Nope, the Alpha Jet is a co-production from Dornier and Dassault.
*It is used purely as a trainer by the French Air Force for jet conversion,
..
*Germany is using its Alpha Jet for ground attack, as do a number of
*african countries.

Jane's states that both the training and ground attack roles were
intended from the outset for the Alpha jet design, and that Germany
replaced its Fiat G91Rs with Alpha jets.

richard
--
richard welty         518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York
welty@sol.crd.ge.com                 ...!crdgw1!sol.crd.ge.com!welty