[sci.military] Our war games are no better!

jbasara@uunet.UU.NET (jim basara) (01/16/91)

From: ssdc!jbasara@uunet.UU.NET  (jim basara)

>2)  In 1942 the Japanese held war games to predict the outcome of the Midway
>operation.  The US player allocated his carriers NW of Midway and decimated
>the Japanese forces, sinking two carriers and severely damaging a third.  The
>Japanese player protested the rules and the referees agreed.  Two Japanese
>carriers were refloated and the Japanese declared the winners.  So much for
>war games.  The enemy will never react the way you plan...

>Brett
>bkottmann@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil

During my time in the Air Force, I heard stories about generals at the
Warrior Preparation Center ordering the simulation operators to speed their
AWACS up to mach+ in order to avoid being obliterated by a chasing MIG.
This is only an example of what happens during simulations in order to save
a general's reputation.  The bottom line was that a general should never
be embarrased by such things as leaving his AWACS' ass out in the wind.  It
may affect his career.

Over the next few months, we will likely find out some of the generals
who required this type of assistance.

jim basara
uunet!ssdc!jbasara